:::2008 - THE YEAR OF LIVE MUSIC:::

YI

2008: THE YEAR OF LIVE MUSIC

UPDATED: July 11th (Review/Gigs Attended)

For years now I've been saying I haven't been going to enough gigs. There's times I've missed gigs and bands I've really wanted to see because I don't know anyone who likes them, I don't particuarly like the people who do like the band or because of my naivety when it comes to cross country travel arrangements.

I've been thinking about 'making a change' to this for a while now, but this past weekend after Give It A Name, I actively decided to do something about it. I know the festival is tailor made for under 16, gender confused, emo kids. But boy, did it make me feel old! And it also made me question how much longer I could go to gigs and really get 'into it', before I became that 'creepy old guy', who's (rightly) accused of feeling up the 14-year old girls.

So I came about with this 'plan'. The 'plan' to see as many artists as possible within a calender year. Whilst I had a couple of gigs booked in for this coming month, the number's multiplied rapidly, and I've been looking out for and buying tickets for stuff I otherwise wouldn't have. And in the process, I am going to see a good number of my favourite 'active' bands.

This thread? Well, basically I want somewhere where I can chronicle the shows I go to. Give a little review. Maybe turn you fine people of EWB onto a few new bands, or convince you to go to a few more gigs of your own.

Fuck GTA IV, fuck clubbing, fuck the police...this is the year of live music!

:::GIGS I'VE BEEN TO:::

January 25th

A Wilhelm Scream

w/ Failsafe, All Idols Fall

Academy 2 - Newcastle

April 2nd

Frank Turner

w/ Ciara Haidar, Short Term Effect

The Cluny - Newcastle

May 10th

Give It A Name Festival: Night 1

Paramore, Plain White T's, Alkaline Trio, Finch, All Time Low, Set Your Goals, MC Lars, Chiodos, Mayday Parade

Earls Court - London

May 11th

Give It A Name Festival: Night 2

Billy Talent, Glassjaw, Anti-Flag, Silverstein, Armor For Sleep, The Blackout, Strike Anywhere, Envy On The Coast, The Color Fred, Four Year Strong

Earls Court - London

May 19th

The New Amsterdams

w/ Southerly, Stars Of The Sunday League

Cargo - London

May 20th

Sonic Boom Six

w/ Big D & The Kids Table, Random Hand

Academy 2 - Newcastle

May 24th

Stars Of The Lid

w/ d_rradio, Mariposa

The Church Of St Thomas The Martyr - Newcastle

May 26th

3volution Festival

I saw; Kate Nash, Crystal Castles, Does It Offend You Yeah?

Quayside - Newcastle/Gateshead

May 29th

Spokes

w/ d_rradio, Sona Di

Cumberland Arms - Newcastle

May 30th

Ignite

w/ Death Before Dishonor, BurnThe8Track, 1000 Hertz

Underworld - London

June 2nd

The Weakerthans

w/ Dawn Landes, Christine Fellows

Scala - London

June 18th

Sandi Thom

w/ Paddy Milner

The Cluny - Newcastle

June 24th

Ben Folds

w/ Corn Mo

Academy - Newcastle

July 10th

Me vs Hero

w/ Midterm Break, Astro Chimp, Misled Icons

The End - Newcastle

July 16th

The Mars Volta

Roundhouse - London

July 17th

Death Cab For Cutie

w/ Styrofoam

Brixton Academy - London

:::GIGS I'M GOING TO:::

August 3rd

Paige

w/ Battle To Exile, Not Advised, Kids Of '87

The End - Newcastle

August 22nd-24th

Leeds Festival

Some big fuck off field near Leeds

August 25th

Kevin Seconds

Trillians - Newcastle

(MAYBE)

August 26th

The Gaslight Anthem

The Roadhouse - Manchester

August 27th

Blakfish

w/ Tubelord

The End - Newcastle

August 30th

Hi-Fi Handgrenades

Academy 2 - Newcastle

September 3rd

Short Term Effect

The Cooperage - Newcastle

September 9th

Crystal Castles

Academy - Newcastle

September 12th

Indoor Fireworks

w/ Little Comets

Bridge Hotel - Newcastle

September 14th

Fighting With Wire

w/ General Fiasco

The Cluny - Newcastle

September 22nd

Paint It Black

w/ Trash Talk

Fighting Cocks - Kingston

October 2nd

White Lies

The Cluny - Newcastle

October 20th

Blood Red Shoes

w/ 1984

Academy 2 - Newcastle

October 22nd

STRUNG OUT!

Trillians - Newcastle

October 23rd

Feeder

Academy - Newcastle

(MAYBE)

October 26th

STRUNG OUT!

The Peel - Kingston

October 30th

STRUNG OUT!

Underworld - London

(MAYBE)

November 1st

Rancid

Academy - Newcastle

November 2nd

Flogging Molly

w/ Skindred, Street Dogs, Time Again

Academy - Newcastle

November 13th

Erik Mongrain

Buddle Arts Centre - Wallsend (Newcastle)

November 17th

Less Than Jake

Northumbria Uni - Newcastle

November 17th

Sigur Ros

Alexandra Palace - London

(MAYBE)

November 25th

New Found Glory

w/ Set Your Goals, Four Year Strong, Crime In Stereo

Academy - Newcastle

December 8th

Streetlight Manifesto

w/ Random Hand, Dan Potthast

Academy 2 - Newcastle

December 14th

Pendulum

Academy - Newcastle

Reviews will be added to the thread/with quick links from this post as I can be arsed/after I go to gigs.

Edited by YI

preorder_wilhelm_scream_image.jpg

DATE: January 25th 2008

VENUE: Academy 2 - Newcastle

GIG: A WILHELM SCREAM (w/Failsafe, All Idols Fall)

It was one year and 8-days ago that I last strolled up these steps into the Carling Academy 2 on a gig night. Strangely enough, then too it was to see A Wilhelm Scream. However, unlike last time when I was met with the surprising twang of Massachusetts based punk-rock band, No Trigger, this time I reached the top of the stairs to silence...and a sickly aroma of shit.

