The Official Coca-Cola Leagues Thread

Adam

Was that when it was just one team who went down?

I have a question, because i don't believe I'm informed on the matter. Will the teams that have gone into admin all be given a 15 point deduction because of the CVA law? I doubt many teams are able to meet the criteria the CVA set out, so by the FAs rules they will get said penalty. Have I misunderstood this?

Yes but for the record, it's the Football League's "rule", not the FA's.

We might not get another deduction because our main creditor is our ex-chairman and not the Inland Revenue, making the chances of getting a CVA through more likely.

However, there's more chance of us folding completely to be perfectly honest.

It's very unlikely you won't get a deduction, the fact your chairman is the creditor isn't relevant (as far as I'm aware), the IR still want 100% of their money so long as footballing creditors get 100% (this is because of the FL's rules). But because by law the Inland Revenue can only recieve what everyone else receives (probably likely to be about 10-20% at most), they'll never get that unless someone pays every creditor 100% but if that was going to happen, they'd have bought you before you went into administration because it'd have been cheaper.

Until the football league stop being cunts and get rid of the 100% football creditors rule (I mean seriously, what makes the money Leeds owed Danny Mills more important than the money Leeds owed St John's ambulance?) or they decide to stop the point deductions (which won't happen because Ken Bates, and if they've any sense Luton, Bourno and Rotherham too, will sue the football league in a flash) every team who goes into administration is going to be docked at least 25 points altogether.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole point of the CVA is that now clubs can't pick and choose what they want to give where and whatnot, the FA realise that if say... Norwich go into administration, if they have the choice they'd pay the players and outside debt before they go and pay the debt of creditors.

So going by this, the FA get a bigger chunk of the money recouped than they would normally. Personally I think they've got this in place for the future, knowing that as soon as a Premiership team goes into admin, they'd get a MUCH bigger chunk of the cash than say... a League 1 team going into admin.

I think the whole point of the CVA is that now clubs can't pick and choose what they want to give where and whatnot, the FA realise that if say... Norwich go into administration, if they have the choice they'd pay the players and outside debt before they go and pay the debt of creditors.

So going by this, the FA get a bigger chunk of the money recouped than they would normally. Personally I think they've got this in place for the future, knowing that as soon as a Premiership team goes into admin, they'd get a MUCH bigger chunk of the cash than say... a League 1 team going into admin.

Football teams never got to pick who gets what. Every creditor gets an equal percentage of what they're owed, and that's true in any business not just football clubs. But until a few years ago HMRC used to get a special exemption where they'd get 100% of whatever they're owed before the rest of the cash got split up. This was then outlawed meaning they only got what every other creditor gets (which is fair enough).

The problem is that footballing creditors get the special exemption that that HMRC used to get but HMRC don't want them to have it since they can no longer have it by law, so HMRC will reject any CVA unless the creditors are paid 100 pence in the pound (i.e. everything). That'll only happen once in a blue moon because it'd be cheaper to buy them before they went into administration and then restructure the debts.

Also Premiership teams will never go bust for many reasons. 1) There's too much money in the Premiership nowadays. 2) Someone will always buy them because of reason number one. 3) They'll more than likely have players they can sell for decent amounts of money. Also, it's not an FA law, it's a football league law, so a premiership club going into administration doesn't affect them anyway.

Well, today was a typical end of season game, neither side cared and everyone was in a good mood, shame about the injury time goal to sink us but it made little difference (one point and one league place for us) and we did alright. I can't believe Norwich went down by conceding four at Charlton, that's just poor, and for Cardiff to miss out on the play-offs by one goal, that one goal being a result of their 6-0 thrashing at Preston the other week is, well, it's hilarious really.

So I got what I wanted and didn't lose any money from my bet with a Sheff U supporting friend, now come on Burnley in the play-offs!

I pretty much agree with everything you've just said except replace "it's hilarious really" with "the best thing to ever happen ever". I hate Cardiff and quite honestly hope their stadium costs relied on them being promoted and thus they end up in administration and then dwindle into nothingness. <_<

Edited by Footjob Fever

All in all, I said I'd take 10th as an extremely good season and 11th is just as good. We've made some good progress on last season and I am quietly confident we can challenge for the play-offs next season. Not as exciting as it has been for Bristol Rovers in the last good few years or so (both good and bad), but compared to where we had been before, this is a complete turnaround and I am permanently pleased.

