NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

The same could be said about any time he goes too. I personally think Minnesota or Chicago would bring out the best of him. As far as I can tell the Packers haven't ran the same offense for the past 16 years but I could actually be wrong on that one. It just makes sense that it would've changed after the coaching change, and that brought out the best of Brett. In Minnesota he'd be motivated, and he'd be a mentor. And heck even if he had a mediocre year I'm sure Tavaris wouldn't have done much better since a mediocre year for Brett is still quality. His only truly bad season was 2004 and in hindsight it looks more like a fluke then last year being a fluke.

You're right. They actually changed systems when McCarthy took over. Most notably they moved to the zone blocking scheme.

So the last couple years, he's been working in a new system so it's not inconceivable that he could have success elsewhere. Plus, in both Tampa Bay and Minnesota, he has connections to the guys running the team and/or offenses so I'm sure they would also look to simplify/help him out in that regards.

ESPN is reporting that he has spoken with Tampa Bay. They said he doesn't like the idea of playing in New York. ESPN is also reporting that the recieved a text message from a family member that says that the family as a whole is sorry that it could not work out here in green bay but they are considering another bay.

Heh by detrimental to everyone you mean to the rest of the division. I can see serious problems emerging with Brett in Minnesota. That division is wide open and with Brett and AP teamed up I could see them making a push for the playoffs.

Woah, woah, woah. Wide open? The Vikings have it wrapped up already unless the Packers and Favre make nice, he becomes their starter again and they play as well as last year which is unlikely. The Pack have enough to go .500 or so but not much more, while the Lions haven't done anything to convince me they can be better than last year and the Bears still have questionable QB & WR situations, a question mark over the running back spot and a defense that relies on one injury-prone player being healthy. The Vikings have a great running game, an improving passing game and one of the better defenses in the NFL. They're two or three games ahead of every other team in the North.

Agreed. If Favre leaves Green Bay, the North is the Vikings for the losing. The Bears have questions at QB and WR AND RB, being that they're putting hoping that their rookie will not "Cedric" it. The Lions are such a huge question mark the last few seasons, but odds are they'll not finish better than 9-7. Green Bay, as someone said will probably do 8-8 with Rodgers, but can't be expected to do much more.

I've also heard Chicago is a possible destination for Chris Simms, in the unlikely event that Gruden wants to lose one from his QB collection. But to be honest, given the sheer blind faith (however unwise) that has been put in Rex and Neckbeard, I wouldn't be surprised if there's no move made at all. It's a peculiar situation.

In other trade news, there's rumblings around the Panthers front office that they're considering trading away Steve Smith after his latest incident.

A possible destination...Dallas.

If Dallas were to get Smith, it'd be hard to predict anybody else winning the NFC. That is, of course, assuming Romo's able to win in the playoffs.

I can't imagine the Panthers trading Smith, he is their offense.

That being said if he's on the block, ship them a first rounder Jerry, do it now

They made a very good point on First Take (during one of the 1st and 10 segments) the other day that the whole Favre situation more or less is due to Ted Thompson flexing his muscles and that its probably going to bite him in the ass; people may be siding with the Packers and supporting Rodgers as the QB, but when the Packers fail with him at the helm, Thompson will probably be hung or burned in effigy.

I do think Favre is being picky and bitchy, though; its partially his own gd fault for waiting until June to decide to come back and even worse that he's shot down just about every suggestion for a trade that's been thrown out there. I honestly don't think Green Bay will be willing to trade him to Minnesota for what they would want for him, since Favre is likely to only play for one or two more seasons, and even him as QB doesn't guarantee a Super Bowl win.

I'm a Cowboys fan and they're one of the favorites to win the NFC, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Favre led Vikings beat them and go to the Super Bowl instead, provided the Vikings actually win the Super Bowl. I'm going to laugh until I bust a gut if that happens or if the Packers do lousy with Rodgers. Because Thompson's ass would be grass in Wisconsin. I think Thompson is pretty much done as far as pro football is concerned if they let Favre go (though release or trade) or Rodgers turns out to be a bust, because NO ONE in their right mind would hire a GM who let a future Hall of Fame quarterback (especially one with a consecutive starts record) with a failure or subpar QB.....meaning Thompson would be limited to working for the Raiders or Lions. :P

You know what would be funny? The Packers release or trade Favre, and the next day (or last game of the pre-season, but next day would be better) Rodgers gets a serious injury.

