Nu-Metal / Emo

Benji

There's so many different types of emo bands too, when I was growing up I thought that meant acoustic stuff like Dashboard and whatnot, and now it's being used for a lot of bands that would have been classified screamo back in the day. Too many sub-genres out there, none of them with true set parameters because what someone may think of as metal I may think of as just very hard rock, and so on.

The emo hate has come from its stereotype pretentious 'woe is me I'll cut myself' image.

The nu-metal hate came after it started to fade in popularity, and publications like Kerrang (who sold a fuckload with bands like Limp Bizkit on the front cover) turned on it when nu-metal didn't sell magazines any more. Although on a critical level, most nu-metal albums didn't fair well at the genre's peak anyway.

I'm still a big nu-metal fan. Fuck the haters. :P

Edited by God-Awful

I, to be honest, see Emo as a group of people instead of a genre. And I clss stuff I don't really *like* because of it's whiny and ugh-y style. Like MCR, etc.

Fuck knows why "lol" got posted. Hmm, Edited.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

I think it's the connotations. With nu-metal it was the angsty teenagers with piercings, dyed spiky hair and those horrible ear-stretcher things. With emo, people immediately think of the dreary kids down the park with dead animals on their heads, pulled over one half of their faces.

That and people can just be dicks and refuse to acknowledge that any genre (yes, Reil, even dragonmetal) can have its quality bands.

I think it's the connotations. With nu-metal it was the angsty teenagers with piercings, dyed spiky hair and those horrible ear-stretcher things. With emo, people immediately think of the dreary kids down the park with dead animals on their heads, pulled over one half of their faces.

That and people can just be dicks and refuse to acknowledge that any genre (yes, Reil, even dragonmetal) can have its quality bands.

I really agree with that statement. Especially the quality bands from every genre, as there are bands in every genre that I do enjoy, even if the genre isn't one of my favorites.

So it's not the music people dislike but the twats that come with the genre? Well people should state that more often <_<

Also, each popular scenes chicks are hot and are too dumb to know better. Fact.

Oh god yes. When I was at Ozzfest it was like I was in heaven or something, lots of hot emo/metal/rock/valley girls all over the place. Twas fantastic.

See this is why I try to take as little account for genres as possible. Emo spans such a broad range of stuff, music I don't like such as My Chemical Romance and Madina Lake as examples, to music I love such as Sunny Day Real Estate.

So I don't listen to the genre typing as much, they're usually just glamorized to help promote something - or diminish something.

The annoying thing about scene/genre girls is that they're usually way younger than they look. Fortunately, as yet you cannot be arrested for your throughts >_>

I know, right? There was some scene chick on TV the other day and I was thinking "I'd bone it" and then they reveal she's fuckin' 14! What the fuck.

It just confuses me, the first I heard of Emo was when JEW released Bleed American and the NME did a big emo special with the likes of Rival Schools, Hundred Reasons, Hell is for Heroes etc. and I thought it was ace. Then Fall Out Boy appeared churning out daft pop songs and aparently that was 'emo' too. What the fup is emo?!?

It just confuses me, the first I heard of Emo was when JEW released Bleed American and the NME did a big emo special with the likes of Rival Schools, Hundred Reasons, Hell is for Heroes etc. and I thought it was ace. Then Fall Out Boy appeared churning out daft pop songs and aparently that was 'emo' too. What the fup is emo?!?

Never, ever trust NME on anything to do with music. I know genres aren't popular, but they are a necessary evil to an extent. But bands grouped under a genre should at least have some common sonic elements, and RS, HR and HIFH do not. Jimmy Eat World I have classed as emo, which is odd considering their lyrics tend to be more uplifting than most emo bands but still.

Fall Out boy are a strange one, their earlier stuff is certainly more in keeping with the typical emo themes, and I guess to an extent, lyrically they still are. But starting with Cork Tree, and certainly on Infinity on High, they've taken on a much more pop-punk style. Emo-pop I guess, along the lines of Motion City Soundtrack.

Thing with genres is, you can't just stamp a band with a label and then never give it a second thought. Take Brand New for example, their first album was very teenage angst-driven pop-punk, typical Long Island emo. but then they matured with Deja Entendu (my favourite album, ever) and The Devil and God... So a lot of fans who came to them since Deja class them as Indie or Alternative rather than emo.