Here's to Norwich/Charlton/Southampton away next season!

And a quirky take on sponsorship for next season - Bristol Rovers announce this via our official website:

ROVERS OFFER UNIQUE SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Posted on: Sun 03 May 2009

Bristol Rovers have come up with a unique way to tackle the credit crunch and give local businesses a fantastic opportunity to get involved with the club.

And it means that your company could have its name on the Bristol Rovers' home shirt for the entire season for just £1,000.

The club has decided to hold a special sponsorship draw for a chance to become the team's official shirt sponsor for the 2009/10 season.

Local businesses can buy a draw ticket for £1,000 and win the opportunity to see their company's name on the blue and white quarters next season.

The draw will be held at the Memorial Stadium at the end of the month, and there will be three chances to win big.

1st Prize - Your name on the Bristol Rovers home shirt.

2nd Prize - Your name on the Bristol Rovers away shirt.

3rd Prize - A perimeter advertising board worth £2,500.

And even if you don't win big, you will not leave empty handed. The club are also offering everyone who enters a fantastic hospitality package worth £700 - which includes a meal for 10 people and a stadium tour, a chance to have your photograph taken with the squad and a Bristol Rovers signed football.

The draw will be capped to a maximum of 100 tickets, to maximise your chance of winning, and you can buy a special treble ticket for £2,000 which will allow you three entries into the draw.

Rovers have been looking for a new sponsor since Cowlin Construction decided not to renew their deal back in March.

The club have had talks with a number of companies, but after failing to close a suitable deal, they came up with the idea to get more local businesses involved.

The raffle was the brain child of Bristol Rovers Commercial Director Barry Bradshaw. He said: "We had a great relationship with Cowlin, and we are now looking to form new links in the local community.

"Obviously money is tight at the moment, so we decided to be creative and try something a bit different. We have always known that there are lots of local businesses out there who would love to come on board, but have been put off by the high prices of shirt sponsorship.

"This is a great opportunity for those businesses to get involved with Bristol Rovers and see their name on the front of our shirt.

"In recent years we have been involved with a number of high profile games which have been covered by the local and national media, so this will be a fantastic chance for two companies to really get their names seen.

"And even if you don't win one of the three main prizes, you will still get the chance to experience a great day out at the Memorial Stadium with one of our award winning hospitality packages and get to meet the team for a special team photo - something money cannot buy!"

For more information on how to purchase a raffle ticket contact Ian Holtby at the Memorial Stadium on 01179524049 or email ianholtby@bristolrovers.co.uk. Closing date for entries is Wednesday May 27th at 6pm, with the raffle being drawn on Friday May 29th at the Memorial Stadium. Everyone who has bought a ticket will be invited to attend the draw.

For more information click Shirt sponsorship leaflet. Terms and conditions apply.

I got to be honest, for us this is pretty quirky. Still, if it works? £100,000 in the kitty.

EWB, fancy being on a League One shirt next season? :shifty:

Edited by x x x B S I G x x x

You know about as much as I do mate. There's an announcement due tomorrow, but it's expected to be the appointment of our youth team coach as temporary manager while it gets sorted out. But no clue what's happening with the buyer situation.

The Sun is reporting that darlo are fucked... but it's the Sun so...

We're doomed.

We had a whopping one serious bidder, whose offer the chairman won't accept. Unfortunately he holds the power because he split the stadium and the club into separate companies, and the bidder won't take one without the other. So the chairman is being a stubborn cunt. He seems quite happy to let us die.

We have 5 staff currently on the books after sacking the entire backroom and stadium staff, as well as asking the players to take 100% (!) wage deferrals, so they're all going.

The administrators have acted disgracefully in all of this, they're being very secretive, constantly contradicting themselves and keeping the fans in the dark. Noises are already being made about making plans to start an AFC Darlington or similar somewhere down the pyramid.

Darlington Football Club will not be playing League football next season. Not a prayer.

Wow, that sucks horribly.

It sounds like the chairman is just viewing the club as some sort of business he can just default and save money on.