Now, I could pussyfoot around this, but I'd rather get it out of the way bluntly, and quickly. Academy 2 stunk of shit! There were many theories passed around during the night for the smell of shit. The Rockstar Energy drink being the most popular, however I still swear blind that the smell was from the fat kid from Yorkshire, who attempted some form of 'hardcore dancing' at various points throughout the gig, which to be honest looked more like a slow motion hokey-cokey .

I honestly have no idea why I came this early. I had no desire to see any of the support bands, and my 'partner in crime' for this gig wasn't arriving until later. But for whatever reason, I got a little anxious, and decided to pop down at opening. Strange thing of note, there was some form of tribute band shindig going on downstairs in the main room (Led Zeppelin? I can't really remember) and that place was swarming with 'security', then you've got this hardcore-punk gig going on upstairs, with one fat, old security guard.

I stomached the smell and bought a ridiculously overpriced pint (I dread what London's going to be like for this) and propped up the bar for a bit. I had a bit banter with people to pass the time, before the opening band All Idols Fall take the 'stage' to moderate applause from the 60 or so in attendence. Unlike a lot of my friends, I really like Academy 2. There's no 'stage' so to speak, just a barrier seperating the band and audience. Really intimate, brilliant for gigs like this. However, for a band such as All Idols Fall, this must be a bit of a mixed blessing. As they stormed through their powerful opener, "Crossing Paths", the crowd stood in silence. The occasional head-bob, the occasional foot-tap. But nothing more. The singer, hopped the barrier and began to rock out among the crowd, screamed in peoples faces, did everything to get people going, and to a certain extent it succeeded, but soon collapsed back to nothingness.

I know it's a little 'strange' to say that he's a brilliant showman, when he didn't particuarly inspire anyone into his show. But personally I think he was. As the general feeling was they were really good, people loved the singer's antics, the leaps into the crowd etc. The band as a whole were incredibly tight, and their songs were brilliant. They had nowhere near the technical precision of A Wilhelm Scream, but they had the perfect mix of melody and brutality that AWS have. It was just the fact, nobody knew who they were. Nobody knew their songs. Couple that with the general apathy of North Easterners and you were going to just have people standing around.

I must say, for a British 'punk-rock' act they were very good. I have grown to despise most 'punk-rock' acts from the UK these days, for their need to feign an American accent. All Idols Fall very much kept their British twang, whilst delivering some rocking tunes. I was going to pick up their EP as I left, but we were in a hurry, so I didn't get the chance. I've been meaning to pick it up for a while, but have never got round to it yet. I did however shake the singers hand, and in a semi drunken slur tell him, they were "Fucking mint, man!"

Definately a band I will check out if they come this way again.

Not something that could be said for the next band, Failsafe. Now Failsafe had a bit of 'popularity' surrounding them and people started getting more into their music, and more into 'gig position' as apposed to just standing about. I got saved from drinking on my lonesome by the random appearence of my 'mate' Rich. Rich, whilst essentially a friend of a friend, who I've only met about 5-times in my life, it appears as though we share a similar taste in music, or at least as far as the 'punk' aspect goes, with us bumping into each other here and again the Sunday of Give It A Name.

As for Failsafe. They were bland. Really not interesting enough for me to check out in any way shape or form. In fact the best thing about the set was discovering the fact the bloke who stole my standing place (leant against a wall) during All Idols Fall, when I went for a pint, is the bass player in Failsafe.

After another 10-15 minutes of standing about people started to commune towards the barrier. I'd say attendence was bordering 100 or so now, but that's more than likely a top end estimate. Everyone who needed to be here was here as A Wilhelm Scream took the stage. They kicked things off with crowd pleaser "The Kids Can Eat A Bag Of Dicks", before launching straight into "Jaws 3, People 0" from their most recent album, "Career Suicide". Whilst the crowd was 'small' everyone was into it, including the band. Smiles across their faces, everyone really getting into it as the band play the big songs from all their albums, like; "William Blake Overdrive", "The Rip", "Stab Stab Stab", "Anchor End", Famous Friends And Fashion Drunks" from 2004's "Mute Print". "Congratulations", "Killing It", "The Soft Cell" from 2005's "Ruiner". And material from last years "Career Suicide", with the likes of "The Horse", "5 To 9", "These Dead Streets" etc. There was even a throwback to their Smackin' Isiah days with the use of "Hike" as an intro into "The Soft Sell".

Musically the band were so incredibly tight. Everything was spot on, even with a new guitarist. In fact, guitarist Mike Supina (formerly of "Alucard", another really good band) was one of the standout things from this AMAZING show. The guy looked like he was having so much fan. Mouthing and screaming along to all the words whilst still nailing his complex guitar parts perfectly. Nuno was also on fine form. I've heard mixed receptions to his vocals, but on the two occasions I've seen them, here especially, he has been pitch perfect. Maybe it's due to the small venue and small crowd, he doesn't have to push as much, but he has absolutely no complaints from me.

A perfect blend of old and new songs. I loved every single minute of it, everybody there loved every single minute of it. After closing with the epic, "The Horse", with some amazingly smooth bass playing I wouldn't have believed, if I hadn't have seen it in person, the band retreated temporarily, coming back out for an encore of "The King Is Dead", the opener from their 2nd album, sending the crowd home on a high.

Whilst musically A Wilhelm Scream is for the most part the work of Trevor Reilly, he really takes a step back for the live shows. He stayed to the back, near where All Idols Fall stood watching on a ledge to the side, and let his band members stay in the limelight. In fact most of the big guitar parts were handled by Mike Supina, which led to the awesome visiual of Mike scaling up a wall of speakers for the solo in "Me Vs. Morrissey In The Pretentious Contest (The Ladder Match)".

Definately a band you should check out if you haven't already. Absolutely rocking, totally in your face. Insane riffs, but still catchy sing-along melodies. Sometimes obtuse, but always quotable/screamable lyrics. And live they're such an amazing cohesive unit. One of the best allround packages in music today. A band that everyone should be able to find atleast one redeeming feature in.

