NCAA Footbal 09 Season Thread

HailtotheYo

Uh, Florida don't got shit on West Texas or Abilene Christian ... :shifty: check this shit out ... yes it's real, it was today's Division 2 playoff game ...

Wildcats down Buffales in record-setting fashion, 93-68

ABILENE, Texas - No. 2-ranked Abilene Christian University and No. 9-ranked West Texas A&M battled in the NCAA Division II Playoffs in record-setting fashion with the Wildcats defeating the Buffaloes 93-68 Saturday afternoon at Shotwell Stadium. The Wildcats scored an NCAA Playoff Record 93 points and ACU running back Bernard Scott scored an NCAA Playoff Record seven touchdowns in the victory.

Scott finished with 19 carries, 292 yards and six touchdowns on the ground and added three receptions for 61 yards and a touchdown through the air to lead the Wildcats who broke NCAA and Lone Star Conference records with 810 yards of offense. Senior quarterback Billy Malone tossed for 383 yards and six touchdown with Johnny Knox as his favorite target. Knox caught five passes for 125 yards and a touchdown, but Scott was the story averaging 16 yards per touch.

It's not every day a team scored 68 points and loses, but the Buffaloes did fall despite incredible offensive numbers for WTAMU. The Buffaloes recorded 721 yards of offense highlighted by quarterback Keith Null and receiver Charly Martin. Null set LSC records with 595 passing yards and seven touchdowns while Martin caught 14 passes for 323 yards and five touchdowns.

WTAMU kept the score close trailing just 42-34 at half. However, ACU outscored the Buffaloes 51-34 in the second half and will move on to face Northwest Missouri State Saturday at Shotwell Stadium.

A friend of mine called me after his brother (an ACU student) called him and told him what had happened. His little brother said they could've put up 100 easily ... they pulled the starters with roughly 10 minutes left in the game.

Oregon St. better not play like that next week vs. Oregon

Hopefully Quizz's shoulder will be ok so they will be full strength because it is either they win and I don't have to watch USC on New Year's Day, or they lose and I refuse to watch the Rose Bowl unless Penn St goes up big early

Least the Beavs got the win. Defense had a pretty good game, obviously not having 'Quizz hurt the offense side. Still got the job done, though scary there in the 4th waiting till the very end to get on top.

OSU has beat Oregon the last two Civil Wars, hopefully a third. I can see this being a close contest, and this one is in Corvallis this year... home field is always good. But hey, went in Eugene last year and took the W. Anything can happen.

A friend of mine called me after his brother (an ACU student) called him and told him what had happened. His little brother said they could've put up 100 easily ... they pulled the starters with roughly 10 minutes left in the game.

WTAMU would've won if Ryan Leaf was still a coach there. :shifty:

I know the answer to this, but it's a question that needs to be asked anyway: why won't Boise St. be playing in a BCS game? They'll be top 8-9 in the country, undefeated. One slot behind Utah.

Gah, the system sucks.

You answered your own question, the system sucks. I'm looking at the current bowl projections like this (Note, I put the "likely" teams first and went down the least likely):

National Championship:

Alabama/Florida vs. Oklahoma/Texas/Texas Tech

Rose Bowl:

Penn State vs. Oregon State/USC

Orange Bowl:

ACC Champion vs. Cincinnati/West Virginia

Fiesta Bowl:

Oklahoma/Texas vs. USC/Ohio State

Sugar Bowl:

Utah vs. Alabama/Florida

Obviously, some of the spots have already been clinched or guaranteed (Orange Bowl is ACC vs. Big East). If Oregon State loses, then we'll see Ohio State get to play in the Fiesta since USC will head to Pasadena. Utah fits in playing in the Sugar Bowl against whoever loses the SEC Championship (barring Florida or Bama losing next weekend). If one of the Big 12 South teams lose, then things actually get a bit clearer I feel. A loss for Oklahoma puts TTU in the Big 12 Championship, a loss for Texas puts OU in the Big 12 Championship, and a loss for TTU puts Texas in the Big 12 Championship. There's still 2 more eventful weekends ahead, but we have a rather clear picture barring a huge upset.