Unfortunately, because of the way we have our legal system... they can technically get away with this, and could well be at another football club next season.

The Sun is reporting that darlo are fucked... but it's the Sun so...

We're doomed.

We had a whopping one serious bidder, whose offer the chairman won't accept. Unfortunately he holds the power because he split the stadium and the club into separate companies, and the bidder won't take one without the other. So the chairman is being a stubborn cunt. He seems quite happy to let us die.

We have 5 staff currently on the books after sacking the entire backroom and stadium staff, as well as asking the players to take 100% (!) wage deferrals, so they're all going.

The administrators have acted disgracefully in all of this, they're being very secretive, constantly contradicting themselves and keeping the fans in the dark. Noises are already being made about making plans to start an AFC Darlington or similar somewhere down the pyramid.

Darlington Football Club will not be playing League football next season. Not a prayer.

:'( ({)

I'd say fuck Brian Mawhinney, but he isn't directly at fault for once (as far as I know). The buyer should take the club, groundshare with someone and let the chairman keep the stadium. Are there houses near your stadium? If so just get all those people to object to any planning permission and thus your chairman is stuck with a stadium he can't do anything with.

And I wouldn't blame the administrators, they're not really obliged to inform the fans of anything at the end of the day it's their job to run the club as a business not as a club.

Good luck to AFC Darlo if/when they emerge but I hope you can somehow pull through this.

Just had to (potentially) for out 80 notes for Wembley if we get there. Fucking robbing cunts. Still, at least my mate's dad's taking us there this year so we can go have a few beforehand unlike official coach travel which has no pub stop :(

There aren't many houses near the stadium but it has all sorts of conditions attached to it anyway so it's not really much good to the chairman without a team playing in it. If we do fold he'll probably just let it rot away for a few years until it becomes (even more of) an eyesore and then he'll offer to do it up again and stick a few football pitches on the land, because I think one of the conditions of the stadium land is that it has to have sporting facilities.

Yeah I am perhaps being harsh on the administrators, it's just that their silence is deafening, and really frustrating. Last time we were in admin, the administrators regularly kept the fans informed which I know they're not obliged to do, but it would be nice.

I thought we'd had it bad enough with George Reynolds. But to be honest he was just a fame-hungry megalomaniac who wanted the publicity, and ended up way out of his depth. The current chairman George Houghton is far more calculating, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Ben that we've just released Jason Price, I hope he can do us one last favour and aid in the failure of Leeds United's promotion push. I'm actually looking forward to that game on Saturday actually.

And it sounds really bad at Darlington-has this all stemmed from Reynolds and the ground and all that? It'd really suck to see a team go bust, specially one I like.

Plus I guess it'd mean Chester get a reprieve :mellow:

Groundshare with Middlesbrough or even Hartlepool, fuck the chairman, leave him with the stadium and let him rot. In the close season all semi-local teams (like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool) should put together to have a tournament with all proceeds going to Darlo. It won't happen because the world of football is full of cunts but that's what should happen.

And it sounds really bad at Darlington-has this all stemmed from Reynolds and the ground and all that? It'd really suck to see a team go bust, specially one I like.

All that stuff didn't help, but the current chairman is the one who has done all the damage. Our first post-Reynolds chairman had us actually running at an even keel so it's been proved possible to run a self-sufficient club even at our ridiculous stadium. Our current chairman has spent big money on wages, and it backfired after we didn't go up last year.

Groundshare with Middlesbrough or even Hartlepool, fuck the chairman, leave him with the stadium and let him rot. In the close season all semi-local teams (like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool) should put together to have a tournament with all proceeds going to Darlo. It won't happen because the world of football is full of cunts but that's what should happen.

Pfft, have you been to Hartlepool's ground? I don't think so :P

We do have some local-ish friendlies already booked despite our future being up in the air. We're playing Sunderland and I think Donny are coming up as well, although apparently we're trying to scrap Donny and get another Premiership team instead <_<

Edited by Darloboy

Plus I guess it'd mean Chester get a reprieve

You say reprieve but if there financial but If their situation is as bad as has been suggested, then they will be in admin within weeks I think. That therefore would lead to them having AT LEAST ten points taken from them, and if you include the CVA stuff also, then possibly hitting 25, what would be the point?