A WILHELM SCREAM SETLIST (not in order)

The Kids Can Eat A Bag Of Dicks

Jaws 3, People 0

Hike -> The Soft Sell

We Built This City (On Debts And Booze)

Famous Friends & Fashion Drunks

William Blake Overdrive

Congratulations

Stab, Stab, Stab

I Wipe My Ass With Showbiz -> 5 To 9

Me vs. Morrissey In The Pretentiousness Contest (The Ladder Match)

Killing It

These Dead Streets

Anchor End

The Rip

The Horse

The King Is Dead

Edited by YI

May 20th

Sonic Boom Six

w/ Big D & The Kids Table, Random Head

Academy 2 - Newcastle

Have fun. If you've never seen Big D before you're in for a treat. If you have, then I guess you know what you're in for. I've seen them like 7 or 8 times and it has never been anything less than spectacular. From really small clubs to some larger venues, they always deliver.

Fuck it. I'm there. Even if they don't do Tranformers live, I love 80's cheese.

Anyways, I caught The New Amsterdams (w/Stars Of The Sunday League...who were like one dude...what is it with solo projects having fucking band names these days...grrr) on Monday, down in London. Fucking amazing stuff. Good mix of old and new, and then Matt Pryor came out and did a bunch of Get Up Kids stuff, acoustic, as a closer. "I'll Catch You", fucking beautiful. I just wish I had someone to hold for it. :(

Big D were FUCKING INSANE! Incredibly fun. I was knackered, having travelled 6 hours back from London that day. But definately worth going. 'Ska kids' are so fun, as they really get into anything, everything. About the same turnout as AWS, maybe a bit more, but they were into everything. Brilliant. Big D mostly did stuff from "Strictly Rude", which is good as it's hands down their best material, as well as some of their older 'classics'. Great danceable, sing along fun.

Sonic Boom Six were pretty good too. The bird is FIIIIIIT in person.

Will try and get my Frank Turner review up tomorrow. :shifty:

Edited by YI

frankturnerbq6.jpg

DATE: April 2nd 2008

VENUE: The Cluny - Newcastle

GIG: FRANK TURNER (w/Ciara Haidar, Short Term Effect)

I really like The Cluny. It's an intimate venue and it's got a nice decor and vibe to it. It seems like a clean place, which is in stark contrast to say the Carling Academy, where I swear you could catch chlamydia from the floor. That's not to say The Cluny doesn't have an 'edge' to it. I mean, it's still a little 'scummy', but it's the kind of place I'd like to go and maybe have a drink. It's got a great bar, and it's relatively cheap, especially on gig nights. Where The Academy proceeds to rape your wallet and dignity with naff 4/5 of a pint in a plastic cup. Plastic cups, how I hate you.

The problem with The Cluny is, it's out of the way. You have to get off at Monument Metro and either walk across some total rapists bridge, or change lines and go to Manors Metro, which is like a total ghost town after a certain time, with the occasional smackhead hanging about. And either way, it's a good trek to the actual venue.

My buddy and I arrived with plenty of time, we'd been drinking since early afternoon, as it was the only way to get him to come to this thing with me. There was quite a mixed group of people here, and a lot more than I was expecting. You had a fair share of student, 'indie' types. You had your 'hardcore' kids, who were obviously there due to Turner's affiliation with Million Dead. Then, you had your kind of 'old boy', folk kind of guys. This didn't particuarly surprise me. Not only is Turner's music laced with a 'folk' twinge, The Cluny also puts on a lot of 'folk' kind of artists, so has built up quite a following to many of the gigs they put on. Anyways, it was a varied group of people. One of the most eclectic mixes I've seen at a show.

I'd heard the original support was going to be Belfast based, Electro-Pop outfit, Oppenheimer. However, due to a computer malfunction, it was announced that the band would no longer be on the tour. I was kind of dissapointed about this, as what I'd heard of them, I enjoyed, and was looking forward to picking up their first album. However, I have to question how their style would go down with the people here, as it's in total contrast to Turner or any of the other performers on the bill.

Instead the show opened with acoustic performer Michael Bridgewater. It's at this point I'm meant to say 'who is better known by the name, Short Term Effect'. However, to be fair, he's not. He's an acoustic musician from Consett, I'd hazard an educated guess that most people in life who know him, know him by the name on his birthday certificate, as he's hardly setting the musical world alight. He took the stage to minor applause and after a brief introduction started up, one man and an acoustic guitar, singing some beautiful little tunes.

I don't know whether it's because my experience of people from Consett has been good. I mean, I've only ever met one person from Consett, and that's my mam, and I love her, but I took to him rather quickly. His songs were sweet and despite their silence, due to him being unknown, the audience really seemed to take to his stuff. There was plenty of smiles and tapping of feet. He's coming back to town in September and I'm going to probably catch him again. One, because he's a good 'local' musician, and also because it's at The Cooperage. And I fucking love The Cooperage. I also particuarly love him for his influences on myspace, "Dodgy comprehensive school adaptations of famous musicals" - funny.

Up next was Ciara Haidar. Didn't really get into her at all. Kind of retreated to the bar for a bit. She reappeared later as part of Frank's band, playing keyboard and providing backing vocals.

There was a quick changeover as Frank Turner came out accompanied by his backing band. Last time he was here he played solo, I didn't catch that show, but here I think the backing band really helped him. It fleshed out the arrangements and kept things upbeat, and it was especially good in the new tracks he performed. I must admit, I was somewhat alienated, not as much as my mate who'd literally heard three songs, but I had no idea Frank had a new album dropping and this tour was in support of that. I was surrounded by a number of people who were already somehow familiar with the songs from an album released 3-days earlier, in a setlist that was made up heavily of these new tracks.

However, with the full band arrangements and the general fun attitude, I soon really got into it, picking up on the new songs enough to even sing along in cases, such as the anthematic chorus to the single "Photosynthesis", which was actually one of the standout songs of the set. Speaking of sing along, stand out moments. The uptempo folksy number "Back In The Day" from his debut album, "Sleep Is For The Week" was definately one of the best songs of the night. And one both me and my mate could sing our hearts out to.

That's what's great about Frank Turner's solo stuff. Even if you don't know the songs, they're so upbeat, they're so engrossing, but also, lyrically they're poetic, yet so simple that you soon find yourself picking things up, and by the end of a song you've picked it up and you feel a part of it. That's the sign of a great songwriter and a great performer. As I said, there was a lot of stuff from "Love Ire & Song", such as the title track, "St Christopher Is Coming Home", the rocking "Imperfect Tense", as well as "Long Live The Queen" etc.

