War Films

brenchill

I was tempted to do this in list form but I think everybody's had enough of them. I never really cared much for War films but recently I've started to watch a lot more of them, I saw Full Metal Jacket a few years ago and wasn't too impressed by it but I watched it again today and thought it was great.

My favourite war film remains as Taegukgi (Brotherhood), though. The story's a bit farfetched and it's too obviously inspired by Saving Private Ryan at times. But where SPR only has one massive sequence (The D-Day landing), Taegukgi has plenty more and maintains the same intensity throughout the film. Aside from the three films I've already mentioned, honourable mentions go out to The Dirty Dozen, Paths Of Glory & Apocalypse Now.

Although I love Sonny Chiba dearly, this has to be worst I've seen:

g.i.-samuraiPDVD_01301.jpg

GI SAMURAI

The idea of an elite Japanese Commando Unit being transported back in time to fight an army of ancient Samurai's might look good on the back of the DVD box but it didn't look too good on screen, to put it mildly.

So, what are your favourite war films?

I've seen Platoon way too many times not to mention it. If the Great Escape counts it deserves a nod as well.

But if the film Ran counts it deserves to be looked at. It is essentially a Japanese retelling of Shakespeare's King Lear grafted onto the legend of Mori Motonari. As some may know I am a real sucker for Gustav Mahler, and he is a CLEAR influence on the films score. The entire film is so perfectly stylized it is almost like a rich dessert for eyes and ears of movie goers.

I'll echo Platoon, I love that movie.

Even though Last of the Mohicans isn't "modern warfare" (we're talking hatchets and muskets), it's still a great flick with some excellent battle scenes. I'm surprised so many people overlook it when mentioning some of the greatest films out there.

The 2005 follow-up to the Chiba movie: "Samurai Commando Mission 1549" is actually pretty cool.

Seven Samurai is brilliant with regards to a full battle (and is great for many other things), as is Ran. Both by Kurosawa.

I've recently bought Taegukgi from Woolworths (for £4 it'd be hard to turn down!) and also have an interesting double bill to watch: Flags Of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima. My bias will probably lend more to the second movie as an experience but I'm interested that the two have scenes that run together. Very clever and interesting.

Apocalypse Now is probably my favourite west-made War Movie just for the sheer genius of it.

Kingdom Of Heaven is much much better than is given credit for.

"Apocalypse Now: Redux" and "Cross Of Iron" top my list. "Redux" was an amazing experience in the movie theaters, and "Cross Of Iron" gets the nod for being one of the rarer films that explores the war from the German POV. Yeah, there have been recent movies that have done that as well, but they were more like dramas rather than war movies ("Downfall" is an AMAZING film however, heartily recommended for its potrayal of the last days of Berlin)

Although "Die Brüche" is a good film as well, however I don't think that it has survived the test of time that well. Very few war movies of the era have, in my opinion.

Edited by Bushmeister

Sergent York: What do war and turkey shoots have in common? In one of his best turns, Gary Cooper plays a drafted pacifist drafted who becomes an American hero when he single-handedly captures an enemy position using common hunting tactics. It's inspired by a true story, and truly inspiring.

Patton: The most complete and fascinating biopic in the military movie ranks (yes, it bests 'Major Payne'), it's an unforgettable journey through the eyes of General Patton (George C. Scott), a man who lived for war. Scott would've made Patton proud by refusing that horse-dung Oscar.

Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima: Both films are by Clint Eastwood and both are to be watched back to back as they tell the story of Pearl Harbor from each countries perspective.

The Longest Day: John Wayne at his finest.

Glory: The Civil War. Fucking great movie.

Braveheart: Sugartits.

Das Boat.

Apocalypse Now: I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.

Apocalypse Now is my all time favourite war movie, but since it's going to be brought up a lot, I'll say Catch 22 instead. A different perspective than the norm, I'd imagine, while still being deep enough under the sillyness to get the point across. Obviously not as good as the book but Alan Arkin is amazing.

Downfall is fucking superb. Has anyone seen the similar (I'm assuming) film, the name of which I can't remember, about Hirohito towards the end of the war? I saw it in HMV once, and haven't bothered tracking it down since.

Even though Last of the Mohicans isn't "modern warfare" (we're talking hatchets and muskets), it's still a great flick with some excellent battle scenes. I'm surprised so many people overlook it when mentioning some of the greatest films out there.

I'll second that. Last of the Mohicans is probably my favorite war movie. I figured I'd mention that since nobody else has.

Other than it's your typical Apocalypse Now, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Though I'd probably say Glory is my second favorite just because I'm kind of fascinated with the Civil War.

Also, I'm really looking forward to Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna.

Glory is a movie I've seen dozens of times and it is still easy to watch and I think its great.

I think my favourite, although I don't know if people will count this as this is War Films, is Band Of Brothers.