The Punk RAWK Thread!

DMN in the House

I had totally forgot to pimp my love for any traditional Irish folk themed punk. Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, its all good. Someone should pimp some more out to me, because I only really know the 'big two'.

And yes, I know that Flogging Molly is FAR more traditionally themed than DM. I'd almost hesitate to call them punk, but they kinda fit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had totally forgot to pimp my love for any traditional Irish folk themed punk. Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, its all good. Someone should pimp some more out to me, because I only really know the 'big two'.

And yes, I know that Flogging Molly is FAR more traditionally themed than DM. I'd almost hesitate to call them punk, but they kinda fit.

The Pogues man, you have to have the Pogues. You probably know them already though. The Mahones and the Tossers are also good, the Mahones being more like the Dropkick Murphy's and the Mahones being more like Flogging Molly (more so in the way you described the other two).

Alright, so it's my turn...

I like quite a bit of punk, you guys have seen it through my signatures and avatars. It's hard for to find a starting place, but I like going with 77 style as a starter. The Dead Boys, Ramones, The Zeros, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, and the Saints, Slaughter and the Dogs, the Sex Pistols, and the Damned are good options here.

As for hardcore, it was a bit different in North America than what you'd find in the UK or Sweden for example. The UK and Swedish sounds followed more of a "D-Beat" style which can be credited to the sound you'd hear from a band like Discharge or GBH. Good examples of North American (and really, I should just say American, but there were too many great bands from Canada to forget about) hardcore would be Negative Approach, Wasted Youth, Personality Crisis, Battalion of Saints, Government Issue, Youth Brigade (from D.C., not L.A.), D.O.A., Subhumans (from Canada, not the UK), Crucifix, and Toxic Reasons.

Of course, I do like a lot of the stuff the UK and Sweden did. They had great bands that deserve mention in any discussion such as G.B.H., English Dogs (who are somewhat metal in their approach, but are definitely punk), Riistetyt, Black Uniforms, Puke, Broken Bones, and Anti-Cimex.

At one time in my life I was not much of crust punk fan, but recently I've realized I've always liked crust punk. I realized that I was associating crust punk with the shitty, insipid Casualties street punk crap. Crust punk is vile, dirty, disgusting, and menacing in it's approach. The best of the bunch are Amebix, Order of the Vulture, Battle of Disarm, Electro Hippies, and Ale Hammer.

One of my favorite areas for punk is in California, be it L.A., San Francisco, or Oxnard Valley. I find that California had the best variety of different punk bands, and it seemed that there was simply more creativity out here than the other power house cities of punk. You had the Screamers, Dead Kennedys, Black Randy and the Metrosquad, Geza-X and the Mommymen and the Offs from San Francisco. L.A. housed The Adolescents (Members of D.I. before D.I. was around), The Germs, The Bags, X, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Fear, and the Minutemen. L.A. didn't fuck around.

And of course, I should make mention of Oi. Oi had it's largest following in England, though the French can stake a large claim to having a great collection of Oi bands. It was typically associated with being working class, street tough, and in many cases with skinheads. Oi didn't need to be fast or heavy to get it's point across, it is still as tough a sound in punk as you'll ever hear. The best from the U.K. included Last Resort, Angelic Upstarts, Sham 69, Cockney Rejects, Blitz, and 4-Skins. As for France, my favorites are Camera Silens, Warrior Kids, and Tolbiacs Toads.

Since this is my post, I'm going to rattle off a few bands from my great home state of Michigan. We had something good going in the 70s and 80s, it's too bad things have dwindled down over the years. So then...Angry Red Planet, State, The Allied, The Meatmen, Born Without a Face, The Fix, and Fate Unknown were all local mainstays during the 80s. In fact, I know a couple of old time rockers that played shows or had seen a few of those bands during their heydays.