Hypothetical...

If Oregon State loses (hopefully not), isn't Boise State ahead of Ohio State to take the Fiesta spot? The Big 10 would already have their Rose Bowl spot filled with Penn State.

Don't they get to pick their at-large team though? Anybody who wants to make money will take the Buckeyes over the Broncs any day of the week. As long as OSU qualifies for an at-large bid, they'll be playing in a BCS bowl.

Hypothetical...

If Oregon State loses (hopefully not), isn't Boise State ahead of Ohio State to take the Fiesta spot? The Big 10 would already have their Rose Bowl spot filled with Penn State.

Yes but they are going to pick Ohio State because or the name and the fanbase

the BCS would be hard pressed to NOT take a qualified Boise team and as long as they are 8th or better then they fit the bill. I'd love the BCS to explain that one. Essentially they're sitting 8th right now because no conference can have more than two teams and the Big 12 has three ahead of them. That and OSU is behind Boise in both the AP/USA Today polls.

As far as the whole fanbase/money/etc issues, Boise St's Fiesta Bowl showing begs to differ about who would be "better" in those terms.

What I think is crap, is fucking Florida vaulting to #2. Either Tx/Ok should be number two. UF's "quality wins" don't look so hot about now, especially the LSU win, although their Ole Miss loss looks better and better each week.

Still, the BCS is going to have a really hard time not including both Boise and Utah.

Ok, the new BCS standings are as follows:

'Bama

Texas

Oklahoma

Florida

USC

Utah

T Tech

Penn State

Boise St

Those are the only 9 spots that matter. Here's the deal. Boise ST is poised to make it into the magical top 8 for non BCS members but in actuality they already qualify. But look at the teams ranked ahead of them. Of the 8, SIX of them have at least one, and up to two more games left. Now, I'm not saying this is likely at all, but it is possible that these teams end up with two losses. USC had ND/UCLA left which aren't likely losses BUT it CAN happen. Tech has a losable game with Baylor, Florida still plays FSU/Bama, Oklahoma has at least OSU left, Texas still has at least A&M, and Bama still has Auburn/Florida. So at the very LEAST, 'Bama or Florida is going to lose.

So, how do you NOT move Boise St up one spot ? How do you keep a 2 loss Florida team ahead of them ? It isn't like Boise needs to jump 2/3/4 slots. We're talking about ONE. Hell, regardless of what happens they'll be higher ranked than two if not three of the BCS conference champions. Again, how do you not include them ?

Further, how could you justify a second place in the pac10 USC as an "at large" over them ? That's an oregon st win over oregon away from being a possibility. OSU would occupy the automatic Rose Bowl berth, so the ONLY way to justify USC as an "at large" is gone. No more automatic for USC if the Beaves win. Besides that, how in the fuck can you justify USC ahead of PENN STATE ? A one loss BCS conference champion behind a team that might finish second in it's BCS conference ? What the fuck ?

The BCS could still turn into much more of a mess than it is right now. This possible three way tie in the Big 12 is just the tip of the iceberg (although Tech effectively made it a two horse race).

And I'd love someone to mention the "but there could be (enter number of teams here) teams from (this) conference better than (said team)" ..... that argument in itself begs for a playoff.

And no, the regular season IS NOT a playoff. If that were the case, we could stop right now and give 'Bama the title because they're the last one standing. No, if OU/Tex/TT all win next week NOTHING was decided, two of them get shafted because they get to watch two loss Mizzou play for the Big 12 title. If the regular season was a playoff, UF's LOSS to Ole Miss would have eliminated them, but it didn't. USC wouldn't be sniffing the title picture but they are because they weren't elimintated by their loss. In no way shape or form is the regular season a playoff system. A loss is a loss is a loss. If you get one, you're DONE. That isn't how it goes. When you lose shouldn't matter (which it DOES matter right now in college football), but rather IF you lose.

I hope Obama follows through with his talk <_<

If the regular season was the playoff, we'd already be down to the Final Four...the illustrious quartet of Alabama, Utah, Boise State, and Ball State. o_O

Yes, I will state my agreement that a tournament would be welcome.

