The Punk RAWK Thread!

DMN in the House

Alright, figure we needed a thread where we could all list our favorite punk bands, and get a little love going for some of the unknowns, or bands lost to time, whatever. I know we have a lot of guys (and girls? who the fuck knows.) who dig on it around here, so I'm looking for some suggestions, whatever.

To start it off, here's my favorite punk bands. Nothing special about them (except DI... who put out an album last year... and no one fucking told me...fuckers), but they're mine, and I love them.

DI ('Hang Ten (in East Berlin)'/'Richard Hung Himself')

NoFX ('Olympia, WA'/'Bob'/'Linoleum')

Rancid ('Ruby Soho'/'Timebomb')

Pennywise ('Fuck Authority')

I don't think I need to add The Misfits, Ramones, or Sex Pistols to that list. That should go without saying. NoFX, Rancid, and Pennywise (along with Bad Religion) are probably some of the more mainstream punk bands, especially here in SoCal, but I enjoy them.

Hopefully we'll get some good suggestions going through this thread, and expand my listening. Punk is such a huge genre, feel free to suggest any of the affiliated types of music. Ska, psycho-billy, all that good shit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Misfits are my favorite "punk" band... so here's a list of 5 bands that follow in the same vein:

01. Plan 9

-Their album 8 Hits From Hell, an obvious homage to the Misfits, is mostly original material, but noted for an exceptional cover of Archangel, the track which Samhain made famous.

02. The Serpenteens

-I think they're from South America, but it's hard to remember. Very good horrorpunk band though. Calling All Monster Kids is a pretty cool singalong track.

03. The Belgraves

-They stray a little further away from the punk formula... but they're a pretty good band with a wicked cover of Flock of Seagulls' hit I Ran, on their album Volume 2.

04. The Epidemic

-The guy's voice is a bit monotone, but there's just something about it that I liked. I listened to the whole album, Quarantine Days, from start to finish, and it was just cool. I'm not sure why I like it so much, but I do.

05. The Independents

-Oh god, these guys are so fucking good. Fronted by Evil Presley, they're what I like to call Horror Ska. A lot of their stuff sounds 50's-ish, but with ska elements. I've got 4 studio albums, but my favorite is their live album Live From Murder Beach. They play some Ramones tunes, and a pretty kickass cover of Suspicious Minds. Favorite tracks though, are Baby Doll (from the album Eternal Bond), Sword of Damocles (from Back From the Grave and the Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show) and Vampires From Outer Space (from Full Moon Arise).

There's tons more, but I won't list them. I should give credit to The Cramps though... Rollins Band, Black Flag, The Other, Blitzkid, Bella Morte and Michale Graves. Too much good stuff to go through, really.

Edited by Gabriel

Is that the same Independents that did the ska cover of Danzig's "Mother"? That's the only track I've heard by them, and it was pretty special; used to cover that version with an old band of mine.

Is that the same Independents that did the ska cover of Danzig's "Mother"? That's the only track I've heard by them, and it was pretty special; used to cover that version with an old band of mine.

That would be correct.

If that's all you heard, I'd definately suggest picking up some other stuff by them. They cover such a wide variety of genres in their style that it's hard not to like them.

I can kinda see that. I was kinda hesitant to add them, even though they are one of my favorite punk bands, because a lot of people see them as kind of a joke. Then again, a lot of SoCal punk is like that, where its not as serious. They have two of my favorite tracks in 'Bob' and 'Olympia, WA', though, so I had to add them.

In reality, punk is such a large genre. I mean, you can make arguements for bands like No Doubt and Sublime being punk, and not really be wrong. The Misfits are totally dissimilar to The Ramones, but they're both 'punk', you know?

My favorite "punk" song would probably be "Pumpkin Time" by The World/Inferno Friendship Society. It's half ska-punk, half gospel, all about the Great Pumpkin from The Peanuts.

