NFL 2008

Cactus Drags

Ah right.

Some odd franchise tags going around. Bengals don't tag Housh but instead go for Shayne Graham while the Falcons have slapped theirs on punter Michael Koenen. Broncos release Dewayne Robertson, Ravens cut Chris McAlister and the Bucs aren't going to re-sign Jeff Garcia.

Cutting McAlister had to happen, he costs too much and was just as effective as the cheaper backups who played for him later in the year. We need to get younger in the secondary, and this is definitely a start towards that. I don't suspect he'll be missed at all.

Indeed. Now hopefully we can re-sign Jim Leonhard :shifty:

I think everyone could see the Deuce McAllister cut coming, owed too much money for someone who'd probably be third on the depth chart. In other news the Broncos have released Dre Bly and the Cardinals have franchised Karlos Dansby.

When's the deadline for franchise tags and when does free agency officially start?

Right now the concensus around the league is that Tampa Bay could be a landing place for Albert Haynesworth. While he has said he would like to remain in Tennessee he is not going to give them a discount when it comes to his contract. Hush is also another reported target for Tampa.

Jeff Garcia may very well be a Bear come opening day of Free Agency.

I'm glad the Ravens released Chris McAllister, as long as their first round pick CB doesn't turn up to be an absolute stud. McAllister was the only the CB the Ravens had who the Steelers never really could completely own.

Plaxico Burress did when he was here, but that's it.

I don't think bringing in Jeff Garcia will help Chicago, unless it's in a veteran-backup type of role, which I doubt he'd be accepting of. The team needs to belong to Orton. He's proven he can play well, the ankle injury really messed him up. He's never going to develop properly or make the most of an opportunity if other guys are being brought in over him. If he were to compete with Garcia for the starting role, that'd be ok, but again I doubt Garcia's going to want that. I jsut think if the front office were willing to put up Grossman all those years, at the very least they owe Orton another year. Spend the cash on wideouts or the offensive line.

Jeff Garcia won't go to Chicago. Chicago, from what I've heard, has openly said they are looking to sign Simms, which I'm meh on. Kyle Orton had a 90.0 rating before he suffered that ankle injury, but a backup is needed in case Orton screws up.

Albert Haynesworth will not be tagged and will explore free agency while Suggs has been franchised. Also, Panthers are doing what they always do - wait 'till the last minute. They have yet to resign their franchise LT, Jordan Gross (which reports say they are trying to finalize a deal unless their agent is waiting for after 4:00pm tomorrow to see if a higher deal comes around) and Peppers has given a list of teams he wants to go to, the Bucs being one of them. I know one thing, Peppers better not give his hopes up. Carolina would never give a top five DE to a division rival unless they were given something BIG in return.

Peppers has given a list of teams he wants to go to, the Bucs being one of them. I know one thing, Peppers better not give his hopes up. Carolina would never give a top five DE to a division rival unless they were given something BIG in return.

Where did you get that from? The AP articles on NFL and ESPN say there are four destinations he has in mind, one of them is Dallas but the other three haven't been named.

As a Dallas fan I think it would be a phenomenal move to get Peppers because he'd make what is probably the weakest part of our defense a whole lot better. Especially with Canty possibly going to Miami or elsewhere. I'd love to see it happen but I don't think it will.

Peppers has given a list of teams he wants to go to, the Bucs being one of them. I know one thing, Peppers better not give his hopes up. Carolina would never give a top five DE to a division rival unless they were given something BIG in return.

Where did you get that from? The AP articles on NFL and ESPN say there are four destinations he has in mind, one of them is Dallas but the other three haven't been named.

As a Dallas fan I think it would be a phenomenal move to get Peppers because he'd make what is probably the weakest part of our defense a whole lot better. Especially with Canty possibly going to Miami or elsewhere. I'd love to see it happen but I don't think it will.

Peppers would play OLB in a 3-4 defense.

And imagine if you had DeMarcus Ware coming off one side and Julius Peppers the other.

Doesn't matter anyway, Peppers has been tagged.

I mentioned that because you said he'd take over for Chris Canty if he leaves.

Peppers has been tagged so that he can be traded.

I thought you weren't allowed to trade someone you tagged?

I don't know. I guess it wouldn't really be a trade. Another team would sign Peppers to an offer sheet, the Panthers would not match it and they'd get 2 first round picks from the deal.

Which will make it hilarious when Dallas gets Peppers, loses 2 first round picks, and once again misses the playoffs.