Terminator

Benji

Bale Signed for All Three Terminator Films

Source: BBC News

Christian Bale is to play rebel leader John Connor in three sequels to the "Terminator" franchise, starting with Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, according to BBC News:

The Welsh-born star, who is soon to be seen in Batman Begins sequel The Dark Knight, has already started shooting the first of those films, Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins.

"He's really an actor's actor, so we're very proud," said Victor Kubicek of film company Halcyon.

"Christian was our first choice and he's a big fan of The Terminator, so we're very lucky," Kubicek told the BBC at the Cannes Film Festival.

"But with Batman he's already done the whole franchise thing, so we weren't sure he'd respond."

Luckily, said Kubicek's business partner Derek Anderson, "he read the script and he loved it, so he's signed on for all three."

The first new installment, co-starring Sam Worthington, Anton Yelchin and Moon Bloodgood, centers on John Connor, now in his 30s, who leads what is left of the human race in a battle against the machines. Directed by McG, Warner Bros. will release the film on May 22, 2009.

Nice to not only have confirmation on Bale in all three, but to have all three properly confirmed, I was apprehensive when I heard about the other two sequels in "this trilogy" not having John Connor, so even more good news :)

An Arnold cameo, with Bale sending him into the past to protect his past self, would make me so happy. Just 5 minutes. That's all it needs.

I'm not sure about Bale doing this though. I know he can do it, but with at least one more Batman film, I have to wonder how long he's going to be able to hold up with the schedule he's given himself.

I don't think you need that, Arnie's Terminator was based off of the man who made him, why not just do a brief scene in the lab where he creates himself? No spoken words (barring perhaps him showing off the model to people), just a simple 20-30 second cameo.

I like Bale and I like the Terminator series but I ain't sure about this. "McG" is directing these films for a start and secondly after Batman I kind of hoped Bale would go the serious "Act-or" route because he's one of the best of his generation and another franchise could damage his reputation.

EDIT: If Arnie makes a cameo I hope it'll be something similiar (I use the word loosely) to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYy0H1wuMYA

Edited by brenchill

Moon Bloodgood is a fairly ordinary actress, if her Journeyman work is anything to go on. Easy on the eye, but bleh. Still, excited to see we'll be seeing more of the series - even if it's likely it'll just be like the Matrix sequels (lots of battles, epic feel, and undoubtedly disappointing when compared to the original, more suspensful film(s) in the series)

I like Bale and I like the Terminator series but I ain't sure about this. "McG" is directing these films for a start and secondly after Batman I kind of hoped Bale would go the serious "Act-or" route because he's one of the best of his generation and another franchise could damage his reputation

He had a part in The New World (not that great of a movie admittedly), then did Rescue Dawn, The Prestige and 3:10 to Yuma along with his part in I'm Not There between the two Batman movies (in which, at least going by just the first he does a fantastic acting job). All pretty serious actor roles. And he has Public Enemies and Killing Pablo coming up.

He can do big budget franchise stuff just as well as acting heavy "serious" roles. With all considered that's the best route for his career if he can do it as it allows him personal variety in what he takes on and he won't be pigeon-holed into any particular style or type of movie. Something that happens to actors of all varieties way too often.

As for the three Terminator movies... eh. I have interest because of Bale but I don't expect much. They were Cameron's vision and that ended with 2. 3 was a decent enough popcorn flick but should not have been made. And continuing them is pretty pointless (from a storyline perspective). But I'm sure they'll be action heavy with lots of booms and nice CGI.

I'll admit, when I first learned that Christian Bale would be the next Batman, I was very disappointed. I didn't believe he could pull it off. However I will admit that I was completely wrong. Not only did I love his portrail, but his character is EASILY my favorite Batman to date. So needless to say, I am very interested to see Bale, and this spin on the Terminator pre-quel? (Could you call it that considering the time line?). .. even though admittingly, I am not a huge Terminator fan in the first place. This algo goes in line with the hollywood trend of not only trillogies (thanks alot fucking Lord of the Rings), but pre-equels, instead of sequels.

.... however what ever happened to the rumors that the Rock was going to take over Arnie's role of Terminator. Could Rock posisbly play one of the terminators in this movie series? Or has this rumor been shot down/disprove to be false?

Edited by MikelSweeten

I'll admit, when I first learned that Christian Bale would be the next Batman, I was very disappointed. I didn't believe he could pull it off. However I will admit that I was completely wrong. Not only did I love his portrail, but his character is EASILY my favorite Batman to date. So needless to say, I am very interested to see Bale, and this spin on the Terminator pre-quel? (Could you call it that considering the time line?). .. even though admittingly, I am not a huge Terminator fan in the first place. This algo goes in line with the hollywood trend of not only trillogies (thanks alot fucking Lord of the Rings), but pre-equels, instead of sequels.

.... however what ever happened to the rumors that the Rock was going to take over Arnie's role of Terminator. Could Rock posisbly play one of the terminators in this movie series? Or has this rumor been shot down/disprove to be false?

The thing is, The Rock looks nothing like Arnie. At least Christian Bale could kinda look like a scrawny version of Arnie? I guess? I dunno, I'm trying to some substance behind Bale and Arnie, but I can't.

I'm guessing there isn't going to be a "Terminator" as such in this series seeing as it's going to be a war between Skynet and the human resistence lead by Connor. Shouldn't Reese be in this somewhere seeing as he was sent back to protect the young John Connor? Urgh it's so confusing now it's gone full circle.

I'm guessing there isn't going to be a "Terminator" as such in this series seeing as it's going to be a war between Skynet and the human resistence lead by Connor. Shouldn't Reese be in this somewhere seeing as he was sent back to protect the young John Connor? Urgh it's so confusing now it's gone full circle.

Wouldn't Skynet employ the use of the Machines though? So, essentially, we'd have the Human Resistance, and possibly a couple of "good' robots... against an army of Terminators.

I don't see where the "good robots" would come from. At the end of T3 it's just Connor and Katherine in a bunker trying to get in touch with any other human survivors. The "good robot" (Arnie in T2/3) only came about when at a later date the resistence captured one of the robots and reprogrammed it to protect the young John Connor.

I don't see where the "good robots" would come from. At the end of T3 it's just Connor and Katherine in a bunker trying to get in touch with any other human survivors. The "good robot" (Arnie in T2/3) only came about when at a later date the resistence captured one of the robots and reprogrammed it to protect the young John Connor.

I was talking about the whole new trilogy. The human resistance will eventually have at least one of the machines. Logic says that it's an almost impossible fight without more.

The first of the three might not involve the machines at all, aside from a bit of discussion or maybe a few glimpses.

From AICN:

Warners has issued a start-of-production press release for McG's TERMINATOR film. It brings us an officially sanctioned (but odd) plot synopsis for the film. I'm assuming (although it may be foolish to do so) the movie itself will make more sense than the press release.

Here's what the release had to say:

MODERATE SPOILERS BELOW!

In the highly anticipated new installment of The Terminator film franchise, set in post-apocalyptic 2018, Christian Bale stars as John Connor, the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators. But the future Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

"But the future Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part?"

"Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past."

Shrugs.

The release also says that Charlotte Gainsbourg will play Kate Connor....

Presumably this is the Kate Brewster character, now married to John. The role was originated by Claire Danes in TERMINATOR 3.