UEFA Champions League 08/09

The referee was fine outside of not booking Puyol for diving nine times.

And I hated Barca before the game and have done for close to a year now. They were better than us tonight, the result shows that. I just hate them for all the hype they get. Despite out performing us, I'm still not convinced they're half as great as the world is making them out to be. They're great, not mind blowing like we're hearing. Iniesta was amazing and stole the show, without him it would of been a different game. I guess I can only hope for next year to hurry up and the crown is moved on, maybe I'm just bitter though.

We didn't look like we gave a shit though. Ronaldo and VDS were the only ones who seemed to show any passion. Ferdinand was to fault for both goals (or was it Vidic for the first?) and Carrick was almost laughable. I cant use any excuses, but I really wish we had Fletcher available tonight, because we really lacked in the middle. Rooney had one of the worst games he's had all season as well, just didn't do what he usually does. And I'll struggle to stop looking back at that early Park chance, gutted about that. They're technically the best in Europe though even if I want to disagree. So well done to them. I enjoyed the game and thought it was a great showing, just a shame we couldn't push to a higher level and get to our best. There's always next year :(

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. That game really didn't live up to expectations. Sloppy play from both sides at times and very unlike Utd to just collapse like that. Normally you can count on them to have a better second half when they've gone in trailing.

Puyol should win an oscar for best acting.

The lack of closing down players had me shouting at the TV. Barca were always closing us down and the forwards were always putting pressure on our back line and keeper when they were passing the ball between them, but United weren't doing any of that, Tevez did it when he came on a couple of times and Ronaldo a couple, but they really needed to keep the pressure on. When the forwards and midfielders were putting pressure on the United players barely went for the tackle, just either let them pass through or get a pass away.

We were dominated in the middle, Carrick, Anderson, Park had poor games. On the other hand Iniesta and Xavi were the best players on the pitch.

Ronaldo had a fairly good performance and showed more determination than the rest, but most of the others had a complete lack of that.

I really really really really really, dislike Dimitar Berbatov. Waste of money, and he's lazy. We could've got someone amazing for that price. <_<

The defence were definately not showing that they are the best in Europe, possible the world tonight.

Park Ji Sung turned into Jackie Chan for a moment when he went lunging over Valdez. He played about as good as him too.

At least Barcelona are my second favourite team, so it doesn't bother me as much as if it were Chelsea against us.

v_v

Edited by Fudge

Being a United I'm obvious pissed about the final result but more about the performance. If United had played well and lost to a great team like Barca I'd be OK but they were not that good tonight United were just bad. 1st 8mins played well then a goal argueably against the run of play scored and it changed. Carrick and Anderson's heads went and Park is just not World Class (despite energy and effort). Rooney and Ronaldo had poor service but by the end Rooney (United best and most consistent player) was poor.

Tonight showed the United 2008/09 team is a few years and players short of undisputed best in the world. Hargreaves back and Benzema could fix that. Anyhow 3rd Premier League title, Carling Cup winners, FA Cup Semi loser and Runners up in Champs League isn't the worse season.

I'd of rather of lost to Liverpool than to have lost to these.

:rolleyes:

Fair play to Barca. Every aspect of their game was better than ours overall and they deserved the win. Our midfield was outclassed, our defence was awful and our final ball was missing all game. Iniesta absolutely destroyed us. We definitely miss a Hargreaves-type player. It's been evident all season and hopefully if he gets himself fit, we can win back the trophy next year.

Barcelona were brilliant tonight, Iniesta is fast becoming my favourite player on earth, he ran the game again, he and Xavi are different class, as is Messi. The quality of these three showed every time they were on the ball, Iniesta and Messi's strength for their size was especially noteworthy.

Man Utd did not play well, but Carrick and Anderson especially were poor. Berbatov came on and was non-existent save for that poor header, I don't think Valdes will ever have an easier final in his life. Baraca deserve it, they play wonderful passing football, it's the best I've seen.

Ever since I got Sky Sports back the team that I wanted to win has done every time. That must mean Everton are due to win on Saturday :w00t:

I love watching players like Iniesta and Messi. The've always got the ball under control, even when they're running at full pace. Players like Ronaldo and Torres just knock it past the defender and chase after it, with Iniesta and Messi especially they can change direction at any second.

Does it matter? Nobody with any sense/decency calls them 'World Champions' anyway. That tag must surely be reserved only for Italy, the current holders of the WORLD Cup, not some club side that beat teams more than half of the Premiership could defeat given the chance.

I have to say that not one of those Man Utd players looked like they even cared tonight. It disappointed me somewhat, this is a European final after all, but it just didn't feel like they were up for it at all.

Does it matter? Nobody with any sense/decency calls them 'World Champions' anyway. That tag must surely be reserved only for Italy, the current holders of the WORLD Cup, not some club side that beat teams more than half of the Blue Square Premiership could defeat given the chance.

I have to say that not one of those Man Utd players looked like they even cared tonight. It disappointed me somewhat, this is a European final after all, but it just didn't feel like they were up for it at all.

Sorted.

Ronaldo look like he cared. You can tell when he cares, because he cries. He was the only one trying his best to attack and actually do something, but the midfield just wasn't anywhere near the form they should of been to give him good options. Outside of him and Van Der Sar though, I'd say you're about right. Even Rooney didn't look his usual self. We looked good until that crazy goal, then we just seemed to sink like we did against Liverpool.

Matt :lol:

And yeah, I'll give it to Ronaldo, he did play with passion tonight, too bad it looks like being his last game for the club. I know he said 'I'm staying. I hope.' before the game, but I can really see him flying off to Madrid this summer.

Guest Ringmaster
No offence to either team, but this final has been one of the most boring cup finals I've ever watched. Same with the UEFA Cup final. I think the pressure is showing with the performances.

It was still no Milan/Liverpool in 07. That was, by far, one of the worst matches I have ever seen. Plus some of the tactical goofs are way worse than Fergie's today.