However, you also had a number of first album material, like fan favourite "Once We Were Anarchists", "The Real Damage" and of course the brilliant closer, "The Ballad Of Me And My Friends". In which most of the venue was screaming its lungs out. Indie kids, hardcore kids, folkers...it didn't matter. Everyone was loving it. As well as the album stuff, you had a couple of less 'common' tracks, like "Sea Legs" from an EP, which still went over well with the Frank Turner faithful.

Incredibly fun show, despite not getting an encore. I was going to pick up the new record on my way out, but a mixture of not being able to count how much money I actually had, and being dragged out by my mate soon put a stop to that plan.

Oh, whilst it's a photo from the show, it's not my photo, I found it. :)

It's weird, whilst I've had the help of a partial setlist on another site, I actually remembered more of this setlist than I do of The New Amsterdams on Monday, which was less than a week ago. The night of New Amsterdams I remembered everything...now I literally can't even remember about half of the setlist. I guess that's what happens the more albums a band has.

FRANK TURNER SETLIST (not in order/I'm missing a few)

I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous

Photosynthesis

The Real Damage

Imperfect Tense

Back In The Day

Long Live The Queen

Vital Signs

Once We Were Anarchists

St Christopher Is Coming Home

Love Ire & Song

Sea legs

The Ballad Of Me And My Friends

Edited by YI

Ignite have cancelled.

I needed plans for Tuesday, so I downloaded Our Darkest Days. Decided I really fucking like them, and will go to see them.

Then they cancel.

What bastards.

According to their website, they're playing Bristol now instead. Who the fuck plays Bristol over Newcastle?

Also, I'm sure I've seen Short Term Effect somewhere before. I'm sure he was quite good, if I'm thinking of the right person, and I wouldn't mind seeing him again when I can actually somewhat remember it properly.

WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING WANKERS!!! grrrrr...guess I'm gonna have to go up some time and get my refund. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Okay, they're playing Underworld in London on Friday or Saturday, going to have to see if there's still tickets around. Will probably have a hell of a better atmosphere than up here anyway. It'd be weird seeing them playing Academy 1, it'd be so empty.

This might mean my brother putting me up for 3/4 days or so. :shifty: I haven't really decided on plans...plus work is going to be a bitch to work this around. But I aint going down to London, coming back, just to go back down 2 days later. :(

I am not missing them again. I missed them at Trillians when they came around 2006...or maybe it was 2007...I can't really remember. But whatever, I'm not missing them again.

Cheers for the heads up. As I doubt I'd have actually checked anywhere to see whether they were still playing or not.

Edited by YI

hayley7fu1.jpg

DATE: May 10th 2008

VENUE: Earls Court - London

GIG: GIVE IT A NAME '08: Day 1

First of all, Saturday was a HELL OF A LOT WORSE than Sunday. We got there a little late, with us having to check in to where we were staying, and having a 40-minute or so travel to Earls Court. By the time he arrived we had missed Broadway Calls and Meg & Dia. From what we heard, it doesn't sound like we missed much. Broadway Calls are generic uninspired pop-punk. Meg & Dia however seem totally out of leftfield on the bill, as from what I've heard (via myspace) they're seemingly much more of a pop-rock, Eisley style, indie band.

Anyways, I manage to stomach a bit of Mayday Parade, but boy were they were awful. Sloppy as hell, the vocals were terrible, and basically just struck me as a band trying to ride the coattails of Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco's original success. I honestly felt there was no redeeming features to their performance.

After the torture that was buying a 'pint', I head on off to catch Chiodos on the main stage. Again, I wasn't really digging them. Singer sounded like he wanted to be in a Coheed & Cambria tribute band. They ripped on the 14 year old emo fucks...but then again...when like 90% of your audience are made up of them... not really a good thing to do. They had energy, and I quite liked their 'attitude', to a certan extent, but I really was not digging their music at all, and neither was anybody I was with. There was seemingly plenty of people into it though. So, go them!

At this point my friends and I were questioning coming this early. However, one of them soon perked up because MC Lars was coming on the 'side stage'. He was backed by Preston based alt-rock band, Failsafe, who I saw in January supporting A Wilhelm Scream, where they were totally outclassed, not only by AWS but the opening act, All Idols Fall. Anyways, for the show at hand. I enjoyed it. He seemed quite funny, his songs were fun. Failsafe did their job backing him well, plus their singer seemingly just hanging about most of the time was hilarious. Reminded me quite a bit of Atom & His Package. Not really the smartest of all humour, but some fun tracks, one of the redeeming features of the day.

Two of my mates buggered off to see Cobra Starship, I opted for drink instead. For what it's worth, one enjoyed them, the other says they were terrible. We all gave My American Heart a miss. No idea what they are, who they are, what they sound like...and I don't particuarly care to find out.

Next up were Set Your Goals on the main stage, followed by All Time Low on the 'side stage'. I mention them both together as I honestly cannot remember one from the other. I know I found both of them dull, neither of which seemed to embrace the 'cheesiness' of their genre. They both seem much loved by others. And my mates were mostly into them.

Roll on the almighty Finch. I'd been here for the best part of 4-hours and this was the first band I actually wanted to see. And boy did they deliver. I must admit. I didn't know a lot of Finch's set. I recognised one of the tracks as the single from their second album, but I only really know 1st album stuff. They busted out "Letters To You", "Stay With Me" and of course, as the closing number, "What It Is To Burn". They played a new song, which sounded awesome. Really good stuff as a whole. Suffered from a bit of sound trouble, but basically everybody did. I'm quite surprised that where I was, there seemed to be a lot of people who had no idea who they were. In fact to a lot of 'the kids' "What It Is To Burn" drew literally nothing out of them. It upset me. :(

I gave The Audition a miss as their records are so boring, that listening to them brings on deep vein thrombosis.

