The Horror Movie Thread

TheRyno

How is Visitor Q? Between that and the Dead Or Alive movies, they're the Takashii Miike movies that I've wanted to see for years but never got to.

I haven't seen Visitor Q yet, but it's high on my list for viewing at Netflix. I'll let you know as soon as I see it. You can't go wrong with Takashi Miike movies!

Cloverfield- I've heard so much back and forth on this I really went into it not expecting to like it. I loved it. I loved the hand held camera aspect and how it drew me into the action. I loved not knowing anymore than the characters, about what was going on, and feeling in the minute. I was on my seat the whole time with my jaw clinched. I didn't realize any of this until the film was over and I had to relax my entire body. I would have loved to seen this in a theater and I'm very pissed at myself for not. All this said, I don't think I would enjoy a sequel.

Teeth- I liked it a lot, but some was sorta hokey, some was darkly funny. The chick reminded me of Alicia Silverstone in Crush. Not bad for a lil low budget film. Oh and just for you guys, full frontal nudity.

Pathology This movie frankly bored me. I watched about 30 minutes of it and turned it off. I went back to it again a few hours later and finally just gave up on it.

I get Frontiers this weekend and I'm excited!

Edited by Synjynpsychobitch

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diary of the Dead - As somebody who doesn't cream his pants over Romero, this movie was a huge surprise to me. The POV aspect of it was generally creepy, especially in the hospital scene, and that's without the use of cheesy pop-up scares. Still, it could've used some help at the editing floor/scripting process, as there are a few things that really hold it back from being an absolute classic. Take, for example, the completely one-dimensional, cliched character that is the Professor. Still, although the political/social satire is probably at the most obvious it ever has been in Romero's Dead series, I never felt like it got to the absolute point of just being annoying. And the ending's (the very end, with the two 'marksmen') one that I know is going to stay in my head for a while, something which truly takes a good movie to happen.

I picked up The Signal and Frontier(s), too, and I'll be getting my hands on Funny Games (the remake), Calvaire and Inside soon. I'm basically on a kick for anything that isn't so trite to the point that you can practically guess how the entire movie will play out, but that is also genuinely creepy and entertaining. Any suggestions, besides what I've already mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Friday The 13th Part II on Friday. It is my favourite Friday The 13th movie simply because the heroine hides in a bush, and when she is found by Jason Voorhees she stands up and serves him with a kick right to the balls.

I just ordered Near Dark off Amazon to add to my 80's horror collection, anyone seen it?

And after seeing some leaked pics and toy shots, I'm liking the new look they've given Jason for the Friday The 13th remake

I wasn't a fan of Diary of the Dead. However I think Quarantine looks like what I thought Diary of the Dead should have been. Plus it's from the guys that did The Poughkeepsie Tapes, and that movie was fantastic.

And Clive Barker said in an interview he got to see Midnight Meat Train and said he felt it was one of the best adaptations of his work.

I saw Visitor Q about a year ago. It's not a horror movie and it's not a drama...I don't think so anyways. We were laughing the whole time because of how far it tries to go to shock you. Reminded me a lot of Pink Flamingo's. It was terrible and I like Miike movies but this one was just dumb. Avoid it.

Edited by Snow White and the 7Ups

Clive Barker is an author, and he mostly just sells the rights to his stuff, to be made into films. They attach his name so that people know what to expect, sorta. Most of the time, he has little or nothing to do with the product we get as a film.

That's why the films that are based on his stories are hit or miss. Someone could pitch him a great idea of how to bring something to the silver screen, and then deliver something completely different and totally awful. Once you have the rights, you can turn it into whatever you want.

Oh, I know the situation. I meant more so 'let's hope he revives his career where he doesn't just sell his shit becaue he needs a payday and he sells his shit to make a good movie'.

Ah, well, he doesn't need the money. He recently released an awesome novel, Mister B Gone. Check it out if you haven't. It's a little anitclimactic, but it's a hell of a read.

Along with that, he's writing the final novel to involve Pinhead. That's right, he's killing him off.

He's doing extremely well, so he doesn't need the cash. Which means that we can probably safely assume that any films coming out with his name attached won't be utter shit.

I actually read that a few weeks ago and thought that it was really good but as you said, kind of anticlimatic. While reading it, I thought it could make an awesome animated movie.

Just watched Night of the Demons 2 and Hellraiser 3 in the last 24 hours.

Demons was a good example of how adding camp to a series can increase longevity in a good way. Hellraiser was an example of exactly the opposite.

I enjoyed both films, but Pinhead's venture into the world of wise-cracking and having minions with even smarter mouths kind of ruined the tension that made the first film work for me, and to a lesser extent, the second film. Hopefully, if the remake of the film goes ahead as planned, they stick to a strict diet of high tension, psychological mindfucks and plenty of gore.

