NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

6 actually and clearly it was the uniforms, not the fact that they were playing the Cardinals

What are you on about? The Cardinals are clearly the best team in the league, they must be to have beaten the Cowboys >_>

So that's Romo, Felix Jones, Hurd, Stanback, Adams, Kosier, Berger, Spencer, Newman, Williams, Watkins, Keith Davis and Mat McBriar all injured for the Cowboys. Six starters and all three of our strong safeties. Lovely.

Edited by AD

I'm guessing it's finally become unfashionable to hate on the Patriots...

While I speak of them: Cassel sucks, we need a new quarterback. No quarterback with playing time in the league is this bad, not even Dan Orlovsky. Defense is piss poor too, this looks like an ugly couple of years while that gets slowly rebuilt.

Speaking of Orlovsky, he's probably wishing the NFL was just like Shelton: a competent team that gets 10 wins and/or only 2000 people a week watching.

Edited by Lowerdeck

Matt Cassel is not as bad as Dan Orlovsky, no way. And way to overreact about the loss to the Chargers. You're missing your star QB, you're not going to beat the likes of the Chargers, Colts, hell even the Titans. The good thing is you're beating the teams you should be able to beat (bar the Dolphins who also beat the Bolts remember). I still think the Pats will make the Playoffs this year.

As for tonight's game, the Browns have finally realised the season has started and they're playing pretty well. Looks like one of those nasty knee ligament injuries for Brodney Pool though, his own player fell into the side of his leg on an interception return.

I'm guessing it's finally become unfashionable to hate on the Patriots...

While I speak of them: Cassel sucks, we need a new quarterback. No quarterback with playing time in the league is this bad, not even Dan Orlovsky. Defense is piss poor too, this looks like an ugly couple of years while that gets slowly rebuilt.

That will never become unfashionable and that's what you get for drafting a quarterback who couldn't even be a starter in college.

If Patriots fans start whining that their team doesn't win every game now, I'm gonna puke.

I'm generally not -too- much of a Patriot hater....but hey you can't expect to lose your star QB and win 16 regular season games. And as healthy as Brady has been the last few years, it was bound to happen eventually.

As for Cassel not being as good as Orlovski...I don't know. I haven't watched Cassel play, but I don't think the Lions would put up any points on the Chargers. But I bet if the Patriots are willing to give up some draft picks or something, the Lions would be willing to part with Kitna.

I've heard they may trade him during the season anyways.

If I were a Patriot's fan, I wouldn't be happy at all with the way the team didn't bring in a vet after Brady went down. There were plenty of names out there, Culpeper, Leftwich, Simms... as well as a few others that i am sure I missed. Again, none of these guys are going to be anywhere CLOSE to Brady, but to tell your team and fans that our the ENTIRE season rests on the shoulders of a guy who has never proven anything in the league is a tough pill to swollow.

... if the injury happened in mid season, I wouldn't feel the same way. However with the injury happening in week one, if I were a fan of the Patriots, I would find it frustrating that the team didn't even try and find a proven vet to back up Cassel.

If Patriots fans start whining that their team doesn't win every game now, I'm gonna puke.

I'm generally not -too- much of a Patriot hater....but hey you can't expect to lose your star QB and win 16 regular season games. And as healthy as Brady has been the last few years, it was bound to happen eventually.

I don't expect to win every game, that's totally unrealistic. I just would like to see closer contests, and improved play from certain aspects of the team's play.

Cassel only had 55 yards passing in the first half, he did have 200 or so total with one TD... alright, but covers up a lot of lackluster besides a good drive or two. Meanwhile the defense was getting torched in much of the game, and the game when they couldn't stop Ronnie Brown to save their lives.

If I were a Patriot's fan, I wouldn't be happy at all with the way the team didn't bring in a vet after Brady went down. There were plenty of names out there, Culpeper, Leftwich, Simms... as well as a few others that i am sure I missed. Again, none of these guys are going to be anywhere CLOSE to Brady, but to tell your team and fans that our the ENTIRE season rests on the shoulders of a guy who has never proven anything in the league is a tough pill to swollow.

... if the injury happened in mid season, I wouldn't feel the same way. However with the injury happening in week one, if I were a fan of the Patriots, I would find it frustrating that the team didn't even try and find a proven vet to back up Cassel.

You can blame that on The Hoodie's ego. He probably thought that Cassel could step right in like Brady did for Bledsoe.