Next on came Alkaline Trio. Matt Skiba looking incredibly metrosexual in a gay flat cap. Again the band suffered from sound issues, but they fired on regardless and put together a good half hour set, which was a good mixture of old and new, popular and lesser known tracks and of course a somewhat even split between Dan and Matt vocals. They played 2 (3?) new songs, "Help Me" and "In Vein", the latter of which, whilst I find the studio version boring, live it's a very rocking tune. The other potential new tune was a short introduction, I didn't recognise it from anywhere, so it could well be (hopefully) a snippet of a new track (as if on a 10-track album, that's a full track, I'll be pissed). As said, a good mix of old and new stuff. The "From Here To Infirmary" material, "Private Eye" and the 'rarely played' "Stupid Kid" were fan favourites. Although personally, I went estatic over the inclusion of "I Lied My Face Off".

I paid zero attention to the Guitar Hero Contest...and I curse it, as the following day, due to not having it, Sheffield apparently got an extended Alkaline Trio set. :(

Next onto the main stage were Plain White T's, who may have in fact been the most universally hated 'headline' act I have ever come across. It's a fact that Plain White T's have one good song, and it's not "...Delilah", it's "Lazy Day Afternoon"...and yeah...it didn't happen. Fuck'em.

By this point I was exhausted, but in a total 'in a downer' kind of way. The show had dragged, outside of MC Lars none of the lower bands had got my attention in the slightest. I wasn't expecting a lot as Paramore stormed the stage to shrieks and screams from their fans. My first thought was, that even if they're going to be shite, watching Hayley Williams bounce about the stage for the best part of an hour is going to be incredibly fun. My second thought was how much the guitarist looks like Robert Sugden from Emmerdale, now that he's cut his hair. My third thought was..."Hang on...THIS IS FUCKING GOOD!!". And they were. REALLY fucking good. Whilst I didn't know a lot of the songs, they interspurced their singles well, so I knew what the fuck was going on, and all in all, they were just a tonne of fun. They also didn't seem to suffer from the sound problems that affected so many other bands over the weekend. Finishing with "Misery Business" caused the night to end on a high.

As the four of us took our long journey back to where we were staying, the general concencous (split 50-50) was that either Alkaline Trio or Paramore were the best bands. All in all, we were all pretty dissapointed with how the day turned out. Thankfully, Sunday was a new day...a day in which I would be clean shaven, following a beard sabotage during the night (FUCKERS!!). And more importantly, it was a day which saw many a good band, at hand, to entertain us.

SATURDAY IN SHORT

The Good

1. Alkaline Trio

2. Paramore

3. Finch

4. MC Lars

The Bad

1. Plain White T's (Fucking terrible)

2. Mayday Parade (EUGH!)

3. All Time Low/Set Your Goals (I can't remember which was which...they were both dull)

5. Chiodos (Just couldn't get into them)

The Ugly

1. Some bird my mate got into during Plain White T's

2. 14 year old, fat, emo girls

∞. Hayley Williams (for the benefit of IAceI...this means...SHE'S FIT!!)

The Didn't See:

- Broadway Calls

- Meg & Dia

- Cobra Starship

- My American Heart

- The Audition

SETLISTS (not in order/missing a few)

Paramore

Emergency

Pressure

Crushcrushcrush

For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic

(A first album song, which name I can't remember)

Misery Business

Alkaline Trio

(new song)

Private Eye

Stupid Kid

I Lied My Face Off

Time To Waste

Help Me (new song)

In Vein (new song)

Either "We've Had Enough" or "If We Never Go Inside" (a "Good Mourning" song...but I can't remember which)

She Took Him To The Lake

Finch

(new song)

Letters To You

Stay With Me

Worms Of The Earth

What It Is To Burn

Plain White T's

Hey There Delilah :shifty:

Edited by YI

sewydxvo9.jpg

DATE: May 11th 2008

VENUE: Earls Court - London

GIG: GIVE IT A NAME '08: Day 2

Arriving at Earls Court on the Sunday, I felt naked. I felt violated. During the early hours of the morning I was set upon, having my 2 weeks worth of beard brutally attacked with a disposable razor, in what was clearly a callous, premeditated assault. Whilst having a shaven strip in an otherwise perfect mass of hair would have led to me fitting in perfectly with a number of the freaks at Earls Court this weekend, to the general London public I'd appear to be the sort who'd eat from bins, shit in doorways and wave his penis at pigeons. For their sake, and my reputation, I had to sacrifice the whole beard. With piss poor hot water, no shaving foam and a terrible disposable razor, I struggled with this task, but I managed to make myself halfway presentable.

I laughed the shenanigans off, whilst secretly plotting to murder the families of my friends once we returned home. With my beard gone, it was up to my Strung Out, "Fuck Dying" t-shirt, to exert my prowess over the renegade group of minions. An interesting side note. This t-shirt was commented on twice during the course of the day. Neither of which had anything to do with the band. One was from a scruffy looking guy trying to sell me weed. The other was from this kid who looked about 12, trying to buy "dope" from me. Gods honest truth. Do I look like I smoke weed? No. Well at least, not since losing my beard.

When we arrived we met up with the hideous looking troll that my friend 'pulled' the day before, who's with her her friends. Despite claiming to be 18, I'd say they were definately younger. Especially one of the group, who seemed to have come dressed as Rosie from hit 90's childrens show, "Rosie and Jim". Whatever, they annoy me, so me and a friend go on the wander. We've already missed Mexicolas, meaning we soon head on over to the 'side stage' for what was to be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Saturday, lower down the bill suffered from having poor bands, who lots of people struggled to connect with. This was the complete opposite, as Four Year Strong take the stage to quite possible one of the busiest, wildest side stage audiences of the festival. I claimed before this festival that this 'little band that could' would totally steal the show, and they damn well did! As the band broke into "Prepare To Be Digitally Manipulated", I stood mid-crowd, arm in the air, finger pointed, screaming out "Calling all cars...calling all cars...calling all cars" at the top of my lungs. It was the first time, at this point in the festival that I was focussed on what was happening around me, I wasn't thinking about how out of place I felt, how old I felt, I was focussed entirely on them...and their glorious facial hair. Yes, there is not a band with such glorious, many variations of, facial hair, as Four Year Strong, outside of Scandenavian metal. But hair fetishes aside, they were absolutely killer, one of my favourite bands of the weekend, and the sing-along to "Heroes Get Remember, Legends Never Die" to close was so intense. Such a shame they only got 20-minutes. Absolutely incredible. All my mates, who had no prior knowledge (besides one track on a CD on the way down) were blown away by them.