Now, I'll try to tie up some loose ends here because I know a lot of great bands were not mentioned. Actually, I'll still forget hundreds more, but I'll feel better knowing that I mentioned Dezerter (great band from Poland, the best of the Polish punk acts), Big Boys (Texas hardcore funk punk, as awesome as they were homosexual), Flesh Eaters (Another Cali band, eerie, spooky, and incredible), Bad Brains (D.C. hardcore, one of the best ever), Buzzcocks (UK pop punk, any teenage lover can relate to their music), The Plugz (Chicano's from L.A., twangy guitar sound, do a nice cover of La Bamba), Anti Nowhere League (Pretty straight forward UK punk, a bit lewd, and an excellent show to see live even in their advanced age), and fuck it, how about Billy Childish and the Pop Rivets (it's Billy Childish's punk band before he branched out into his 800 other bands).

That's a pretty good start I'd say.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I don't like Punk. Convert me.

Well, what is it you don't like about it?

Yeah... Punk spans so many different musical elements... that if you can pinpoint what you don't like, we could probably recommend a good amount of stuff that you would.

Also... Plan 9 just released a new album called Manmade Monster... awesome stuff. A couple covers, but 13 original tracks I believe. It's pretty good.

As for Hardcore... Cancer Bats and The Banner are both extremely good. Their two new albums, Hail Destroyer and The Frailty, are just plain awesome.

Oh come on I haven't seen a one punk band on this list yet. How has no one said anything about The Exploited? Anyone heard of Bad Brains? Please tell me you people know the Dead Kennedys. The Ramons are a punk band without a doubt but most people have never heard there good stuff. I heard Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly on the list. Flogging Molly isn't a punk band but they are accepted in punk crowds while dropkick is a celtic punk band. Misfits had about 1 cd while they were a punk band. Feel free to argue with me but before you say something make sure you know what your talking about. For fun anyone also wanna include basic punk ideology? The word anarchy or anarchist should be no were in the description ether.

Edited by deadkenndys1105

Oh come on I haven't seen a one punk band on this list yet. How has no one said anything about The Exploited? Anyone heard of Bad Brains? Please tell me you people know the Dead Kennedys. The Ramons are a punk band without a doubt but most people have never heard there good stuff. I heard Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly on the list. Flogging Molly isn't a punk band but they are accepted in punk crowds while dropkick is a celtic punk band. Misfits had about 1 cd while they were a punk band. Feel free to argue with me but before you say something make sure you know what your talking about. For fun anyone also wanna include basic punk ideology? The word anarchy or anarchist should be no were in the description ether.

Thanks for coming in here and telling us all that we don't listen to punk music. We already established that there's the list of the obvious stuff... which you came in and re-listed.

The fact that you may not like some of what's been listed doesn't negate the fact that they fit as snugly under the banner of Punk as any of what you listed.

The Exploited, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedy's and The Ramones are extremely obvious places for people to start if they're trying to get into what punk used to be. That's why they haven't taken up very much room in the thread.

Feel free to argue with me... but you know, make sure you know what you're talking about before you say anything.

The way you just acted completely goes against everything punk was supposed to be. A big fuck you to the man, to the mainstream, and to the people who were too stuck up and arrogant to accept something different. You sir, are a contradiction...a punk fan who seemingly is a lot of what punk was meant to stand against.

What punk was and what punk is now have very little relationship to each other. Not just in sound but the meaning. New Found Glory and Good Charlotte are considered punk bands right? Now compare an old punk songs lyrics to a new punk songs lyrics and find the connection. While yes styles do change but they should have some sort of strong connection. Im not trying to say that new punk is bad music even though I don't like it. Im saying there is such a weak connection there completely unrelated genres of music. Just because I don't like something doesn't make it bad. I know this video is kinda stupid but you can compare new and old rather easily. Find the connection.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RkRpohN6buM

The difference comes from an evolution of what it started as. There are still lots of punk bands around who are extremely similar to the big ones from the 70's and 80's... the biggest difference is, a lot of newer bands who love punk music, don't have as much to be pissed about these days. For the most part, it's evolved into something that's still sticking up it's middle finger, but is more for fun and unity than anarchism and anti-establisment reasons.

Good Charlotte has punk roots. Their first album, and to a lesser extent, their second album, displayed a lot of similarities musically to older punk bands, but lyrically they were generally more upbeat, or at times, mopey.

New Found Glory has a lot of musical connections to punk music... if you compare them to The Damned, of course it's going to look weird... but if you look at the evolution of punk as a genre over the years, it's not nearly so weird to think that both bands can be put under the same label.

