Rammstein

MDP

Yeah, so I was introduced to them about 5 years ago by a friend and since then I've really become a huge fan of them. I mean, this band has to be one of the hardest (music wise) bands I've ever heard. Here's a link if you've never heard them before.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=doTBT46wMvA&feature=related

Their videos are gruesome and disturbing, but that doesn't make a difference to me, as long as they keep pounding out the metal. (H)

I hope wiki's right, as if it's right then Rammstein will be releasing a new album this year and going on a world tour with stops here in the US. That would be all sorts of awesome as I've enjoyed them since the mid-90s, and it's my current girl's favorite band. Taking her to see them would just be all sorts of awesome.

My Mum used to bloody love Rammstein, especially Sonne. Haven't caught her listening to them in a while, though. Thank Christ for that, they're bloody awful.

Back in '98 or '99 I was looking around Tower Records in the Village for Sehnsucht and ended up stumbling on Herzeleid in the rack. I picked up both of them and actually preferred Herzeleid which is still to this day the only CD I've ever purchased without hearing a song on it beforehand. My favorite song of theirs would be Engel because I like the hook which the female sings.

I've seen the lyrics in both English & German and the German just sounds better. I wonder if you translated a lot of average songs into another language if they would be more catchy, or if it's just a Rammstein thing.

Most of the time if you translate song they don't sound right. Du Hast is a strange song in english and if you don't know the anything about the german language. Du hast means you have me. Its a german wedding vow. Du Hasst means you hate. Its a play on words. If you say them they sound exactly the same. I have a friend who was an exchange student from german and he explained this to me.

I think them singing in German just makes it seem harder to me.

And the thing with the Du Hast translation, is all cleared up when you actually hear the full sentence, which means, "you have asked me".

Rammstein is the first band I listened to when I started listening to rock/metal. Before I was introduced to them, I listened to rap almost singularly.

Same, except I was never into rap >_>

Most my mates liked them and got me into them about 4-5 years ago. Haven't managed to see them live and from what I've seen they're just working on their new album at the moment and not touring anywhere, which is a pity as I was hoping I might be able to see them when I go to Europe as I missed out when they were here some time ago.

Ah, Rammstein. German Metal at its finest.

I got into them after watching The Matrix. Du Hast really made a good addition to the soundtrack. I didn't listen to them for about 4-7 years (damn, however long it's been since I watched the original Matrix), until I randomly looked them up on YouTube. Recognized Du Hast and restarted my love of Rammstein.

I think Sonne is one of their best songs though. The switching from the heavy verses to the melodic chorus is just wonderful.

And, even though I don't speak German, Rammstein is much better in their native language. Lindemann can't sing as well in English.

Ah, Rammstein. German Metal at its finest.

Hardly. Don't get me wrong, they've done damn well for themselves to get as big as they have singing in their native language; not a lot of non-English speaking bands manage that level of success, but take that away from them and they're really nothing of interest - their lyrics are bland whatever language they're in (although, admittedly, they're much better in German - understandably. You try it with any English song - any wordplay or subtleties are lost in translation - lyrics are the hardest thing in the world to translate, because you lose any sense of rhyme or meter more often than not), and their music is dull as ditchwater - with the possible exception of Sonne, which is above-average at best.

Personally, I don't see how a country so enthralled by its heavy metal, and that is normally such a melting pot for musical styles, and is pretty well situated geographically to take influences from some really metal hotspots, could turn out a band so utterly dire as their chief heavy metal export. Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

Has anyone else ever noticed just about every song Rammstein have ever recorded would make decent wrestling entrance music?

Personally, I don't see how a country so enthralled by its heavy metal, and that is normally such a melting pot for musical styles, and is pretty well situated geographically to take influences from some really metal hotspots, could turn out a band so utterly dire as their chief heavy metal export. Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

Rammstein translates their own lyrics and purposely translates them wrong, just to sound better in English. -_- Although, it really doesn't. If English speakers don't like a song because they can't understand it, then they shouldn't listen to it.

Now, can I tell you how people like me really began to enjoy them? No. I can't. I can't explain how with one album, they were headlining tours. However, Rammstein, brought a different sound to the table. Take Apocalyptica for example. They didn't start out writing songs. They covered Metallica. However, they were different, in the fact that Apocalyptica uses orchestra instruments instead of a typical metal band's instruments. Rammstein, however, is different in the fact that they were one of the first Neue Deutsche Härte, or New German Hardness, bands and it was something that people in Germany enjoyed.

They just got lucky with the timing of the new genre, and ended up being one of the most successful bands in that genre. Of course, they'll never become more popular than the Scorpions. ;)