Following that I grab a ridiculously overpriced 'pint' and head back to the side stage for The Color Fred. The 'Fred' in question is the former guitarist of Taking Back Sunday, Fred Mascherino. I saw Taking Back Sunday two summers ago, supported by Eisley and Hellogoodbye. In the course of that gig I developed quite a like of Fred. As the singer was prancing about, swinging the microphone like a cowboy, he was screaming his lungs out, strumming furiously at his guitar, providing an intense atmosphere to the gig. You could see the passion in his eyes. He really drew me into that gig more than I thought I would be. However, here, he seems dull. There's no passion. The songs are second rate, and all the energy that Four Your Strong put out was sucked away in the course of one 25-minute set.

First band on the main stage were Envy On The Coast, and they were pretty good. Much like Chiodos yesterday I felt they had a Coheed feel to them. Bit of a proggy vibe to their music. Not sure I liked them enough to check them out, but they weren't offensive. They had me bobbing my head a fair bit. Better than all the 'lower down' bands from yesterday.

I gave State Radio a miss. I did hear some quite good things about them though. Meanwhile, those fucking annoying girls are still around us. I resist the urge to start hitting the shit, as it was still incredibly early. I once again become very aware that I feel old, and hate just about everybody here. It's like the time I saw My Chemical Romance, but worse. The booze is even more expensive and the fanny we're with, whilst double in number, is more than likely underage and not a patch on MCR girl and her mate. With all my mates getting all chummy with them, I fuck off outside and bum a tab or two out of desperation. It's either kill myself slowly tabs or kill a bunch of emo girls quickly, leaving me to killing myself a more difficult way, hanging myself in prison. And to be fair, I don't really think I'm up to a prison hanging.

I couldn't be arsed to find anybody, instead went and got myself a good position for Strike Anywhere. I was a little nervous at how the band would be taken by the crowd, but as soon as they kick in into the rapid, ultra catchy "Blaze", everyone was already lapping it up. Really powerful stuff, the vocals really shone through. Whilst they really did seem out of place in such a large venue, they still totally rocked the place with some of the most vicious pits of the weekend. Absolutely awesome set, the only downer was the lack of "Sunset On 32nd", which I would have presumed to be a 'must' live, but whatever. I also bumped into my mate Rich, who I had no idea was coming down for this, in the pit, which was awesome. As I then spent a good chunk of the day with him, and provided the awesome, possibly homo-erotic moment of us, arms around each other, screaming the opening to "Instinct". Best band of the entire weekend, with "Prisoner Echoes" being the best individual song. I honestly don't think my voice will ever be the same again! They're doing a headline tour in September. In smaller venues, they'll be absolutely insane.

I refused to go see You Me At Six, they have a shitty name, I have no idea who they are, they can fuck off. I did spend the latter half of the weekend calling them "You Meat Six", which I found great humour in...nobody else was really getting it. :shifty: For what it's worth, when I met up with the friends I came with, later on, two of them enjoyed it and the other thought they gave him cancer.

We decide to catch The Blackout. They were craptastic, and we walked away after like a song and a half. They were shite. People moan about the lack of UK bands on the bill, but when these are the UK bands they get, I'm happy.

I got myself a good position for Armor For Sleep on the side stage. I was quite dissapointed, purely because in my mind I had them mixed up with The Spill Canvas, who I quite like. However, once I got that out of the way, they were actually good. Had me rocking out a few times, the musicianship was tight, and I even vaguely recognised a tune or two. Definately a band I will be looking into. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting their record(s) to blow me a way, but it's something to add to my collection.

Up next were Silverstein. I used to be a big fan of Silverstein, with "Discovering The Waterfront" being one of, if not the best 'emo' album I've heard (off the top of my head, there's only possibly "Casually Dressed..." that can compete with it). Recently I haven't listened to them much, mostly due to the dissapointment that is their third release, which just came across as a soulless ripoff of DTW, leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I always felt they constructed their songs a lot better than most other bands in their genre, and that the dynamics and style changes 'meant more' than just because they sounded cool. If I'm to be honest, I was pleasently surprised as the setlist. They played a lot of 'older' stuff, and I soon got really into it. They weren't the flashiest of all performers, but then again, Alkaline Trio are dull as hell to 'watch', but much like Trio, they totally rocked it for me.

Given my absolute disdain for Anti-Flag I wasn't sure whether I should go and see them. However I realised, If I didn't, it would mean hanging around one my lonesome. And even though I was beginning to get into the mood of being able to wander around for half an hour and shake hands with anyone and strike up conversation, I really didn't feel like it, so headed on over to watch Anti-Flag. I was pleasently surprised. The only tune I recognised was "Turncoat", but they had a lot of fire and were fairly rocking. However I don't think it's going to change my oppinion on them, as they're still 'cookie-cutter' to me with cheesy as hell 'political' lyrics. Then they got all 'preachy' as well. Something which Strike Anywhere never suffered from, even though their message through lyrics is 10-times that Anti-Flag's is. Plus there was fucking annoying circle pits. Circle pits are shit. I mean I'm not against them as a concept, when other shit is happening, but basically every single circle pit I saw this weekend basically just amounted to people running around in a circle. What the fuck is that? Emo-athletics? Fuck off! Anyway, they did the whole 'shake the hand of someone next to you' shtick, which allowed me to 'schoolboy error' a couple of kids. Brilliant. As a whole, not that bad. But not good enough to change my oppinions on them.

Rich left after Anti-Flag, leaving me to track down my mates again, who I hadn't even seen for a good few hours. I managed to find them and we headed off to Glassjaw on the main stage. I admit, I never overly got into Glassjaw. I mean, they were a solid band, but at the end of the day they released two 'good' albums, they were nothing more. However, they did tear shit down live. They have a great sense of humour, as seen in interviews, and on the odd occasion it shines through here. Anyways, good stuff, 'the kids' ate it up like a bag of fizzy cola bottles. Did a good number of songs I knew as well as a couple of new tunes.

