The Official Coca-Cola Leagues Thread

Adam

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beckford's turned down a contract and he's been transfer listed. Good. The less stroppy, petulants cunts at the club the better. Apparently might be going to Newcastle, but I somehow doubt it, especially with Wisey gone, more likely to be Wolves who were reportedly interested last week or maybe even someone like Burnley or Hull. Either way, so long as we get some good money for him, I won't shed a tear. Good riddance because IMO he's been one of the main contributing factors in both our playoff failures. Sure his goals are great but I'd sooner have another Becchio who'll score a few less but give so much more to the team (in terms of assists, effort and attitude).

Oh and we've also said he won't be going cheap despite only having a year left on his contract, if no-one offers anything decent for him, I say let him rot in the reserves and see what comes up in January.

Edited by --Matt--

I'll be glad to sell Beckford too but wouldn't take a cheap deal. If he stays he's guaranteed to score enough goals to get us promoted, which he proved this season. I think if he got us promoted he'd stay on then, and if he leaves he'll of done enough to get us up.

The news I'm sad about is Sodje meant to be signing for Bristol City. If Grayson keeps the nucleaus of our squad but really strengthens the back four (new keeper, right back and centre back) and buys a goal scorer to replace Beckford we should piss the league. Had Naylor and Grayson been at the club since August we'd be preparing to go to Newcastle now.

Back on to Beckford, I'd like us to keep him at this level but I agree his attitude is embarassing at times. Selling him won't make us a bad club, but we will need to replace him. As much as I like Becchio we have fuck all after him (Dickinson is shite, Grella can't seem to hack the pace of the game and Tom Elliott has always looked useless).

Also be sad to see Dougy leave, but he was our biggest earner I think so was inevitable.

Is Dougie definitely off? And I think Frazer (who's hopefully going too) and Becks were our biggest earners, but Dougie wasn't far behind. Shame as he could more than do a job and had a great attitude.

We were never going to get Sodje in this league, which is a shame, I'd like to see Hunts and Lubo given chances alongside Naylor (in preseason) before we get anyone else in. We don't have any good centre halves in the academy though which is surprising and disappointing in equal measures.

I would prefer us to replace Casper, but I won't be overly bothered if he stays as first choice (so long as Lucas isn't #2), he's looked solid for the last half of the year, as much as I shit myself when he goes to catch a ball.

On Becchio, I agree, Tres is shite (do we still have him or did we sell him to Charlton?), Enoch can't finish, Elliot is the biggest disappointment to ever come out of Thrope Arch (about 3 years ago he looked a real gem) and I might actually cry if I see Dicko back next year. Grella though looks alright as a back up to me. He hasn't had any time in the games yet but when he does play he tries hard, has a good first touch and good awareness... he hasn't had a proper shot at goal yet though which is worrying.

Next year, IMO, this will be our team:

GK: Casper/New goalkeeper

LB: Parker

RB: New right back

CB: Naylor

CB: Rui/Michalik/Huntington

LM: Robinson

RM: Snodgrass

CM: Howson

CM: Kilkenny

ST: Becchio

ST: New striker

Douglas was confirmed Friday I think, even had him put a message thanking fans for their support. Frazer was offered a new contract and Lucas was also released. We've offered Jonny Webb a contract, think he's a centre half from the academy but presume he'll be loaned out. Heard Hotchkiss is the other who may break through this year, but heard the same about Rothery a while back.

A right back now becomes the top priority, as whilst I think Frazer is decent for this level we can certainly do better. Left back I have no worries about whatever, we have three good left backs for this league and all are quite young which is an added bonus.

I think Snoddy can play as a striker. May not be his prefered position but I think he and Becchio will have a good enough understanding. Maybe get Puncheon from MK in to play on the wings.

I think that team you've named will be the one who starts next season, however I do worry about Howson against the more physical teams. Would love us to sign someone who can put a good tackle in to play alongside Kilkenny

Damn, didn't realise Dougie had actually left. Seems a bit shit we didn't get any money for him, I guess he'll be Championship bound (he nearly went last summer IIRC). Hope Frazer doesn't stay, or if he does, I hope he's second choice, he's adequate when he's on form, and diabolical when he's not.

I'd take Snoddy up front if we can get a good winger in - I doubt Puncheon would come, he's turned us down twice :P

Yeah, that's the major problem with Killa/Howson, it doesn't work against the ugly styled teams like Millwall, but I think Brad Johnson could fit in in those games, good box to box midfielder who can put in a tackle.

I hope we get a couple of young Prem loanees this year, we've never really had that, only one I can think of being Danny Pugh. We were close to getting Nemeth from Liverpool last year, he might be a decent shout

Carl Dickinson from Stoke was a loan. Liked him but a left back is the last position we need.

Think that Simeon Jackson from Gillingham could do a job, but think this will be his level (much like Beckford). Richardson I think is good going forward he just needs to be better disciplined defensively. We have the best manager to do that.

Bradley Johnson I never thought of for that position. Would be tempted on Savage for a couple of months, but would be worried about his age now. Sort of player we need anyway

..Everyone hates Burnley. In fact, they're the team everyone hates for no rational reason.

For one reason or another, most Lancashire teams seem to hate Burnley the most. Blackburn, Preston, Bury, Rochdale etc.

Robbie Savage is in the first team at Derby again now though, isn't he? Plus he'd command high wages I'd assume.

I wouldn't complain if we signed Beckford but I don't think he's an all-round good player really.

EDIT: And I've never seen anyone outside of Blackburn who hates Burnley, really.

Edited by AdamDRFC

Carl Dickinson from Stoke was a loan. Liked him but a left back is the last position we need.

