The Punk RAWK Thread!

DMN in the House

I don't really see the strict uniformity in the hardcore scene, depends on which scene or era you're referring to specifically. It seemed that yeah, the music followed a pretty simple formula of playing the music hard and fast (as with any genre sticking to a formula), but there was definitely variety thrown in from region to region. It was also the least pretentious of any the punk scenes in regards to fashion, there was none of the silly chains and bristles of the UK 82 style nor did it attract the skinhead uniform as much as Oi (and skinhead's do follow a strict dress code). It seemed that any kid could just show up and didn't have to look like he was dressed for the freak show army.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The obvious have been listed. Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Rancid, Misfits, The Clash etc..

Some of my favorites I have not seen listed.

Iggy Pop

The Stooges

Dead MilkMen

Black Flag

Agent Orange

Violent Femmes

Social Distortion

Bikini Kill

Buzzcocks

X

Circle Jerks

The Cramps

Suicidal Tendencies

Gogo Bordello (gypsy punk)

Husker Du

The Meat Puppets

Patti Smith

Plasmatics

Minor Threat

And Floggying Molly has been widely excepted as celtic punk, just as much as Dropkick Murphys and the Pogues.

Newer bands I like

Anti Flag

Bad Religion

The Casualties

And the Ska Punk Bands

Reel Big Fish

Less than Jake

Edited by Synjynpsychobitch

Bikini Kill, Black Flag, The Clash, Dead Kennedys, The Hives, Limp Wrist, Refused & The Thermals are probably my favorite punk bands. I've always had a soft spot for punk in my heart, but lately I've gotten bored of the genre. A lot of the bands were, in my eyes, really average and boring (like the Ramones) or just lacked any songs that you could listen to again and again. I can still throw on the Dead Kennedy's "Fresh Fruit" or the Thermals "The Body, The Blood, The Machine" and listen to every single track. The Ramones and the Sex Pistols... not so much. The Sex Pistols had one good CD and the Ramones had a handful of good songs and a whole slew of LPs full of average and uninteresting songs.

Edited by PunkRockPete