Edit: And I'm so glad that I decided to take my buddy's bet on this game tonight. I had a feeling the Browns would give the Giants a good game tonight. Not to mention this will finally bring the Giants fans back down to earth now.

Edited by punky

2 things I noticed about tonight's game...

1. Does Ben Roethlisberger's mug always appear right at the beginning of the MNF opening? He was the only non-Giants/non-Browns player that they showed during the opening.

2. Braylon Edwards was shown wearing a Penn State t-shirt during that interview. Is that something he does? Wears Michigan's upcoming opponent's t-shirt the week they play them?

The Lions should really just play Stanton, he has more upside and I think can be a pretty good QB in the NFL. That said Orvlosky's not THAT bad, he just had a couple of mistakes, something you should expect when a guy who's barely played is starting for you, especially when he's in a Lions jersey. :shifty:

The Lions should really just play Stanton, he has more upside and I think can be a pretty good QB in the NFL. That said Orvlosky's not THAT bad, he just had a couple of mistakes, something you should expect when a guy who's barely played is starting for you, especially when he's in a Lions jersey. :shifty:

That safety he gave up was unexceptable.

Leftwich was already a Steeler when Brady got hurt. Culpepper sucks, and Simms is hardly a veteran, though I get your point. Plus Cassel at least knows the system. It's stupid to bring in a QB who's never been in your system and tell him to learn the playbook in a few weeks. Cassel would've had to start for a few weeks anyway. So you might as well put the team in the hands of the guy who knows the playbook. Plus, I can't see any FA QB being any better than Cassel right now.

Cassel's passer rating is 78.1, and he's ranked 19 overall. Among others, he's ranked above Kerry Collins, Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer, Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, and Matt Schaub. Some of those guys are obviously having terrible seasons, but are capable of performing well. And plus, you have Kerry Collins, playing for a team that is 5-0, below him. Matt Cassel isn't the Patriots' problem. The rest of the team needed to step up, and they have--but not enough to dominate. Plus, I'd argue (okay, CHFF would argue) that their poor draft classes have lead them where they are this season.

And I can't believe that Cleveland Browns fans just chanted "overrated" at the Giants. Maybe they were collectively doing it for the irony.

Edited by Plankton

That safety he gave up was unexceptable.

Not really. I mean, should he have known a bit more where he was on the field? Yeah but the guy was looking to make a play and kept his eyes downfield, looking to make a play to get them out from terrible field position.

It's definitely something he'll get flack for but to throw the guy under the bus just because of that is a bit much.

Cassel may have decent numbers but it's inflated by the fact that a lot of his completions are shorter passes. The guy's yet to really take a whole lot of shots downfield and when he has he hasn't been terribly accurate.

Edited by P52 Bomber

Cassel's passer rating is 78.1, and he's ranked 19 overall. Among others, he's ranked above Kerry Collins, Derek Anderson, Carson Palmer, Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, and Matt Schaub. Some of those guys are obviously having terrible seasons, but are capable of performing well. And plus, you have Kerry Collins, playing for a team that is 5-0, below him. Matt Cassel isn't the Patriots' problem. The rest of the team needed to step up, and they have--but not enough to dominate. Plus, I'd argue (okay, CHFF would argue) that their poor draft classes have lead them where they are this season.

And I can't believe that Cleveland Browns fans just chanted "overrated" at the Giants. Maybe they were collectively doing it for the irony.

I love CHFF, any site that talks about how great of a QB Ben Roethlisberger is, is fine by me.

Also, I HATE when teams chant "overrated" that's akin to saying "Wow, you guys lost to us. You must suck!"

I love CHFF, any site that talks about how great of a QB Ben Roethlisberger is, is fine by me.

Also, I HATE when teams chant "overrated" that's akin to saying "Wow, you guys lost to us. You must suck!"

Chase, you referencing Big Ben so much on EWB is beginning to reach Kornheiser/Favre proportions. :P

Plus, the Browns have been the most overhyped team of the season so far. No competition. I'll give them credit; they played a good game and acted like the team many expected them to be, but when you're 2-3 and have been touting your team as a Superbowl contender, maybe you should save the overrated chants for the playoffs if you're lucky enough to make it in.

Edited by Plankton

Chase, your referencing Big Ben so much on EWB is beginning to reach Kornheiser/Favre proportions. :P

I am John Madden and he is my Brett Favre. I just love the way he plays football and wills his team to victory. For my money he's the most clutch QB in the NFL and there's no one else I'd rather have as my QB in a big game.

But I'll shut up. :blush: