UEFA Champions League 08/09

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John O'Gay EDIT: Ellis :wub:

I don't know if he actually is, but there was always that massive rumour that he was. Not sure if anything came of that, as I believe Justin Fashanu was the only open gay in football - and he certainly ain't doing much these days.

Edited by IAceI

Justin Fashanu was the only open gay in football - and he certainly ain't doing much these days.

Hanging around mostly.

Also, I don't understand why Inter have a brick-shit-house-built black guy taking set pieces. The guy's 6'2, get in the box and shit 'em up, son.

Edited by Turbo Yannis

No, footballers just mocked him because he was posh and liked reading in the changing room or something. He's married, I think.

I also heard that the O'Shea rumour was false, but I dunno. Wasn't he going out with some ludicrously hot woman for a while?

The World Club Championship's been won by three Brazilian teams, AC Milan and Man United. None of them slouches.

LCU de Quito were the finalists, who are some pretty unremarkable Ecuadorian team I do believe. I'm not sure how big the Copa Libertadores is South America but surely teams like River Plate, Boca Juniors, Sao Paulo, Internacional etc. are much better teams and would be more challenging in the CWC. So I wonder if their continental trophy is as important as the CL is to Europe?

EDIT: Amended a slight error.

EDIT 2: Then again Boca, Sao Paulo and Internacional have all made finals. And Porto once beat Monaco in the CL final which is possibly the equivalent of Quito winning the Copa Libertadores last year perhaps. So I'm kinda finding flaws in my own statement.

Edited by IAceI

Quito won the Libertadores, not the CWC, which is what Matt was commenting on. The winners of the CWC are Corinthians, Sao Paulo, Internacional, Milan and Man United. Barcelona, Liverpool and Boca are teams that have lost this competition, there's nothing to do with 'some Japanese team' there.

I think I remember reading that Quito is owned by some immensely rich family/company who invested heavily in players for the one calendar year, which is easier to do in South America where the player and coach turnover is much higher. Regardless of which, it's like saying the CL is meaningless because Porto vs. Monaco was the final 5 years ago or the European Championships is worthless because Greece won it. Yeah, they were an upset winner, but that doesn't mean the competition is a joke.

Why can't Cristiano Ronaldo just die? ANSWER ME THAT?

^^

That man speaks the truth.

I am pleased that Ronaldo's tracked back more then usual today, but I'd still take off Berbatov for Tevez..I fancy Tevez to get a goal after the hat trick against Fulham.

The Club World Championship is awesome, it lets you have the "World Champions"monicker plus it means you won the Champions League ^_^

Edited by The Future

Quito won the Libertadores, not the CWC, which is what Matt was commenting on. The winners of the CWC are Corinthians, Sao Paulo, Internacional, Milan and Man United. Barcelona, Liverpool and Boca are teams that have lost this competition, there's nothing to do with 'some Japanese team' there.

I think I remember reading that Quito is owned by some immensely rich family/company who invested heavily in players for the one calendar year, which is easier to do in South America where the player and coach turnover is much higher. Regardless of which, it's like saying the CL is meaningless because Porto vs. Monaco was the final 5 years ago or the European Championships is worthless because Greece won it. Yeah, they were an upset winner, but that doesn't mean the competition is a joke.

Why can't Cristiano Ronaldo just die? ANSWER ME THAT?

To be fair, I said "some Japanese team" without even bothering to research who'd won it because my point wasn't who had won it, my point was that before United won it, the tournament never meant jack shit, United win it and suddenly it's a major trophy.

I second the Ronaldo dying thing though :shifty: