The Summer Transfer Thread

I think if it's out of us and Man City to get Friedel, we'll nab him. Hopefully anyway. It'd be a great way to help Guzan adjust to the league, Friedel would get to train the future USA No. 1, and could then go straight into the training camps Lerner wants to/is setting up in America once he's retired.

I really hope we get Bentley too, as then we'd have one of the best set of wingers in the league, pushed forwards by the fact that they're all English.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, Newcastle only bidded 2m for Warnock! :rolleyes:

Seeing Freidel go will be a sad day, but if we can get millions for a 37 year old who wants perhaps one more crack at Europe whist he feels on top of his game, then it makes sense.

• Admin
I think if it's out of us and Man City to get Friedel, we'll nab him. Hopefully anyway. It'd be a great way to help Guzan adjust to the league, Friedel would get to train the future USA No. 1, and could then go straight into the training camps Lerner wants to/is setting up in America once he's retired.

I really hope we get Bentley too, as then we'd have one of the best set of wingers in the league, pushed forwards by the fact that they're all English.

I think you've got a chance of Friedel, but there is the Hughes connection at City, plus it would mean he wouldn't have to move his family from the North West.

Bentley on the other had, I think he's off to Spurs once they stump up the cash. He's made it clear he wants to go to London. Plus Villa only bid £10 million, and we've already rejected a £12 million bid from Spurs.

I've got mixed feelings over us potentially signing Berbatov. On one hand he's the kind of physical force we need up front and will get the goals in the 6 yard box that the rest of the team don't seem to gamble to get. But having seen him play live, he doesn't actually do much over the course of the game which won't help us too much in the scrappy games against the likes of Middlesbrough. This work ethic will be provided by whoever partners him though so its not going to be too much of a problem. I've no doubts that he'll be a success but he's just too moody for my liking and with the likes of Rooney and Tevez in the squad, he doesn't look like he'd enjoy not being first choice every match.

I still think we could do with another winger. Giggs will be playing less and less this year, Nani is a bit too unpredictable and Park lacks that final product. With Ronaldo out for the first 2 months or so we could really lack that quality on the wings.

Apparently Sunderland have made offers for Malbranque, Tainio, Chimbonda and Kaboul. Kaboul & Chimbonda have been on their way since the Hutton & Woodgate signings really and while Tainio's a nice utility player he's not going to be making his way into the first team and he was on the verge of joining Birmingham in January anyway. Malbranque I think we should keep though, he's been great on the left and we can't afford to get any smaller/weaker in midfield.

Obviously I hope we can hold onto Berbatov for at least another season, a UEFA Cup win or top four finish would surely persuade him to stay. If he does go I hope we can get a really good replacement because I don't fancy a strike force of just Keane, Bent & Dos Santos.

• Admin

West Brom have signed Scott Carson.

I agree with you AD. Chimbonda wants to go, as does Kaboul [in fact his agent JUST said on SSN that Kaboul does not want to go to Sunderland but will leave the club for another English team]; and we have replacements already. Tainio could go - I liked him in his first year but after that, just indifference. Steed has to stay, I think he was one of our best players last season.

As for a Berba replacement, whatever happened to our supposed interested in that Luis Garcia?

If Berba does not go to Utd I imagine that he will end up staying until January, where he can assess whether we actually have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

Apparently Blackburn have just agreed a deal to sign Chilean "starlet" Carlos Villanueva. Whoever that is.

I will have to ask my man in South American about him. >_>

EDIT - It's a loan.

Edited by 9 to 5

I'd take Tainio, Chimbonda and Malbranque for sure if those rumours at true. Chimbonda's a bit of a cunt but undeniably a good player so would definitely fit in the team. Tainio is a good all round player so could easily slot in and competently fill voids when we have them. And Malbranque is a fantastic player. If Kaboul doesn't want to come, that's fine, he'd have been good but I'd rather have say Malbranque - who I think would be a fantastic edition.

I've heard we've tabled £14m and £23m bids from differing newspapers for all four. I imagine £10m/£19m of those bids are for Steed himself. <_<

Newcastle & Everton are both after Chimbonda as well apparently and £4m has been mentioned as a likely price. We bought Kaboul only a year ago for £7m so I'd expect we'd be wanting at least £5m for him, Tainio's probably the least valuable of the quartet, I would guess about £2m and maybe £7-8m for Malbranque. That's pretty much in the middle of those reported sums so yeah >_>

What we've done is no different to the way Harry Redknapp went about making his interest known in Peter Crouch. Rafa was asked about Keane, he admitted he was interested and said that we'll see - which is pretty much identical to what Redknapp said about Crouch. I didn't hear anyone complaining then.

Besides, Spurs complaining about the way any other club handles themselves after the Bostock debacle is absolutely hilarious.

What we've done is no different to the way Harry Redknapp went about making his interest known in Peter Crouch. Rafa was asked about Keane, he admitted he was interested and said that we'll see - which is pretty much identical to what Redknapp said about Crouch. I didn't hear anyone complaining then.

Besides, Spurs complaining about the way any other club handles themselves after the Bostock debacle is absolutely hilarious.

It just depends on the circumstances dont be ridic

Maybe they're doing it because the last time they threatened to report someone they got £10m, from Roman Abramovich, to sweep it under the rug.

Apparently both Liverpool and Man Utd have been in contact with Keane & Berbatov's agents without our permission which sounds like a breach of rules to me. Unfortunately Daniel Levy has said both players have made it clear they want to leave for them.