Think that Simeon Jackson from Gillingham could do a job, but think this will be his level (much like Beckford). Richardson I think is good going forward he just needs to be better disciplined defensively. We have the best manager to do that.

Bradley Johnson I never thought of for that position. Would be tempted on Savage for a couple of months, but would be worried about his age now. Sort of player we need anyway

Who mentioned Carl Dickinson? I'd take him back in a heartbeat if we needed a LB but we don't.

Nah, I don't think Jackson will do too well next year, whether he stays with Gills or moves to another L1 side. I really don't rate Richardson, never have never will.

Johnson is a natural centre mid, he played there for Northampton (mostly) and for Brighton when he went on loan, however, when Wise signed him he shunted him out on the left and it kinda stuck through Macca and Grayson's reigns for some reason. He plays so much better in the centre but the only time he's done it for Leeds was the last 20 minutes against Gillingham on the last day of last season.

Edit: I think Burnley are the one Lancashire team outside of Liverpool, Everton and Blackburn that I don't dislike.

Edited by --Matt--

CHAMPIONSHIP:

1. Birmingham City

2. Reading

3. Sheffield United

4. Queens Park Rangers

5. Crystal Palace

6. Cardiff City

7. Swansea City

8. Ipswich Town

9. Derby County

10. Wolves

11. Watford

12. Preston NE

13. Charlton Athletic

14. Bristol City

15. Nottm Forest

16. Burnley

17. Blackpool

18. Sheffield Wednesday

19. Coventry City

20. Doncaster Rovers

21. Southampton

22. Norwich City

23. Barnsley

24. Plymouth Argyle

LEAGUE ONE:

1. Leeds United

2. Southend United

3. Leicester City

4. Brighton & HA

5. Peterborough United

6. Oldham Athletic

7. Northampton Town

8. Huddersfield Town

9. Scunthorpe United

10. Colchester United

11. Walsall

12. Carlisle United

13. Milton Keynes Dons

14. Tranmere Rovers

15. Leyton Orient

16. Millwall

17. Hartlepool United

18. Bristol Rovers

19. Swindon Town

20. Stockport County

21. Hereford United

22. Yeovil Town

23. Cheltenham Town

24. Crewe Alexandra

LEAGUE TWO:

1. Darlington

2. Gillingham

3. Shrewsbury Town

4. Wycombe Wanderers

5. Bradford City

6. Port Vale

7. Aldershot Town

8. Brentford

9. Barnet

10. Chesterfield

11. Rochdale

12. Notts County

13. Morecambe

14. Exeter City

15. Lincoln City

16. Accrington Stanley

17. Bury

18. Grimsby Town

19. Macclesfield Town

20. Chester City

21. Rotherham United

22. Bournemouth

23. Dagenham & Redbridge

24. Luton Town

Very Late EDIT: I'd put Yeovil twice instead of Crewe. I was just checking for curiosity's sake. Not that ANYBODY will read this until I quote it at the end of the season.

I guess I was right there. Anyone else who made predictions, check to see how you did.

Championship-Well, I correctly predicted Birmingham to go up, but picked Wolves to finish midtables. Sheff U third was a good bet as well though, as was Norwich to go down! Not a lot of people would have said that I'd have thought. Burnley in 16th and Charlton in 13th were very bad predictions though.

League One-Didn't do very well here. The two sides who went up I predicted for play-off spots, although I did manage three out of four for the relegation spots. Northampton seventh though? Doh!

League Two-Not too well here either but I wasn't far off I suppose. Luton down was an easy one, Dagenham nearly made the play-offs though!

To be fair, my predictions in that thread are exactly the same.

Today, Accrington Stanley have been issued with a winding up order from HM Revenue & Customs, so it looks like they might be going out of business. They're blaming it on crap attendance figures, which at 1400 for a League Two club is poor, we regularly got 2500 in the league below, so I dunno why that's happened to them but it'll be a shame if they do go under. At this rate with all these teams in trouble not only will Chester and Luton be given reprieves but they'll be asking Cambridge if they wanna get promoted via losing the play-offs! :P

Out of interest, if, for example, Accrington, Darlington AND Southampton all went out of business and got chucked out of the league, what would they do? Have a 23-team League 2 for next season with both Chester and Luton getting reprieves? I know Chester are in administration as well, which makes it even worse.

To be fair, my predictions in that thread are exactly the same.

Today, Accrington Stanley have been issued with a winding up order from HM Revenue & Customs, so it looks like they might be going out of business. They're blaming it on crap attendance figures, which at 1400 for a League Two club is poor, we regularly got 2500 in the league below, so I dunno why that's happened to them but it'll be a shame if they do go under. At this rate with all these teams in trouble not only will Chester and Luton be given reprieves but they'll be asking Cambridge if they wanna get promoted via losing the play-offs! :P

Out of interest, if, for example, Accrington, Darlington AND Southampton all went out of business and got chucked out of the league, what would they do? Have a 23-team League 2 for next season with both Chester and Luton getting reprieves? I know Chester are in administration as well, which makes it even worse.

I assume they'd take the highest ranking BSP side, don't know whether it's by playoffs or league position though.

I think someone will save Accrington, I hope they do, anyway.

I don't think they're trying to sell actually, the chairman says that they will pay the 300k back, but where they're gonna get that from, I've no idea.

I don't think we'll have a situation where were a team short now though, Darlington have been bought today by a local businessman named Raj Singh. Although we do have Southampton unable to pay the players and staffs wages, which is never good.

EDIT: And less than half an hour after I say that, it is announced that Le Tissier is heading up a consortium trying to buy the club and get everyone paid their May wages! All is not lost for these struggling teams after all then.

Edited by AdamDRFC