Official Premiership 2008/09 thread

Lineker

City spent 45 mins getting 30-40 yards from Man Utds box. Only to pass it wide, back, or give it away. There players keep falling over, unless something drastic happens to them, they have no will to put up a fight here. Because they can't stop themselves from being complacent and keep taking too long to build attacks. Anytime they have had a chance to attack, they slow down, United get defenses up. Or lose the ball, or foul someone.

Utd. have had nothing to challenge them.

Very good performance. Little sloppy at times in the second half but Vidic is back to being a complete rock. Not sure Ronaldo needed to act the way he did when getting taken off, although I've always understood people being frustrated by being substituted, but at this level you just shouldn't be reacting like that.

Hoping for a win on Wednesday and feeling if we get that, it's all over.

Don't you guys lie, Man Utd played brilliantly to make City give the ball away so many times under no pressure.

Listen, stop being a dick. I didn't say we played outstanding or anything, but we played well and stopped City from really getting into the game in the second half. City weren't great, but fuck off with your sarcasm and constant bickering towards anything regarding United.

It's a procession for Man Utd now. Having seen Steve Bruce's interview on MOTD last night he's all but forfeited the game. Arsenal aren't going to beat them at Old Trafford and the Hull game won't matter.

Oh well. We've pushed "the best squad" Alex Ferguson has ever had all the way to the end of the season and lost out by a handful of points. And he knows it.

Don't you guys lie, Man Utd played brilliantly to make City give the ball away so many times under no pressure.

Listen, stop being a dick. I didn't say we played outstanding or anything, but we played well and stopped City from really getting into the game in the second half. City weren't great, but fuck off with your sarcasm and constant bickering towards anything regarding United.

But you didn't play well. You didn't play badly, but you didn't play well. City were shit for all but 10 minutes of that game

It's a procession for Man Utd now. Having seen Steve Bruce's interview on MOTD last night he's all but forfeited the game. Arsenal aren't going to beat them at Old Trafford and the Hull game won't matter.

Oh well. We've pushed "the best squad" Alex Ferguson has ever had all the way to the end of the season and lost out by a handful of points. And he knows it.

Cant remember the table position but aren't Wigan near that 7th spot? I honestly cant remember, if so though, surely they'll still push for it. I see what you're saying, but Bruce isn't going to just let Wigan lose.

Liverpool have pushed greatly this season, no doubt about it. I may dislike them, but it's been damn close at times and if it hadn't of been for that Villa comeback game, things may be very differently right now. I think next season will be even closer than this one, because Liverpool have really found their stride this season and if they can add a player or two in the market, it'll be one hell of a battle next season.

Cant remember the table position but aren't Wigan near that 7th spot? I honestly cant remember, if so though, surely they'll still push for it. I see what you're saying, but Bruce isn't going to just let Wigan lose.

He was asked if he's disappointed with his side seemingly giving up now that they're safe, and what he can do to change the mentality around. He said he's tried everything and doesn't know what else to do. They might as well go on holiday now.

Well unless we get a Fulhamesque occurrence and Arsenal put up some kind of fight. It goes to them. I don't expect it.

Wigan were 7th five games back. Now they're on 42 points in tenth. Fulham are on 50 points in seventh and Spurs and West Ham 48. Man City are 9th on 47.

So Wigan aren't finishing seventh now. They gave up once they were safe....Like oldschool Charlton.

Edited by SexyHamster

I'm sick of saying it, but theres always next season. I've never seen a Liverpool side push for the title so hard and not be out of it by January. If we hadn't drawn so many games at Home we'd be in the driving seat right now. Draws with Stoke and West Ham killed us, and we shouldn't have lost away to Middlesborough. The enocuraging thing is, we've not had Torres and/or Gerrard for big chunks of the season, proving that we can be more than a two man team.

A couple of good signings in the summer, we need another centre back, a decent right winger with pace and a few more squad players, definatly cover at right back. Hopefully Next year we can push even harder and win it!

I'd rather we didn't sign a new centre back, especially when there are far more important positions to fill. Besides, I think in an emergency San Jose could fill in for a handful of games, he's looked very comfortable in the reserves this season and looks promising. I like the players we're being linked with though - Silva, Lavezzi, Sneijder. All of them could play in any of the three positions behind Torres, and they all offer what we've been missing this season against teams that park the bus.

Ideally, I'd like us to sign:

Glen Johnson

Silva/Lavezzi etc.

Someone like Gudjohnson as backup for Torres

Unfortunately I can see us spending the summer chasing after Barry again.

I said Gudjohnsen to my Liverpool supporting mate the other day, I hope Liverpool don't get Tevez as I don't think he'd be particularly effective.

Liverpool need: A right back, a backup striker, a right winger, 1-2 squad players.

Liverpool could do with but don't need as a matter of urgency: A left back, a centre back.

And to be honest, they might not even need 1-2 squad players if they bring in the right sided players and a striker, but I'd expect a couple of players to leave.

I think it's too early to start predicting next season as there are so many variables. United have the strongest squad by far but Liverpool aren't far off now. It'll be interesting to see who the new manager at Chelsea will be because I think that will have a big impact on how they do. Hiddink's Chelsea have been leagues above Scolari's. Also it will be interesting to see what Spurs and Villa can offer next year. Under Harry Spurs have looked very impressive. And of course the big story of the summer will revolve around Man City. Rumours of Alonso and Tevez already starting and those two players alone will give them the drive and hunger they seem to be missing. I expect to see a complete rehaul of that squad and their defence will be shored up for sure. I expect Arsenal to be the BIG losers next year seeing as Wenger doesn't seem to want to buy players!

I'd rather we didn't sign a new centre back, especially when there are far more important positions to fill. Besides, I think in an emergency San Jose could fill in for a handful of games, he's looked very comfortable in the reserves this season and looks promising. I like the players we're being linked with though - Silva, Lavezzi, Sneijder. All of them could play in any of the three positions behind Torres, and they all offer what we've been missing this season against teams that park the bus.

Glen Johnson

Silva/Lavezzi etc.

I agree that San Jose could fill in, but id ratgher we spend 1-2 million on someone with a bit of experience (like Sami) who can allow the younger lads time to develop a little more, mabie get game time in the Carling and early rounds of the FA cup so that when they do need to step up, they'll have the required experience.

I think we'll end up getting Barry this summer. This time last year the prospect excited me, I was tired of Alonso, who for the 2 seasons before this one had been well off the pace. But with Xabi and Msch's performances this year, we don't need him. Lucas can fuck right off though.

Gudjohnson would be quality, but I very much doubt he'd leqave sitting on the bench at Barca to be sitting on the bench at us. We do need a back up striker, because I'm still not convinced Kyut or N'Gog are good enough. I know Kyut works, he's got a fantastic work rate, but he needs chances before he scores, and that's been our problem a lot of the time. We need a second striker as back up who'll take chances, like Fowler and Rush used to.

Glen Johnson

Silva/Lavezzi etc.

I think we'll end up getting Barry this summer. This time last year the prospect excited me, I was tired of Alonso, who for the 2 seasons before this one had been well off the pace. But with Xabi and Msch's performances this year, we don't need him. Lucas can fuck right off though.

:rolleyes: