Nu-Metal / Emo

Benji

I Am Ghost are gonna be huge....well they should be...they're fucking epic.

And emo as a genre is fucking weird. I once made long arsed posts about how emo the 'genre' and emo the 'trend/style' are totally different...and most bands labelled 'emo' now are because of the 'style' rather than the music...find it...as to be honest...I don't give a fuck anymore.

Edited by YI

I'm a fan of genres to an extent. It helps as a catch all for bands with certain trends, and as an easy way to then check out other stuff that may appeal.

But I hate the terms emo and nu-metal. Firstly, because as has been mentioned, most of the bands aren't all that similar, and secondly, because of lazy use. At times, it just seemed that any band that someone hates was lumped in as a nu-metal band, and the same as emo. Using them purely as a derrogatory term is stupid.

Why do people actually hate the term emo? I mean seriously, it's not like it's an undefinable genre, it's basically just a current word for non-happy pop-rock, just like Nu-Metal was just non-happy rap metal. It's just a label, why are people so against it? :huh:

The term doesn't annoy me, but from my experience what 'emos' listen to isn't pop-rock. They seem to listen to so many different bands which don't have a lot in common musically. Which just leads to people getting annoyed because they feel things are being incorrectly labeled 'emo' or something. :unsure:

I think it's the connotations. With nu-metal it was the angsty teenagers with piercings, dyed spiky hair and those horrible ear-stretcher things. With emo, people immediately think of the dreary kids down the park with dead animals on their heads, pulled over one half of their faces.

That and people can just be dicks and refuse to acknowledge that any genre (yes, Reil, even dragonmetal) can have its quality bands.

See, for me it's a combination of the ridiculous people who call themselves emo and the ridiculous, awful music they listen to.