Night of the Demons is also on the slate for a remake, and if that goes through, I hope they up the camp-factor, unless they plan on avoiding it all together. Throwing in a little here or there and trying to make it a serious movie won't work. They'll have to go one way or the other with it... and I'd hate to be the girl who has to take up the lead role, as Amelia Kinkade is a fucking babe. Iconic too... but mostly a babe. Same with Pinhead, minus the babe factor... anybody other than Doug Bradley will be under a microscope in that role.

I just ordered Near Dark off Amazon to add to my 80's horror collection, anyone seen it?

I didn't blow my load over it like most people have seen it, calling it a horror classic and all. But I did like it. It's not really scary, it's more of a gory drama about the lives of a drifting band of vampires and their struggles to stay out of the daylight and away from the police, despite their constant bloodthirst.

I didn't blow my load over it like most people have seen it, calling it a horror classic and all. But I did like it. It's not really scary, it's more of a gory drama about the lives of a drifting band of vampires and their struggles to stay out of the daylight and away from the police, despite their constant bloodthirst.

Yeah but crazy homicidal Bill Paxton is worth the hour and a half.

I finally got around to watching Frontier(s) today. I won't say it was awful, because it wasn't. It had it's moments and there is quite a bit of gore, but my main problem with this film is that it borrowed from so many other great horror films, and not in a good homage kinda way. You'd think that a movie about

canniblistic, nazi progeny,in the setting of a French deliverance

would be somewhat original. Sadly, it so wasn't. I wanted to like this film. I didn't hate it, but I have no love for it. On a up note, there were some good shots and some uncomfortable moments. I'll even give a couple good performances. I'll give this a 5-10

Just finished watching Hellraiser V: Inferno.

It isn't faithful to any of the four that came before it, but it's a damn fine mindfuck of a movie. I found that I enjoyed it more than the 3rd and 4th installments for sure, and it ranks right up there with the 2nd.

I pray, ironically, that the remake will be both a gorefest AND a psychological mindfuck, and not one way or the other. Really, it's best attacks are psychological, but the gore amplifies the effect.

Not a fan of the ending to 5 though... I mean, I get the idea that he's stuck in his own personal hell, reliving it over and over, but it just seems like something that should happen in a movie that doesn't involve Hell's personal henchmen.

• 3 weeks later...

The Wizard of Gore remake was a pretty kickass movie. Not the best in terms of story, but the visuals were great, the use of the Suicide Girls was awesome, and it was a pretty good horror/gore/noir type film. I enjoyed it.

I'm not too happy with the ending of the film though. I haven't seen the original, but from what I've read, the ending to that would have made more sense, as despite the fact that the main character is a reporter, the movie should have been about Montag.

Either way... Crispin Glover is creepy as shit. I love him.

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping the thread since it's, well, the right thread.

I just got back from the Scarefest horror convention in Lexington, Kentucky. A surprise hit and, by admission from pretty much everybody there, much bigger than it had any right to be. It actually dwarfed a lot of "credible" conventions in its first year, and a follow-up has already been announced for next year. If you're anywhere near, I implore you to come down.

Got to meet, get autographs from, and photos with, the following people: Sid Haig, Bill Moesely, Michael Berryman, PJ Soles, David Naugthon, Tom Towles, the guys from Deadpit Radio, and Kane Hodder.

friday13.jpg

I also got that. <_<

It's signed by Adrienne King (Alice), Ari Lehman (young Jason Voorhees), Betsy Palmer (Pamela Voorhees), Harry Manfredini (the composer), Tom Savini (effects, of course), and Victor Miller (the writer; actually his first convention).

I got the poster from Adrienne (the nicest lady on earth) and got it signed by everybody but Savini. I'd gotten his autograph before I got the poster, and I was too broke to get another signature. I went to thank Adrienne King for being so awesome before I left, and she saw the poster and loved it. Started photographing it herself. I told her I had everybody but Tom sign it, and she told me that wouldn't do, and took it to Savini herself. It was awesome.

Got to watch an original 35MM print of the film in a gigantic theater that's been around since the 1920s, too. Also awesome. And of course, I sat in on the Friday the 13th Q&A session that was filmed for the upcoming special edition DVD. If you're a fan, get it when it comes out. You'll love it.

Yeah but crazy homicidal Bill Paxton is worth the hour and a half.

Speaking of Paxton, I think one of the best movies i've seen him in in recent times was Frailty. I think it may have been his directional debut, im not sure but it was a really good film.

Basically, The plot focuses on the strange relationship two young boys have with their father (Paxton) who believes that he has been commanded by God to kill demons, and the consequences this belief has after the boys have grown up.

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

As for other good horror movies that i've seen recently, check out Them (Ils) if you're not seen it already. Its a French horror movie based in Romania and it's kinda similar to the Strangers. Well worth a watch!