As for the bands talked about in this thread, I've never heard of DI. I have three NOFX albums but I only play one regularly(Punk in Drublic). Rancid's "And Out Come the Wolves" is a pretty good CD, and it brings me nostalgic joy every time I hear "Maxwell Murder" because I loved Dave Mirra's videogame when I was younger, and that song was used in one of the first levels. Pennywise's "Bro Hymn" is a great song, but that's about all I know from them besides "Fuck Authority" which is sort of fun to sing along to. I've always meant to check out the Misfits, and I've never heard of any of the bands in Gabriel's post, but I plan on soon enough, especially The Serpenteens, as I love foreign bands. An example of that would be my love for the songs I have from Fokofpolisiekar, a South African punk band that sings in Afrikaans.

Edit: After checking it out, it looks like the Serpenteens are actually from New York City, not South America.

Edited by LittleDaniel

I don't feel the need to talk about previously mentioned bands since they've been mentioned, but Fugazi is downright fucking awesome.

Moss Icon is good too, but I'm not exactly sure if they're punk. Oh well.

Speaking of covers of 'Mother', this is certainly a different way to go about it. It's pretty fucking cool, though.

Edited by Will.

psycho_header.jpg

This group of morose motherfuckers.

When I don't feel like absolute shit, I will probably make some massive, long, over the top post. I LOVE me some punk-rock.

For whatever reason, I never got into NOFX, besides from "The Decline", which is fucking epic.

What I'm loving currently;

"Element Of Sonic Defiance" by Strung Out

"Rise Or Die Trying" by Four Year Strong

"The Redder, The Better (EP)" by Polar Bear Club

"The '59 Sound" by The Gaslight Anthem (If it counts as 'punk')

"Manual" by Witches With Dicks

"The Long Walk" by Whippersnapper

"Aaron's Revolution (EP)" by Forus

"Me vs Hero (EP)" by Me vs Hero

Edited by YI

Adding some bands to the list that werent mentioned:

Apocalypse Hoboken, Consumed, Bad Brains, Sublime, LTJ, Bad Astronaut, Bouncing Souls, Guttermouth, Goldfinger, Reverand Horton Heat and many others.

I'll probably get heat for mentioning Offspring, but fuck you they are good.

Edited by MDK

"The Redder, The Better (EP)" by Polar Bear Club

I was pretty cynical when I first read this because I was thinking of them as being Minus the Bear. I always get them mixed up even though they sound very different, simply because they both have "Bear" in their name. It is quite irritating.

As for me, I like the Sex Pistols, Armalite, Strung Out and Four Year Strong among many others.

I can kinda see that. I was kinda hesitant to add them, even though they are one of my favorite punk bands, because a lot of people see them as kind of a joke. Then again, a lot of SoCal punk is like that, where its not as serious. They have two of my favorite tracks in 'Bob' and 'Olympia, WA', though, so I had to add them.

In reality, punk is such a large genre. I mean, you can make arguements for bands like No Doubt and Sublime being punk, and not really be wrong. The Misfits are totally dissimilar to The Ramones, but they're both 'punk', you know?

Olympia, WA is a Rancid song, the NOFX version is a cover they did for the NOFX/Rancid split EP. Which was all kinds of awesome.

And I love me some punk rock. For a list of favorites see the Fat Wreck roster of bands from about 1998ish, plus some other obviously.

As an aside: for some good UK Ska-Core, check out Freefall Felix at http://www.myspace.com/freefallfelix, talented bunch of lads who put on blinding live show. Well worth checking out if they ever play anywhere near you.

Edited by Laid_To_Waste

And I love me some punk rock. For a list of favorites see the Fat Wreck roster of bands from about 1998ish, plus some other obviously.

Oh man, the Fat roster used to be so fucking good. It's had a few rough years, but it's really looking good these days; Strung Out, Propagandhi, Strike Anywhere, Lagwagon, Only Crime, Loved Ones, Smoke Or Fire, Dillinger Four, Mad Caddies etc.

