2008/2009 NBA Thread v2.0

jrtdot

He wanted to opt out of his contract and get a big pay day despite barely playing at all last season. The Clippers wanted to make sure he was healthy and could still play at a level deserving of a big contract. Wow, novel concept there. Philly was willing to pay him straight away, they're a playoff team and he's the piece they were missing, so you can't really blame him for leaving.

It is fucked up that he was a big part of the Clippers going out and signing Baron, which fucked over the Warriors and now seems to be fucking over the Clippers, as they probably could have nabbed Josh Smith and Emeka Okafor if they knew Brand was planning on leaving, instead of signing Baron.

See what I don't understand is how was he apart of them signing Davis? They both said each other had nothing to do with it?

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Clippers brought in Davis because they thought he'd be enough to get Brand to stay and to show that they're committed to improving the team and bringing in good players to surround him with. Odds are if they knew Brand would be leaving they wouldn't have signed Davis.

That was not it. He told coach Dunleavy several things he wanted for him to resign. Dunleavy fought for him and got him all the things he wanted, and then got a text message from Brand saying he was leaving to Philly.

That was not it. He told coach Dunleavy several things he wanted for him to resign. Dunleavy fought for him and got him all the things he wanted, and then got a text message from Brand saying he was leaving to Philly.

That's kind of what I've heard now that I looked into it some more. Apparently Brand asked for a second piece, no specifics, to make them contenders. Brand's agent continued to shop him, and got him a contract with Philadelphia. Brand agreed.

Saw an interview with Dunleavy who blames it more on the agent but still feels betrayed by Brand.

You're only defending him because he went to your team. Enjoy it, neither the Clippers nor the Sixers are going to be contenders anytime soon.

Brand pulled a dick move. I like Baron Davis, and I'm happy to see him in LA. Maybe I'll hit up a Clippers game now that he's there, although I'm a Lakers fan. I feel for the Clippers, since they had what they thought was an honorable agreement with Brand, and he decided to do what he felt was right for him. Fair play, but a lot of people, including myself, don't have any respect for that. It would have been completely different if he hadn't said anything about returning.

Even with Brand the Clip Show would have found it tough going in terms of getting into the playoffs with the West. They'd likely have been fighting it out with Portland and Denver for the 8th spot.

From what Corey Maggette said, he, Brand and Davis talked about playing for the Clippers and becoming the Celtics of the West. Now what messed that up was when Brand left. From what I heard, Brand's agent told Dunleavy that he wanted a $100 mil contract. But than Brand turned around and told 'leavy that if he will be happy with a $72 mil contract. Time was running out on whether or not he'd get that contract when Philly and Golden State offered him contracts. He hadn't heard from the Clippers in a couple days so he chose to sign with Philly while it was still on the table which led to Maggette coming over to Golden State. And being a Golden State fan, I am quite happy with getting Maggette. I feel like Golden State is in a better situation now than when Davis was here. Maggette averaged more points last season than Davis, he's an upgrade in free-throws, and he can also play Nellie ball. Him in a line-up with Ellis and Jackson, I'm liking it.

Yeah, the end conclusion is that he shouldn't have said shit if he wasn't going to stay.

To be fair to him, though. I'd lie my ass off to fucking orphans if it meant that I ended up with $80 million.

But $75 million instead of $80 million to stick by your word and maintain your honor? I would sacrifice $5 million for that.

DMN makes a valid point of me defending Brand because he's coming to the sixers which is a good and true point. However I feel like it gives us a better core and while we aren't the best team in the league by any means we're still playing in the east. And as far as the east goes the Sixers have a very solid team.

From what Corey Maggette said, he, Brand and Davis talked about playing for the Clippers and becoming the Celtics of the West. Now what messed that up was when Brand left. From what I heard, Brand's agent told Dunleavy that he wanted a $100 mil contract. But than Brand turned around and told 'leavy that if he will be happy with a $72 mil contract. Time was running out on whether or not he'd get that contract when Philly and Golden State offered him contracts. He hadn't heard from the Clippers in a couple days so he chose to sign with Philly while it was still on the table which led to Maggette coming over to Golden State. And being a Golden State fan, I am quite happy with getting Maggette. I feel like Golden State is in a better situation now than when Davis was here. Maggette averaged more points last season than Davis, he's an upgrade in free-throws, and he can also play Nellie ball. Him in a line-up with Ellis and Jackson, I'm liking it.

The Warriors have no PG now.

Nobody but Philly has benefited from these musical chairs of movement. The Clippers have no inside presense, and braon will have to go back to hsi Hornets days and carry the whole fucking load.

The Warriors have no PG now that I know of, and as good as Maggette, Jackson & Ellis is... Nellie Ball or any ball won't work without a good PG.

Philly are obvious winners as they get a huge upgrade in their front court (Assuming brand is as good as before) and haven't lost anybody. Plus since they are in the East, they have a shot at the playoff's at least. It was probably the smartest career move for Brand, but if he had just made it clear he was leaving no matter what (Which honestly just seems to be the case) than I doubt the Clippers would have signed an older guy like Davis. It would either be young parts towards building a future, and the Warriors would have been able to re-sign him and become a far better team.

So yeah, brand fucked up two western teams on his way to Philly. What a champion.

The Warriors have no PG now that I know of, and as good as Maggette, Jackson & Ellis is... Nellie Ball or any ball won't work without a good PG.

From my understanding, they're gonne move Ellis to PG. He got some time playing PG during last season, and I like him playing PG than SG. I think Ellis will make the transition from SG to PG smoothly.

Marcus Camby has been sent to the Clippers in exchange for a second round pick according to espn.com.

I have to give credit to the Clippers for getting something decent in Brand's absence. He may be an older player, but he is a good rebounder and a great defender. It still probably wont do much in getting the Clippers to the playoffs, but it's definitely a solid move on their part.