Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Just wondering how many folk still play this?

I had the standard edition and traded in the for the Game Of The Year edition when it came to PS3 a couple of months or so ago. Not that I've done anything on it yet that I couldn't do on the standard edition but still it's nice for the future.

I've played hours and hours but cos I'm an all round nice guy (in 30 days of in-game playing or something I've still not killed an innocent) and I carry out quests for people (not been randomnly delving into caves to level up, hence my amusing level 7). I've not even STARTED on the main quest yet as I just enjoy wandering, exploring, chatting and helping folk out. I'm a Nord Agent and love Bruma up North but have spent the last few days in the Capital and also in Skindred, tying up a few loose ends and righting wrongs in a Quantum Leap style.

Any stuff people want to share on good things to do, places to go, hints and tips or just discuss what they're up to if they're still playing.

Also, what's generally the best way to start bringing in the money? Flogging weapons from the fighters guild to the shops? Pickpocketing?

I'm in the Thieves guild so am not adverse to a bit of thievery.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oblivion was my first 360 game, and the only game I needed for at least two months. Not nearly as good as Morrowind, but still a pretty fine game.

To be honest if you're not a magic user the best way to make some serious cash is to search Ayleid Ruins for those blue stones (not Varla Stones - the white ones, those are useful to everyone) which I forget the names of right now. You can hock them for a pretty penny (I seem to remember them going for up to five hundred septims at times, a thousand for the varla stones if you feel like selling them).

If you're at level two or above you can join the Order of the Virtuous Blood and kill some vampires. Five hundred septims for every bit of vampire dust you bring them. With Oblivion's shoddy level scaling system vampires are pushovers. Just bring something with fire (spells, enchantments, etc) and you can take them down with one blow.

I've got Shivering Isles for PC but really didn't go too far in it. If you get the chance you should really head there, it's about twenty times more interesting than the standard Oblivion main quest and the world is more interesting to explore honestly.

One question for you though Hammy...has PS3 gotten the various DLC that PC and 360 owners got? Last time I checked it wasn't on PS3 for some strange reason.

I got the game of the year version about 2 months ago and still play it.

Don't do the main quest because you get extremely annoying oblivion gates popping up everywhere.

If you want to get money then level up. Your enemies carry more expensive weapons. And you'll be able to the arena which will get you quite a bit. Then you can go back every week and get paid. The higher the level, the harder the creatures, the bigger the cheque.

And you have to kill an innocent just for that Brotherhood quest where you get locked in the house. Save at the start of that quest so you can replay it. Theres so many things that could happen.

I love the game to bits on PC, particularly with all of the user created content you can track down and add. Some of the graphical and audio ones really do make the game into something spectacular.

Still playing it on and off on 360, just finished the main storyline, now I am working on the quest for the Crusaders Equipment. And to make money? Get very stealthy, break into homes, steal jewlery, books, items, anything with a price. And stealing the weapons from the Fighters guild is a good idea, as they aren't overly good after you get Glass/Dadreic equipment.

Just gone into a new mine and managed to get some decent spoils out of it - just wish I could get myself to carry more - need to level up my strength and carrying ability I think!

The goblins are generally annoying but not too dangerous so I think I can stomach wandering down from time to time to top up on lockpicks, gold, nuggets and a few bits and pieces for free.

That is one of the ways I earn a ton of money: picking up random crap and throwing it all together, and then selling all of it. I also like to go on raids of mines and forts quite a bit, and since I'm a high magic user with good strength, I can usually get most of the loot in one go.

The only problem I have with this game is that my roomate is really into fantasy type games, and spends hours upon hours on my console playing it. Granted I could be a bastard and say you can't play it, but I'm not that type of guy. The sad thing is when I'm playing a game and my friends want to eat or want to do something else, I'll pause, save, and stop the game. If my roomate is playing though, they'll finish up the quest, go into the town to sell the crap, get a new quest, explore a little bit, and THEN saves and quits. One time they were responsible for dinner, and it was a good 45 minutes AFTER we said we were hungry before the game was stopped.

Back to Oblivion, I find doing all of the side quests first before even starting the main quest to be quite fun and enjoyable, as I can roam around Cyrodil without running into those damn Oblivion gates.

86 hours of playtime over about 2 months. It pretty much took over my free time at one point.

Fantastic game though and a perfectly fine reason to buy any console. I spent most of my time as a thief, sneaking around castles and looting everything I found. Never killed anybody either unless they started on me (only fair tbh). I totally adore the game though and sort of wish I'd have gotten it on PC for the downloadable content like someone mentioned before.

I really should get back into this but i'm never any good at RPG's where you have to place stat points and such. I'm never sure what to put where and my build becomes crap. Plus you can't really grind in Obliv since everything levels up with you, or at least that is my understanding.

I was/am a Warrior, didn't touch the main quest but joined pretty much all guilds cept mage. Completed the Arena.

Edited by Lrrr of the Planet Omicron Persei 8

Like benji, I seem to greatly suck at making a character in this game. Once I get to about level 15, I seem to get raped everywhere I go by will o' the wisps. Plus, I seem to level quite quickly, gaining 2-3 levels in one dungeon. Plus, I dislike the fact that once you get to a certain point, all the enemies seem to carry the exact same equipment. I'm sure there are mods that correct some of these problems, but, I don't know where exactly to find them, or which among the thousands of mods available to download.

My build is a little weird I think as I'm overly good at some stuff but struggle fighting stupid timberwolves. Practicing in fights with a claymore has been helping though so I've been trawling around the night roads, literally jangling my coin purse for highwaymen and thugs who are easy to see off with the big ol' sword and easy to improve my stats.

Also, anyone made any inroads in the world of Vampire? I'm not gonna consider it, but reading up it seems quite interesting and an intruiging balancing act.

My girlfriend played as a Vampire during her game for quite a bit, probably 15-20 hours of gameplay time. It was interesting because she had to suck the blood out of people's necks in order to walk around during the daylight. There were so many times she went on a quest, took a long time to finish it, and by the time she was done she had to either rush to get inside or wait around until it was dark.

As for the difficulty and getting raped, I always just spent most of my money on healing potions, practically buying out the entire store when and if I had the chance. Kept me alive even if I was a weakling. I also do the kill some enemies and wait for an hour strategy, as it fills up all of your bars.

I kinda wish I didn't turn into a vampire, a pain in the ass. I don't use any of the abilities and every so often I have to find sleeping people, no fun.

But anyways, I got arrested, and when I was done...there was a creature I never seen before. It attacked me (with two zombie minions), and me and the guards proceeded to kill it. Turns out, this was a monster from the main quest I seem to have bypassed on my way out of some ruins (I tend to go in, run around till I find what I need, run out)....and he just found me. Interesting.

I kinda wish I didn't turn into a vampire, a pain in the ass. I don't use any of the abilities and every so often I have to find sleeping people, no fun.

But anyways, I got arrested, and when I was done...there was a creature I never seen before. It attacked me (with two zombie minions), and me and the guards proceeded to kill it. Turns out, this was a monster from the main quest I seem to have bypassed on my way out of some ruins (I tend to go in, run around till I find what I need, run out)....and he just found me. Interesting.

I've just progressed to level nine and suddenly I'm nicely tough. I wandered through a cave and destroyed all the goblins and a witch woman in there and got some excellent magic weapons (a bow that freezes and a claymore that does something good too) so, nicely tooled up, I wandered into another cave which turned out to be Vampire Central. Killed that lot, flogged their ashes, got my hands on loadsa plunder and set myself up well before heading over to the lake to check out this new opened gate, the ghostly mariner who wanders around, and an underground maze which is full of skeletons. Funfun.