That being said, the new bands they're signing up are a bit shite for the most part.

Olympia, WA is a Rancid song, the NOFX version is a cover they did for the NOFX/Rancid split EP. Which was all kinds of awesome.

As an aside: for some good UK Ska-Core, check out Freefall Felix at http://www.myspace.com/freefallfelix, talented bunch of lads who put on blinding live show. Well worth checking out if they ever play anywhere near you.

The NoFX version is SO much better.

Offspring were good... about 10 years ago. They haven't had anything interesting in a loooooong fucking time.

Okay, let's knock some shit the fuck out.

It's been an epic year for punk-rock for me. Not so much in the sense of albums released, but there's a hell of a lot of great live shows and tours, which with my 'year of gigs' I've decided to catch.

I caught A Wilhelm Scream here at the beginning of the year. Definately one of the hottest acts in punk at the minute, and hands down the best 'tech-punk' band out there ('Tech-Punk' = Protest The Hero, Whippersnapper, Scallywagon, BeerBong, Forus etc...don't worry, I think it's a silly name too...but I do kind of like it :shifty:) as they have a perfect blend of melody and kick arse guitar parts. Also, I've heard complaints about Nuno's vocals live, but both times I've seen them, he's been spot on. I made him laugh. :shifty:

So, still on AWS. They tour here again in August, even though they were only just here in January. They apparently want to put another record out before the year's end, so it really wouldn't surprise me if 1/2 new songs cropped up in their setlist, like "5 To 9" did during their 2007 UK tour. I wonder what the situation will be though, as I've heard Nitro Records (where they're signed) are canny fucked as a label, which has led to No Trigger going on hiatus (:(). So I wonder what AWS will do. They're a much bigger band than No Trigger to be fair. But yeah, UK tour in August. I would hit up the London date, but it's the day before Leeds Festival so it's impossible for me to get back up here to go to Leeds. So, that's shit. I might be hitting up the Brighton show, but it;s a bit of a longshot, as I'd have to secure a lift...but IT'S ON A BOAT!!! DBS girl is trying to sort us a lift down. She's a sweety...actually, she's fucking nuts, but still.

Speaking of Death By Stereo they're in the studio doing a new album, and have been for quite some while. Although there's been fuck all said about it, besides a new song (that sounds killer) played live. They are over here this week playing a few dates, most notably July 17th in London with H20. Now that's one hell of a show, and I really wish I could go, but it clashed with Death Cab For Cutie/Styrofoam, which is also happening in London. To be honest, if support for DCFC had been basically anyone other than Styrofoam, I'd be going to DBS/H20. H20 put out an album this year. The first in 8-years. Lots of people are shitting on it because it's 10-tracks. Yeah, it's short. But it's catchy as hell. Total "the scene used to be so much better" shit, but whatever. It's still catchy as hell.

Strung Out are hooking up the UK in October. I'm looking to hit up 3-dates. Kingston, London and Newcastle. They change their sets about enough to make it worthwhile IMO. Even if they don't, I've waited so long to see them, I'm making the most of it. Honestly, if I knew how cheap it was to travel across country, I'd have been catching their gigs for the past 5 years. World on the grapevine is the support could well be an American band. In that case, I've got a hunch it could well be Pour Habit. No reason for the hunch besides wishful thinking. Pour Habit are a really amazing band. Black guys can be all punk too. :shifty:

New Found Glory are coming again in November. They're a band I've actually never seen live, despite touring hear so fucking much. The support is great with Four Year Strong and Crime In Stereo. All Time Low (I think...or it could be You Meat Six..or the other one with a shitty name like them...Set Your Goals, that's the one) are supporting too. "Coming Home" was so shitty, but the EP they put out this year was insane. Was only 3-original tunes, but they were absolutely killer. I hope for a direction like that for the album, but seeing as they're working with Mark Hoppus, I really doubt it will. :( Four Year Strong are absolutely insane. I caught them at Give It A Name and they really stole the show. I was going to the 'sideshow' GIAN tour thing, but I couldn't make it in the end, so I missed them. FYS in Academy 2 would have been absolutely insane. I've also missed CIS this year, deciding to go on a treck to see The New Amsterdams instead.

Speaking of Give It A Name, I finally caught Strike Anywhere there and they were face meltingly awesome. They announced they'd tour around here in September, but since then nothing has been said. I'm sitting waiting a tour they. Absolutely amazing band, great fire and passion live, and in a small venue would be absolutely batshit insane.

Speaking of September, Paint It Black are going to be tearing this shit down. One of the premier hardcore bands in the world right now. I fucking LOVE Dan Yemin, he's been great on guitar and bass in countless amazing punk outfits; Lifetime, Armalite, Kid Dynamite etc. So it's great to see that he's an amazing frontman as well. Will be catching them in Kingston, should be an insane show.

Rancid are here towards the end of the year, will be checking out their show. I'm not MASSIVE on Rancid, but they've got some killer tunes. "Timebomb" which was mentioned earlier in the thread is one of my favourite club songs, so awesome to dance like a total prick too.

Pennywise put out a totally killer album this year. The last 2/3 were really bad, but this is amazing stuff. One of the few bands I DEFINATELY must catch at Leeds Festival.

...fuck, I could go on for HOURS...and HOURS...and HOURS! Instead...in my 'year of live music'...here's a short run down of who I've seen so far...

SEEN THIS YEAR

A WILHELM SCREAM (2)

A WILHELM SCREAM (2) - Absolutely insane! So tight live. Vocals were spot on. Atmosphere was amazing, looked to be having so much fun. One of my favourite live acts.

FAILSAFE - A bit shite...and the bassist stole my standing place (leaning against a wall) when I went to the bar during All Idols Fall.

ALL IDOLS FALL - Really great. People weren't really that much into it physically, but most people really enjoyed them. Their EP is great too.

GIVE IT A NAME FESTIVAL: DAY 1

PARAMORE - So much more fun than they had every right to be. And Hayley Williams bouncing around stage. :wub:

PLAIN WHITE T's - To quote Harry Enfield...I have 2 words for that..."Shite"...what's the other one?..."SHITE!"

ALKALINE TRIO (2) - Best band of the day, even if the new album is a pile of wank.

FINCH - Finch being back together is awesome. much like Alk3, I wish their set had been longer. "What It Is To Burn" live is epic!

ALL TIME LOW/SET YOUR GOALS - Can't remember who was who. :shifty:

MC LARS (w/FAILSAFE) - Was pretty good, never got around to checking him out though. Was fun in a live setting though. The Failsafe singer just standing about a lot, not sure what to do was great.

CHIODOS - A bit of a Coheed vibe, wasn't a fan.

MAYDAY PARADE - Wank.

GIVE IT A NAME FESTIVAL: DAY 2

BILLY TALENT - I was off my tits, but fucking AMAZING!

GLASSJAW - Really bloody good too. I'm not huge on them like lots of people are, but they're a good band and the new material sounds good.

ANTI-FLAG - Not a fan, but were pretty fun live. Only knew "Turncoat" though.

SILVERSTEIN - one of my favourite 'emo' bands. 3rd album wasn't great. But did a fair bit of "Discovering The Waterfront" stuff, so I really liked them.

ARMOR FOR SLEEP - Were okay, I guess.

THE BLACKOUT - Awful. They do get props for having a fanbase of 14 year old girls, and having a song called "Spread Legs Not Lies".

STRIKE ANYWHERE - WHOOOO!!! Best band of the weekend. I don't think my voice has ever been the same since "Prisoner Echoes"!

ENVY ON THE COAST - Meh. Alright.

