Punk Goes Crunk

tristy

Has anyone heard this? It was just officially released yesterday, but I think it leaked a few days before. Here's the tracklisting:

# "Put Yo Hood Up" - Set Your Goals (Lil Jon)

# "Got Your Money" - Say Anything (Ol' Dirty Bastard)

# "I Wish" - The Secret Handshake (Skee-Lo)

# "Men in Black" - Forever the Sickest Kids (Will Smith)

# "California Love" - My American Heart (2Pac)

# "I Wanna Love You" - The Maine (Akon)

# "Kryptonite (I'm on It)" - Emanuel (Purple Ribbon All-Stars)

# "The Seed" - Person L (The Roots)

# "Still Fly" - The Devil Wears Prada (Big Tymers)

# "Umbrella" - All Time Low (Rihanna)

# "Notorious Thugs" - Scary Kids Scaring Kids (The Notorious B.I.G.)

# "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang" - The Escape Frame (Dr. Dre)

# "Gin and Juice" - Hot Rod Circuit (Snoop Dogg)

# "Hey Ya!" - Lorene Drive (OutKast)

# "Tennessee" - New Found Glory (Arrested Development)

It's a decent installment in the "Punk Goes..." compilation album series. Highlights so far are the covers of "Put Yo Hood Up", "Men In Black", "California Love" and "The Seed". That's as far as I've gotten at the moment.

But, what I want to know, what are some other good "punk covers rap" type songs? doesn't even have to be "punk" either.

The only cover on that album that I was interested in was the Say Anything ODB cover... I just checked it out and aside from how he got around all the NGH lyrics I found it to be a huge disappointment. When I saw that on the list I thought, ODB + Hilarious Song + Max Bemis = Sure thing. Man was I wrong.

It leaked a few months ago.

You can usually count on Scary Kids Scaring kids to put a lot of effort in, I just think they picked a bad song here. It wasn't terrible, but it kinda sounded silly.

The Maine, stuck to their roots and kept it Punk-rock-emoish, without losing the the rhythm of the song.

My American heart were way out of their elements, and while it wasn't bad, they should've chosen a song they were more comfortable with covering. They're an underrated band, and although they sounded like they were struggling with this cover, it's still one of the better covers on the cd.

I expected so much more from "Kryptonite (I'm on It)" - Emanuel " Emanuel has potential to be really good, but just can't master or find their own sound. I would've dropped them from this compilation.

I was gonna wait and buy this cd during it's release date, but my G/f rolled her eyes at me and thought it would be a silly buy, so i burned a copy a while ago.

Punk goes 90's has been my favorite thus far.

The first punk goes acoustic would've been really good had they dropped some songs and added some different acoustic covers. Some of the chosen selection was weak.

80's was decent, but I got sick of it real fast.

The only song I was interested in was the Say Anything cover of "Got Your Money", and it really.. wasn't good. So far, I think this has been one of the weaker, lamer "Punk Goes..." albums.

To be fair, all the Punk Goes... series would rock, if they were compilations and not covers. :shifty:

"Punk Goes Acoustic"...or at least the first one, were mostly acoustic versions of their own songs...if I remember correctly...or in Rise Against's case, a new song (at the time).

H20 did a pretty decent cover of Ice cubes "it was a good day"

Not punk, but during the nu-metal era there was a pretty awesome metal-rap collabo album called "Loud Rocks", the most notable song being the Wu-Tang ft. Tom Morello and Chad Smith version of "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing ta Fuck Wit". You've got bands like System of a Down, Sugar Ray, Static-X, Crazy Town, Sevendust, Ozzy, Incubus and Finger Eleven collaborating with the likes of Wu-Tang, The Liks, Dead Prez, Xzibit, Mobb Deep, M.O.P. and Big Pun. An album from that era that certainly fell by the wayside, but definitely worth checking out.