My new pet cause will be seeing that Utah makes the BCS title game. Indulge me for a moment:

Bama loses to (two-loss...see below) Florida in the SEC title game.

Texas loses to A&M.

Oklahoma gets dropped by Mizzou in the Big XII title game, which they would get into by owning the tiebreak over Tech, now that the Horns have dropped out (see above).

Florida loses to Florida State.

USC tanks in spectacular (dare I say Stanford-like?) fashion against either ND or UCLA.

Et voila. Utah's resume SHOULD still look better than any of those teams left standing. But, they'd probably still find a way to shoehorn Bama in, even if they got absolutely throttled by UF, which I'll be honest, I fully expect at this point. If all that happens and Utah STILL can't get into the big game, there is serious corruption afoot.

Read this this morning and thought I'd share:

In college football, it’s politics over playoffs

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Nov 26, 10:54 pm EST

When she first uttered the phrase that would help Louisiana State win last season’s BCS championship, Kathy Miles was just trying to get her husband to look at the bright side.

Les Miles’ Tigers had just blown the inside track to the BCS title game, losing on the day after Thanksgiving in triple overtime to Arkansas. LSU’s only other loss had also come in triple overtime, at Kentucky back in October.

“You know, Les,” she said that night, “you’re undefeated in regulation.”

Miles’ ears perked up. To a coach a win is a win and a loss is a loss, but this was a different way of looking at it.

He knew that with the confounding way college football crowns its champion, nothing is as it appears. The Bowl Championship Series, with its heavy reliance on opinion polls, has turned the sport into a game of perception and publicity as much as tackles and touchdowns.

The BCS is a farce. To win it, you need to treat it as a farce. So LSU immediately began using athletic department brains, not simply student-athlete brawn, to figure out how to become the first two-loss team to ever reach the title game.

Because the BCS sets no criteria for voter consideration in either of the polls that make up two-thirds of the rankings, the Tigers simply needed to redefine the parameters of the debate.

“We had to argue to people, ‘Yeah, we’ve got two losses, but look how they came,’ ” said Michael Bonnette, LSU’s associate athletic director in charge of media relations.

He had to make a loss (or two) not seem like a loss.

Miles had shared his wife’s line to Bonnette, who was immediately impressed by the simplicity of the argument.

LSU knew it was about to drop from No. 1 in the BCS standings to No. 7, but both coach and publicity man understood anything could happen in the final weekend of the season.

While apologists often hype the BCS as a weekly playoff, LSU knew that isn’t the case. Every week is, however, a chance to spread a political message.

Despite the losses, LSU (10-2 at the time) had the best team in the country. But unless it could convince voters of that, it wouldn’t matter. With a game against Tennessee in the SEC title game upcoming, the Tigers decided to set up their argument just in case the dominoes fell right.

Kathy Miles’ marketing line began getting pitched to the media. Les himself mentioned it at his weekly media conference.

“[LSU] hasn’t lost a game in regulation,” he said. “There has not been a team that has beaten us in 60 minutes.”

Later LSU tried to get the argument used by CBS, a sympathetic broadcast partner, which would telecast the SEC title game.

(Just a year before the network repeatedly made the case for Florida being more deserving of a BCS title berth than Michigan. One of the broadcasters, Gary Danielson, later said in an interview with a Detroit radio station that CBS only campaigned for the SEC because ESPN/ABC does the same for the Big Ten.)

When LSU won the SEC title and then the top two teams in the BCS rankings, Missouri and West Virginia, both lost, LSU tried to saturate the debate with Kathy Miles’ slogan.

On the team’s charter flight home Bonnette worked the phones to key media and got Miles a live interview on that night’s SportsCenter.

Once back in Baton Rouge, Bonnette and his staff put together a brief fact sheet for the coaches who vote. While LSU had a mountain of statistical information and comparative charts, they saved most of that for the media.

Bonnette felt the busy coaches wouldn’t read all of that and suspected other schools had already drowned them in numbers. “We didn’t want to overload them,” he said.