THE COLOR FRED - Ex-Taking Back Sunday. Dull as fuck.

FOUR YEAR STRONG - EPIC! EPIC! EPIC! Only 20-minutes though. :(

SONIC BOOM SIX/BIG D & THE KIDS TABLE ('Double Headline' bollocks)

SONIC BOOM SIX - The singer is so sexy in person. She's just a bundle of fun, and dances like an absolute prick, so adorable. A fun blend of ska, punk and hip-hop.

BIG D & THE KIDS TABLE - Fucking great. Was mostly just stuff from "Strictly Rude" with some covers. But they did bust out "LAX", brilliant tune. I don't think there's a tune with that many F-Bombs in it.

RANDOM HAND - Again a ska-punk kind of act. They were alright. Basically going to have a career as the 'support act for ska bands when they tour the UK' though. As unlike SB6, I don't see them growing from that.

IGNITE

IGNITE - Finally got around to seeing them. Best album of 2006...bloody amazing live. Got more than a little preachy, but I was expecting it. Didn't derail my enjoyment. Coming back next year, I can't wait. Zoli is a killer vocalist, and a massive fuck too.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOUR - UK based (if I remember rightly) hardcore band. They were alright, but not a band I have much interest in checking out.

BURNTHE8TRACK - A lot more melodic and slower than I was expecting. As the name is a few "x" either side of being the most stereotypical straight-edge hardcore band name ever. I really liked them though. Will probably get the album when I remember.

1000 HERTZ - UK hardcore band. I missed them. They sound a bit shit on myspace.

ME VS HERO

ME VS HERO - Brilliant UK melodic hardcore/powerpop/pop-punk styled band. Lots in common with the likes of Four Year Strong, (early) Fall Out Boy, Fight Fair etc. Fun show, their EP shows a lot of promise as well.

MIDTERM BREAK - A bunch of Maccums with 'haircuts' playing shitty, sloppy pop-punk. Eugh. Not a fan.

ASTRO CHIMP - Another local band. Screeching Weasel styled pop-punk. Definately promise here. But weren't that great. But promise.

MISLED ICONS - Were actually pretty great, especially for a local bands, given the artists above them on the bill. Much more of a 'street-punk' style vibe. Definate feeling of Rancid, Screeching Weasel etc.

UPCOMING SHOWS

RENTOKILL

RENTOKILL - Real good punk-rock band from Austria, fairly politically charged. Killer tunes, intimate venue. Should be great. Although, I honestly have no idea what turnout is going to be like. "Step Over The Wall" was one of my favourite tunes of last year.

BLACK WOLVES - Local hardcore band. Listening to their myspace now. Should be pretty great live.

PURE GRAFT - Another local band. Not as good. But the fact they have a logo that says "PG Riffs" in the style of the tea logo is brilliant. :shifty:

CAREER SUICIDE

CAREER SUICIDE - Proper swank Canadian punk-rock band with a big cult following. Last years "Attempted Suicide" was an insanely good release.

GEOFFREY OI!COTT - Old school styled punk from Leeds. Sound awesome. Love the name. Song names are brilliant too. I'm upset I haven't heard of them before, I think I love them!

PURE GRAFT (2) - Again.

RIP IT UP - Local hardcore band. Thrash influences, a bit nuts. Not sure what to think.

SICK HUMOUR - Another local band, bit of a grunge like feel from their myspace.

CxRxP - Local band...judging by their myspace 'tune'...they sound like AIDS.

......it starts at 6...I have a feeling I wont be showing up until later. :shifty:

A WILHELM SCREAM (3)

A WILHELM SCREAM (3) - Not sure if I can make this show, trying to arrange a lift. But it's ON A FUCKING BOAT!!!! I HAVE TO GO!! Not sure on the supports, definately going to be local acts. But Bristol has a good punk scene, so should be good.

