Bands That Remind You of Other Bands

DFF

As the topic title suggests, this is about bands who, for one reason or another (or sometimes, seemingly none) remind you of other bands.

The example that made me start this thread was that, I was listening to some of Avenged Sevenfold's modern stuff (ie, City of Evil and the self titled album), and for no good reason they keep reminding me of Guns N' Roses. It's weird :wacko:

The only thing I can think is that some of the solo stuff is similar in places and that Critical Acclaim reminds me of a tracks Guns once did ripping into the media.

How about you guys?

Fall of Troy and Circa Survive remind me of the Mars volta, but i think that's the spacey sound of CC and the prog aspects of FoT, along with the fact that all 3 bands have high pitched singers

Also Opeth and Mastodon remind me of one another, because i got into both of them within a week of each other and listened almost exclusively to them for the next week. Great stuff

The example that made me start this thread was that, I was listening to some of Avenged Sevenfold's modern stuff (ie, City of Evil and the self titled album), and for no good reason they keep reminding me of Guns N' Roses. It's weird :wacko:

That's not very weird. In fact, I remember when the hype machine for City of Evil started, everyone was calling A7X the next Guns N' Roses. What was weird was I listened to the album and didn't get the correlation whatsoever. Of course, I'm not that big of a Guns N' Roses fan (I remember my older sisters loving them and even as a little kid wondering what the big deal was) so that could probably be explained right there.

I don't get the A7X/GNR comparison. A7X are a glam influenced metal band, perhaps influenced mostly by Guns N' Roses, but I'd say that's as far as it goes. It was like the comparison between Metallica and Trivium during the Ascendency period... sure, it was obvious that Triv were highly influenced by Tallica, but they were hardly the same band. The only thing you could plausibly compare between the two is the instrumentation on Ascendency being similiar to early Metallica (in the proper thrash days). The vocals were (until the comparison became a blatant copy) very different.

Based off the grand total of one song (for each), Avenged Sevenfold and the Stranglers.

Based off their entire catalogue ever, Megadeth and Metallica and (for absolutely no reason) System of a Down. I just remember hearing something by Metallica and thinking it was by SOAD, I still have no fucking clue what I was on then but it must have been something incredibly strong

Oddly enough, I forget which song it was but one of Angelspit's songs made me think I had shuffled onto a Manson track without realizing it.

Creature Feature has a few tracks I've listened to that remind me of the Cure, for some reason.

Powerman 5000 and Rob Zombie sound same-ish though that's probably because Zombie's kid bro is PM5k's lead singer.

Oh, and Murderdolls and Frankenstein Drag Queens from Planet 13 sound strangely similar. :shifty:

I don't get the A7X/GNR comparison. A7X are a glam influenced metal band, perhaps influenced mostly by Guns N' Roses, but I'd say that's as far as it goes. It was like the comparison between Metallica and Trivium during the Ascendency period... sure, it was obvious that Triv were highly influenced by Tallica, but they were hardly the same band. The only thing you could plausibly compare between the two is the instrumentation on Ascendency being similiar to early Metallica (in the proper thrash days). The vocals were (until the comparison became a blatant copy) very different.

I remember hearing when The Crusade was coming out and Trivium saying that it was going to sound like Metallica, I joked saying "So, are all the lyrics going to be 'WHOOOOAAAA' and 'YEEAAAAAH'?" Then I heard the chorus for "We Are The Fire" and cried.

Also, you describing A7X as glam-influenced makes me cry, mostly because it's true. I miss old school A7X.