Once again, fuck the Guitar Hero shit.

Up next were Billy Talent. I was basically 'on the roof' by this point, and half their set is a complete blur. But I know the pits were rough as fuck, and Billy Talent were awesome! A good mix of new songs and the 'classics' like "The Ex" and "Try Honesty". As I said, I can't really go into details, I remember about half their setlist though.

After Billy Talent I realise I'd once again shed my friends...and I've got fuck all in my pockets! Phone, wallet, keys...all that jazz, gone! After shitting myself for the best part of 10-minutes my friends appear, one of them holding all my shit, which I apparently dumped on him and charged off towards the front after shouting "I'm going to nail this shit like Jesus Christ!"...I still have zero recollection of this happening.

Anyways, we left there, nobody particuarly interested in seeing 30 Seconds To Mars, who turns out, judging from responses elsewhere, were fucking awful. Despite nearly having a heart attack, Billy Talent, and Sunday as a whole, had left things on an upper. Making the whole journey feel worth it.

Unlike yesterday, there was a 3-way split in regards to best band of the day. Four Year Strong received 2 'votes', surprising as before the day, outside of myself, nobody had heard anymore than one song. I personally thought Strike Anywhere were the best band of the whole weekend, and the last 'vote' went to Billy Talent.

All in all, a fun weekend away with my mates. I got to see a couple of bands I love for the first time in Four Year Strong and Strike Anywhere. It's been about 4/5 years since I last saw Alkaline Trio, so it was great to see them again, even if they should have had a longer set. They're still one of my favourite bands, no doubt about it, and contrary to what people say, have never put out a bad release (even though I admit I MUCH prefer their earlier stuff to later stuff, "Crimson" and"Good Mourning" are still great releases). On top of that, I got to see a bunch of bands I like, who I've never seen before, in; Billy Talent, Finch, Silverstein, Glassjaw, Paramore etc. And found a handful of bands that may be worth checking out, in; Armor For Sleep, MC Lars and Envy On The Coast.

...I still wish I'd went to Groezrock. :(

SUNDAY IN SHORT

The Good

1. Strike Anywhere

2. Four Year Strong

3. Billy Talent

4. Silverstein

5. Glassjaw

6. Armor For Sleep

7. Anti-Flag

8. Envy On The Coast

The Bad

1. The Blackout

2. The Color Fred

The Ugly

1. Some bird (and her mates) my mate met up with and got into again

2. 14 year old, fat, emo girls

∞. My memories of Hayley Williams from Saturday

The Didn't See

- Mexicolas

- State Radio

- You Meat Six

- 30 Seconds To Mars

SETLISTS (not in order/missing a few)

Billy Talent

Devil In A Midnight Mass

The Ex

This Suffering

Fallen Leaves

Try Honesty

Perfect World

Red Flag

Glassjaw

Tip Your Bartender

Mu Empire

Ape Dos Mil

Pink Roses

Siberian Kiss

Anti-Flag

Turncoat :shifty:

Silverstein

Your Sword vs. My Dagger

Smile In Your Sleep

My Heroine

(another song off "Discovering The Waterfront")

Smashed Into Pieces

Bleeds No More

Strike Anywhere

Amplify -> Blaze

Allies

Chalkline

Infrared

(something else off "Exit English")

Prisoner Echoes

Instinct

To The World

Four Year Strong

Prepare To Be Digitally Manipulated

Abandon Ship or Abandon All Hope

Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Hell

Catastrophe

Maniac (R.O.D)

Heroes Get Remembered, Legends Never Die

How YI, any idea if you can buy tickets to Evolution on the day, I'm 50/50 on going and even though its only £3 I'd still rather not throw it away and not go. More looking forward to M'boro Music Live next weekend, what with Ash, Late of the Pier etc, and I only really wanted to see Lightspeed Champ in the toon.

Incidentally that was the first place I saw a circle pit. Before Razorlight etc pushed indie into the mainstream and Topman into the realms of shitty t-shirts and jeans that no longer fit me (and I'm fairly slim) Teesside was full of slightly 'goth' kids and your usual scallies who to be fair were the same people in different coloured clothes. But I digress. Cooper Temple Clause were on late on outside by the law courts, and a circle pit emerged in the middle literally full of idiot 14 year olds. After some sly elbows etc being thrown all around them, someone I was with decided the correct way to deal with it was to push the next person back into the circle as normal, but with an ever so subtle downwards motion on the back. Knobhead, flat on his face, comedy gold.

Edit: Just checked and advance tickets sold out, more may be available on the day at 6pm! So I miss Glasvegas and Lightspeed Champion and get to see Duffy? Yay Newcastle/Gateshead, you've allowed your free festival to be eBayed to fuck, and no doubt the stage areas will have as much spare capacity as they always do. Divs.

Edited by Colly

I'll never cease to be impressed by YI's output in this music forum. Kudos, they ought to make you a mod for this forum.

I just wanted to say that I am fucking stoked/erect at the thought of seeing Motorhead in August. Judas Priest will also be there, and some other bands. But fucking Motorhead? I'd pay 100 dollars to see them. I am fucking excited.

Edit: Just checked and advance tickets sold out, more may be available on the day at 6pm! So I miss Glasvegas and Lightspeed Champion and get to see Duffy? Yay Newcastle/Gateshead, you've allowed your free festival to be eBayed to fuck, and no doubt the stage areas will have as much spare capacity as they always do. Divs.

Yeah, really not good. When I bought my tickets, I got 5. 1 for me, 2 for my mates, 1 for my lass and another for her mate. But the bloke in front of me asked "How many can I buy?" and the woman went "20"...so he just goes..."Give me 20 then". Fucking touts. :shifty:

terrible-twos-2.jpg

DATE: May 19th 2008

VENUE: Cargo - London

GIG: THE NEW AMSTERDAMS (w/Southerly, Stars Of The Sunday League)

I believe it was the Saturday night, following work, I got in the house, ready for an early night, followed by a doss of a Sunday morning and another afternoon shift. Then, the next day, I'd head up town with my mate and catch the free, "Crime in Stereo" show. I like Crime In Stereo, and I like the notion of seeing them for free. However, their last album, "Is Dead" kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, and the direction they were heading with the record really didn't suit them in the slightest.

I can't particuarly remember what got me on the train of thought, but for whatever reason, I remembered that The New Amsterdams had either been, or were coming on a European tour soon. I remember, because at the time I was bitching and moaning about the fact they didn't come anywhere near me. I decided to check it up. I hadn't stumbled across notes about shows elsewhere, so I presumed they'd been. I was pleasently surprised when I saw that they were in fact still touring. And I could catch them in London on Monday 19th of May.

Now, this was a tough decision. It was either fork out £30+ travel/tickets to The New Amsterdams, before taking into account what I'd spend in London. Or spend about £15/20 on booze and see a free Crime in Stereo show. Then there was also the fact I had another show to catch the following day in Newcastle. For a sane person, the Newcastle gig would be the obvious choice. However I love The New Amsterdams, well Matt Pryor, mostly for his work with The Get Up Kids, but when I heard he'd been playing Get Up Kids covers to close his set, I knew I had to go down and see them.

I booked my 'ticket', which turned out to be some sort of code thing...I still don't think I fully understood how this thing worked...London, you have too much flashy shit...I had to pay £2 for the privilege to print off my own Death Cab For Cutie ticket. Sod off! I organised travel, making sure I'd be back in Newcastle by Tuesday afternoon, before ringing my brother to check if it was okay to stay with him overnight. It should be, he should respect my recklessness of just travelling about. He is afterall the only person I've ever received a phonecall from, and when I asked him, "What you doing?" the reply was "I'm in Poland, mate", delivered as if it was a normal everyday occurance.

I travelled down to London overnight. The coach was actually busier than I expected it to be. But I managed to get a few hours kip, which was good, as it made the journey go quicker. I hung out with my brother, his girlfriend and his flatmate for a while...when the first words someone ever says to you is, "Do you want some speed?", you know your brother has some amazing friends. :shifty: I turned down the generous offer, but still had a few cans before making my way over to Cargo for the gig.

I know I rant...but I apologise for the length of that rant. :)

I got there with little time to spare, due to me not having a fucking clue where it was. It was a neat little venue. Rather stylish. It's quite different to up here, where most venues don't really have any form of character to them. There was a small stage at the back of the room, where a crowd was already gathering around.

First out was one man acoustic project, Stars Of The Sunday League. His songs were generally downtempo numbers and the acoustic landscapes he built up were rather pretty. However, the moment he started singing in his broad Scottish accent, I kind of turned off. He was clearly talented, but as a vocalist I was not particuarly feeling him. However, saying that, a lot of his gentle folk numbers did have me tapping my feet a little. But christ...his accent!

Between bands I started chatting to some people around me. I was soon amazing at the amount of people who seem to travel into London to catch gigs. I even got invited to go for a few drinks with a couple of guys from Norwich after the show, but I turned it down, partly because one looked like a rapist, and seeing as I was staying at my brothers, I didn't fancy trying to get back to his house, where I'd only been twice before, whilst hammered.

Up next were Southerly. Looks wise, the singer kind of reminded me a lot of the guy from Linkin Park, but sounds wise, they were nowhere near the same. I'd catagorise their sound as something similar to the more 'darker' direction, The New Amsterdams went with "Story Like A Scar". I'd heard one or two of their songs a while back, but they never really gripped my attention. Here, they sounded better than I remember on record. On record, they tried to contrast the singer's soothing vocals with harsh sounding, distorted guitars. It's a novel idea, but it just didn't seem to gel. Here they were much more melencholic. Favouring a somewhat more acoustic approach. Quite nice. Not sure if I'll get into them though.

Finally, on came The New Amsterdams to a big reception from the crowd. I was interested to see how the band would set up. But it was fairly simple; you had Matt Pryor playing acoustic, as well as an electric, a drummer, a standing bass and a guy fiddling about with some sort of synthesisor thing. Most of the set was made up of newer material from "At The Foot Of My Rival", with the band playing through the likes of "Without A Sound (Elanore)", "Silverlake", my personal favourite "Wait", as well as if my memory's correct, a song from the EP, in "Ex's & Oh's" or "A Mile In Your Shoes"...yes, I said 'or', as I honestly cannot remember which one they played. But I remember going a bit 'nuts' over an EP tune.

However, there was also a good number of 'older' tracks. "Death Of Us" and "Turn Out The Light", both of which were standout numbers from their previous album, "Story Like A Scar", as well as older tracks still, most notably a rendition of "Hover Near Fame" from what's arguably their best release, "Worse For The Wear". The band even went further back in their back catalogue with "Para Toda Vida" track, "Picture In The Paper", as well as playing a song or two from their year 2000 debut, "Never You Mind".

I haven't listened to much New Amsterdams in a while and normally 'prepare' myself before going for a gig, but I didn't really get a chance here. So the setlist is more than likely a little whack, with a fair amount I can't remember.

After the band had finished, we saw Matt Pryor return on his lonesome for a beautiful encore, where he played through Get Up Kids hits like, "Overdue" and "Out Of Reach" before closing with "I'll Catch You", which can be seen, here.

A fun show. If I'd been more up on the material I probably would have enjoyed it more. Plus there was the fact I knew I had to drag my arse off my brother's couch at like 7 in the morning in order to catch my coach back to Newcastle.

THE NEW AMSTERDAMS SETLIST (not in order/canny fucked up :shifty: )

Revenge -> Wait

Death Of Us

Without A Sound (Elanore)

Picture In The Paper

Hover Near Fame

Silverlake

Turn Out The Light

Overdue

Out Of Reach

I'll Catch You

Yeah, really not good. When I bought my tickets, I got 5. 1 for me, 2 for my mates, 1 for my lass and another for her mate. But the bloke in front of me asked "How many can I buy?" and the woman went "20"...so he just goes..."Give me 20 then". Fucking touts. :shifty:

Touts indeed, still not got my Leeds tickets yet...

If you saw Glasvegas let me know if its worth it, they're playing Stockton this week, then its the blissfully still free Music Live on Sunday.