LEEDS FESTIVAL (2)

4 years since I last hooked up Leeds Festival...hopefully, unlike that time...I actually remember what the fuck happened every other day than Sunday!

PENNYWISE (2) - must see!

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM - MUST SEE!!!

...will probably check out other stuff; The Loved Ones, H20, The Briggs, Hi-Fi Handgrenades, Alexisonfire etc...depending on times.

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM (2)

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM (2) - 2-days after catching them at Leeds. :D No word on support, it'll either be UK bands, or I could see someone like The Briggs doing it...I'm holding out for The Loved Ones, but it's a long shot.

PAINT IT BLACK

PAINT IT BLACK - WOOHOOO!!! Dan Yemin is God! Should be fucking brutal.

TRASH TALK - Speaking of brutal. Now this will be fucking brutal. Insane thrash/hardcore band from California. It will be an experience, even if it's not my sort of thing.

BLOOD RED SHOES (2?)

BLOOD RED SHOES (2?) - Been loved up by the indie crowd, but like Be Your Own Pet before them, they're fundamentally a punk-rock/garage rock inspired band. Missed them last time they here, so I'm chuffed they're playing Academy 2 again so soon. A band that's perfect for a smaller venue, would be awful in Academy 1. I just want to touch her. :pervert: Might catch them at Leeds, depends what's on/how I'm feeling.

1984 - Old school, kind of Clash sounding band from France. Seem to tour with Blood Red shoes a fair bit. Should be okay.

STRUNG OUT (1, 2 & 3?)

STRUNG OUT - My favourite band ever. Never actually seen them before though (not knowing anyone who likes them/no gigs near me etc.). But fuck it. I'm hitting up this shit up...hard! The local show is £7, wont be hard to convince people to go. Then off on my travels to catch another show, maybe another 2. See what I feel like when it's closer. No word on supports.

RANCID

RANCID - As I said before, not hugely into them, but it's RANCID! And there's a local show, so it's worth going. Should be a drunken laugh, whatever happens. I've seen no word on supports.

LESS THAN JAKE (2)

LESS THAN JAKE (2) - New album is great. One of those bands that are insanely fun live, no matter what. Should be a great show despite poor supports.

BEAT UNION - Wank UK band. Catchy enough, but annoying as fuck at the same time. If hammered (which I will be), might be okay to dance like a prick to.

PEPPER - Never heard of them before...they're a reggae band from Hawaii...hahahahahaaha...Newcaslte are gonna shit on them. £20 they get booed and shit thrown at them"

NEW FOUND GLORY

NEW FOUND GLORY - Will be awesome. There's a fuckload of my mates all going, 'school days throwback' kind of shit. All day drink, FYS will have me fired up, will be awesome sing-alongs.

SET YOUR GOALS (2) - Meh. I didn't particuarly enjoy them last time I saw them, and I was hammered then too.

FOUR YEAR STRONG (2) - WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! YEAH!!! START THE TAKEOVER!!!!!

CRIME IN STEREO - I wasn't huge on the last record, but a good band who I am more than happy about seeing live.

STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO

STREETLIGHT MANIFESTO - The best ska band in the world, no doubt about it. Missed them supporting RBF earlier in the year, so happy to finally catch them.

RANDOM HAND (2) - Should be alright again.

DAN POTTHAST - Singer from ska band MU330. He does MU330 songs as well as solo stuff live, so should be good.

Curse you DMN...you do realise I will just spend my life in here now. :shifty:

Edited by YI

I've seen a shit load of punk bands in my time, and none have put on a better show than Less Than Jake. I saw them for the second time on my 18th birthday, they signed my CD at a signing before the gig, and I shared a bong with Roger after the signing. Cool guys, they offered to get me up on stage at the gig later that evening.

Unfortunately I'd drank like 6 litres of cider and smoked an 8th of weed by then, so spent most of the gig being sick on my brothers girlfriends shoes.

Still, good times!