Me, as Brett Favre if he's released and Rodgers gets injured:

*phone rings*

Brett: Hello?

Ted Thompson (on phone): Brett, we need you back. Aaron got injured and is out for at least half the season.

Brett: Fine. I'll come back.

Ted: That's great.

Brett: For $25 million.

Ted: *sigh* That will be fine. $25 million for at least half a season.

Brett: No. That's $25 million a game. *hangs up phone*

ESPN is reporting that he has spoken with Tampa Bay. They said he doesn't like the idea of playing in New York. ESPN is also reporting that the recieved a text message from a family member that says that the family as a whole is sorry that it could not work out here in green bay but they are considering another bay.

Nobody cares.

Nobody will ever care until he signs with Tampa Bay or is traded to them.

And what's with everyone being so anti-Rodgers? Give the guy a break!

I'm anti-Rodgers in the sense that there are a lot of key players on the Packers that don't have a very long window to get something done. Charles Woodson, most of their offensive line, Donald Driver, guys like that. There are some good young players in Green Bay, but you don't know when you're going to have a shot, and Brett Favre is the better choice looking at it right now.

I don't think Favre would even make Tampa Bay the choice to win that division. New Orleans is.

Nobody cares.

Nobody will ever care until he signs with Tampa Bay or is traded to them.

And what's with everyone being so anti-Rodgers? Give the guy a break!

Well I'm only anti-Rodgers because...well he sucks. I don't think the Packers are being very smart by not only having him be the starter, but also the amount of public faith they've put in the guy. Green Bay was a doormat team for 30 years between the Super Bowls and recently, Packer fans have become slightly greedy and don't want to go back to the losing ways. So what happens when Rodgers starts to show the same stuff he did in their scrimmage? They'll turn on him, Thompson and maybe even McCarthy for being dumbasses and getting rid of well...God to them.

In short, I'm just not buying Rodgers as a good QB. He comes from the same system that Kyle Boller (you as a Ravens fan should know how bad that is lol), Joey Harrington, Akili Smith and Trent fuckin' Dilfer have all come out of, have all been drafted in the first round, and ultimately failed in the NFL. Rodgers does have the benefit of sitting for a few years but even then, I'm not convinced that the team will be as good without Favre. If Favre hadn't acted like Superman, completing like 35 of 50 passes in the first few weeks of last season, they would've started out extremely poor and they wouldn't have had nearly as good a season. Not to mention that they lucked out big time when Grant started producing.

I think it's being generous when one predicts that the Packers will be any better than 8-8. And even then, they only get to 8-8 because of their defense and possibly Ryan Grant (who I'm not sold on either. He had a good 9 weeks but let's see him in a full season before we start saying he's in the top 20 fantasy RBs).

Edited by Livid

Yeah, plus the situation with Rodgers is a bit different, he's had what 3 years to learn the system and work on his mechanics? All the players you named got thrown into the fire pretty quickly. Rodgers certainly has the ability to be a QB in the NFL, it was just a matter of working on QBs because he was a dreaded Tedford QB.

The last meaningful game we saw Rodgers play in was against Dallas and he wasn't too bad at all. He's in an impossible situation, taking over as the starting QB on an NFC Championship team. And Brett Favre's indecisiveness has made it even worse but give Rodgers a chance to prove himself as a starter for more than a game or two.

The reason everyone is anti-Rodgers is that regardless of his 3 years as a clipboard jockey, he's never started a game in his career. Very few guys get through their first 300+ pass season with flying colors. He has the added pressure of inheriting a team that should have played in the Super Bowl AND he's replacing a legend. If the guy wins more than 10 games he should be the league MVP because he will have walked into an impossible situation and succeeded.