Bad solos

METALMAN

Just post songs that have really bad solos/instrumentals that make you cringe or laugh.

I was thinking about this because I heard "Oxford Comma" by Vampire Weekend on the radio, and as far as bad solos go, it's a corker. I don't mind the rest of the song but the solo shits all over it. Almost literally.

It's here at about 2:00. The look of concentration on the guitarist's face makes it all the better.

I went to see a band named Last Stop China Town once. They were supporting someone awesome, so I had high hopes. In the middle of this shitty song with awful lyrics, the lead singer shouts out to the guitarist,

"Gerald!... Show them how to shred!"

Out from the shadows steps this pimply little sixteen year old who plays the most awkward and uninspiring guitar solo of all time.

I have no idea if the solo is in the song, or if it was a treat for the live audience, because although I own the CD (Bought it at a thrift store for £1 as a joke) I've never listened to it, and don't intend to.

I hate them.

Their song 'When opinions collide' is now a running joke, because it's so awful it actually gave me scabies.

(Note: Guitarists name is probably not gerald)

I'm actually pretty sure that guy can't play guitar whatsoever, check out the solo on Mansard Roof, two fucking strings!! I could play a better, more complex solo dragging my scrotum down the fretboard.

I hate the guitar solo on Marduk's "World Funeral". Right after the second verse, the band stops playing for a second and then the solo picks up, and it is just some of the most boring, inane and inappropriate guitar playing I know of. Plus without a rhythm guitarist the solo leaves the song completely without riffing for its duration.

<--- link to the official music video for those brave enough to withstand it. Also another example of how black metal bands just can't do a good music video, ever.

I just hate Vampire Weekend because they're the epitomy of 'cool' but incredibly bland, indie. They're 9-million times worse than Arcade Fire...who at least have/had something about them (and even though I don't get the "Neon Bible" love..."Funeral" was fucking amazing). Vampire Weekend are just shite.

Edited by YI

I mean, I disagree but it all comes down to taste. I don't think Vampire Weekend are bland, but different tastes I guess. I do hate the indie love for them though. Most of the "cool" kids I know tried to recommend this band to me a million times, and they talk about how different and cool they are. They aren't different; they rip off Paul Simon and dress like hipsters.

Edited by PunkRockPete

Vampire Weekend are shit. Far too self-consciously "different", while not really doing anything interesting or entertaining. I'd had them pimped to me for ages, and then when I heard that "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" track on the latest Rough Trade compilation, I was massively disappointed. There's just nothing new, interesting or good about them. Yawn.

Also, there was "Neon Bible" love? Neon Bible was shit.

:wub:

Yeah. It was THE pimped the fuck out of indie album for the past year. I thought it was a boring pile of wank, where the band had basically shed everything that made them good. It's kind of the feeling I get from the new Islands as well. What made the bands so special (for different reasons) was gone from their 2nd releases.

Yes, "No Cars Go" was/is a fucking phenomenal track (and my favourite Arcade Fire song), but when the best song on an album (by a mile) is a track originally released like 3/4 year ago, there's something wrong. Outside of "No Cars Go" the only other songs I find myself drawn to at all are "The Well And The Lighthouse" and "Black Waves/Bad Vibrations".

:wub:

Yeah. It was THE pimped the fuck out of indie album for the past year. I thought it was a boring pile of wank, where the band had basically shed everything that made them good. It's kind of the feeling I get from the new Islands as well. What made the bands so special (for different reasons) was gone from their 2nd releases.

Ah, fair enough. I'm fucking horrible at keeping up with new music, and I never really have a clue what "popular opinion" is - I only read one music magazine, and not many of my mates are into that kind of music, but I'd never seen Neon Bible as anything other than a massive let-down. It's pretty much the clearest example of the "difficult second album" ever - they stuck a ton of great tracks on the first album, and had fuck all creativity left for ther second and, as you said, everything that made them interesting and exciting and fresh was gone, and they may as well have been Editors or some shit.