I'll use an example I'm more knowledgable of... the Misfits were always a punk band. Relatively easy chords, high tempo's and singalong choruses, all wrapped up with a big Fuck You note on the bow. They weren't the same as The Ramones or the Kennedy's, but it was still punk music. Now fast forward to 1997 and American Psycho comes out... and if you compare the two incarnations of the band directly, it's hard to lump them under the same banner, as the new Misfits had more of a metal feel to them... of course, taking a look at the evolution of punk, which over that period of time adopted a lot of traits from metal (it works both ways, so nobody get upset)... and you realize that it's still a punk band, they've just adapted to the times and changing sounds of the genre.

Nothing stays the same forever.

You can reminisce about the glory days and miss out on a shit load of good and new music... or you can pay tribute to the past while still enjoying newer stuff. Just because it's changed, doesn't make it any less punk.

Just as a side note... bands like Good Charlotte, Simple Plan and the like, were kids who grew up listening to punk music, signed by labels who wanted to mass market punk music to the pop music crowd. Whoever started it was a genius, because it made a crapload of money, but it's a real black eye on the face of new punk music, when all a lot of purists have to compare new punk to old punk is Simple Plan.

Read my post.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Ok im guessing that you and me are going to disagree till the end of time but I do understand were your going with it. Things do change without a doubt. When I say that I want to to compare new punk to old punk im not asking you to find a close connection because we all know that's not going to happen. There is a line were it evolves from what it originally was into something completely unrelated. If were going through the evolutionary track I would say that that punk went into directions after a while. It went down the path to Hardcore punk and Oi or it went down the path of Emo and New Wave. (Emo as in the genre from the mid 80's and at this time still very close to hardcore and oi) At that time you could see a split but they were still relatively close and could see the strong connection. Emo and New wave split even farther into grunge and alt rock. Alt rock split into newer punk while some moved into indie. New punk split even farther into what we call punk today and new emo. Now you can see the connection. But look at the start and finish in punk. They very different. Now do the same thing with metal music. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...l_Genealogy.jpg You see a much closer relationship. There is the point were evolution goes to the point were they become almost completely unrelated and punk has already done this in my own opinion

Edit: Sorry about that puke. I was kinda excluding you I just didn't say anything. I forgot to make that clear. Im also a Detroit guy myself. Im moving in a few months for school though.

No need to rewrite history. ^_^ Im love the exploited but I can see why some people don't like them. There are a few good local punk bands. Fire at will isn't to bad and class one download. Core Rotten are good to but im kinda bias because im friends with those guys. The Cosmonauts are beyond amazing and im really good friends with them but there not a punk band.

Class One Download? Holy shit, I worked with a dude in that band actually. I'm pretty sure that was the band, but it's been about two years since I'd have had any contact with the dude.

I haven't heard any good local bands in awhile honestly. There was the Bump N Uglies, though I'm not sure if they're active.

I haven't seen the class one guys in a about 2 years also. I know there still playing though. I have seen them a few times at the I-Rock. The Detroit seen in rather dead right now but it seems to be growing again. I have noticed going to local shows its tends to be all newer stuff but there seems to be a least one or two punk bands and there young bands 16-20 so give it a few years and the scene my come back. I have noticed a few places are starting to do punk nights.

Edit: Were getting a bit to local for this thread.

Anyone ever heard of The Scurvies? They're an indy punk band from Alaska. My old band did a show with them a little while back. They kicked ass live, which is honestly the only way I can even stand punk.

I don't like Punk. Convert me.

Well, what is it you don't like about it?

I have never been able to pinpoint it, really. I mean, I like the Clash, YI mentioned the Gaslight Anthem, who I also like (indeed if they are considered somewhat punk), Refused (again, if thats what they fall under), what I've heard of the Dead Kennedys but otherwise, its never grabbed me like some other musical genres do. The raw agression side of things I feel is done better in other genres, so naturally listen to them if I fancy that. I guess the catchier side of it may be where I'd be best looking into, but I've never really been exposed too much to that, and then you get people like further up the thread who will be like 'THATS NOT PUNK RAWK' or some shit.

Liking metal, I guess crossover stuff is also a good idea.

Edited by rvdwannabe