Shipping Up To Boston, and songs like it

tristy

what are some songs like "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" by the Dropkick Murphys? Y'know, "punk" songs with a hint of irish in them (bagpipes, etc.)

probably a dumb question, but there it is. i've been meaning to ask this question for a good while now.

The Pogues. Lots and lots of The Pogues. And Flogging Molly. And, even though they're not as good, The Tossers and The Mahones.

Basically, though, the punkier side of The Pogues and, by extension, The Popes.

Seconding The Pogues. Namely the album "If I Should Fall From Grace With God". Also gonna second The Tossers. "Agony" is an alright album, and probably a little closer to "Shipping Up To Boston".

As do The Pogues, and damn good accordion at that. Jason Webley can be pretty good for some solid punk accordion action, too.

Actually, I'm fairly sure Flogging Molly get some accordion on the go too.

Edited by Skummy

Sunshine Highway is on that same album and it uses one. Forever (new version on the Meanest of Times) also uses one. As for other songs, I can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

Edited by Fitzy

Flogging Molly - Another Bag Of Bricks has sexy accordion action.

And The Worst Day Since Yesterday too.

And Salty Dog. Reminds me of ceilidh dancing in this one actually.

Edited by The Kraig

Since the obvious groups have been mentioned (Tossers, Mahones), I'll recommend Flatfoot 56. I've seen them live twice, and they were excellent both times, good guys as well.

You might also find some enjoyment from the Men They Couldn't Hang, they're a bit closer in sound to the Pogues though.

Edit - and before I forget, the Trojans. The Trojans are considered to be a celtic ska hybrid, more focus on the celtic part, and not ska as in Mustard Plug, but Ska as in Desmond Dekker, Lord Tanamo, the older stuff that originated in the 70s. They have a fun sound, it's hard to not want to dance when listening to them.

Edited by VerbalPuke