Instead he put together a simple email with four bullet points, the key being a central, emotional plea based on the now oft-repeated campaign slogan – “LSU is undefeated in regulation.”

“We sold it,” Bonnette said. “We did the best we could to get it out there.”

Sunday, on the strength of jumping a stunning five spots in the coaches’ vote and finishing No. 2 in each poll, the Tigers were given a berth in the BCS title game. A month later they handily beat Ohio State for the championship.

It was a masterful PR campaign.

“I know this,” Bonnette said, “I wish I could take credit for the line.”

This is what the BCS has wrought, an American Idol-style political contest where victory and defeat are not always determined on the actual field of play.

Just last week Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops used circular logic to claim his team should be ranked higher than Texas even though Texas beat OU last month by 10 points.

He essentially claimed that if everyone has a loss, then the loss no longer matters. Or, as LSU had once essentially proven, a loss isn’t a loss.

“If it’s logical for one, then it’s logical for the other,” Stoops said.

It worked. Oklahoma moved ahead of Texas in both human polls and, should it defeat Oklahoma State on Saturday, the Sooners are expected to make up enough ground in the computers to beat out the Longhorns for a berth in the Big 12 title game.

Stoops, with his argument already paying dividends, said this week he would now take the high road and no longer lobby voters – which itself might be a shrewd campaign tactic.

One thing was for certain: Texas might be able to beat Oklahoma in football, but in a marketing contest the Sooners routed them.

The silly Longhorns thought the BCS actually cared about football.

This was just the first battle in a two-week political brawl where previously anonymous media relations directors become as valuable as All-American quarterbacks.

Right now there are seven programs that can make a legitimate claim to play in the BCS title game – Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Penn State, Southern California, Texas and Utah.

Whoever sets the terms of the debate will make it.

Consider long-shot Utah, 12-0. If it could somehow convince voters that it shouldn’t be considered the undefeated champion of a non-“Big Six” conference but rather the undefeated champion of the fourth-best conference (superior to the Pac-10, Big East and ACC) who also defeated the probable Pac-10 champ (Oregon State), then it’s quite possible even the Utes could be playing for the title.

It’s the same for the others; each has an advantage if it can get a voter to consider the right question before voting.

Is this about whom you beat or who you lost to or whether you didn’t lose at all? Is it how you’re playing now or is your body of work for the season the key? What’s a conference’s overall strength worth? Do you even have to win your conference, let alone your division?

Is non-conference play important or margin of victory or margin of defeat or statistical rankings or anything else you can dream up?

Does it matter if you never lost in regulation?

Naturally the BCS offers no guidelines on the single most important thing it is supposed to do. Thus the voters are open to being swayed.

That means seven publicity departments are trying to reach 114 Harris Poll voters of various levels of commitment (two weeks ago one guy forgot to even cast a ballot) and 61 college coaches who are often unapologetically biased.

History shows just about anything can work. A year ago, after appearing dead in the water in the season finale, Kathy Miles struck marketing gold, her husband won the title and LSU proved that in college football, the game isn’t really about the game.

Marketing campaigns FTW? Fuck that jazz.

It seems like its almost a done deal that Tennessee is going to hire Lane Kiffin as their next head coach. I hope not. They had an article in the paper here today where someone pointed out a few reasons why they shouldn't touch Kiffin. Prominent amongst them are the fact that Washington State, one of the schools where he'd be a good fit due to his experience with their conference, didn't even give him a look, and that he might consider hiring Ed Ogeron, one of the worst head coaches in SEC history and easily the worst hiring mistake Ole Miss ever made, as part of his coaching staff. The article also held his age against him (he's 33 - 1 year older than former UT QB Peyton Manning), but I don't really think that matters. I do, however, think they could do better, and hiring him would probably be taken as a sign of desperation.

Phil Fulmer proved long ago that he's lost his mind, and the fact that he's leaning toward starting Jonathan Crompton against Kentucky just shows he's either nuts or just doesn't care about winning his last game as coach. Whoever the next head coach is, one of their priorities should be telling Crompton to transfer somewhere else unless he wants to ride the pine until he graduates.

Edited by GhostMachine