Hip Hop Thread?!

David Hassellhoff

Time for a blanket hip hop thread. Okay let's start with artists we <3. At the moment I'm really digging Murs,(If you aren't familiar with him Taleb Kwelli fans would probably like him, the man's tremendous and he has a new album coming out in September) the Roots, Taleb Kweli, and Estelle.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a blanket hip hop thread. Okay let's start with artists we <3. At the moment I'm really digging Murs,(If you aren't familiar with him Taleb Kwelli fans would probably like him, the man's tremendous and he has a new album coming out in September) the Roots, Taleb Kweli, and Estelle.

I had a Murs/Slug from Atmosphere album and it was pretty good. And he featured on a song with Aesop Rock that was really good as well, Murs = good.

I'm psyched that I'm getting to see Del tha Funkee Homosapien in just over a week. I've been wanting to see him live for five years, now.

Hopefully he'll preform 'If You Must', or anything off his first album, 'I Wish My Brother George Was Here'.

I downloaded N.E.R.D.'s first album, 'In Search Of...', and I think it is awesome. 'Lapdance', which you all should remember, was their big hit, but that album is full of hit songs if you ask me.

In what has to be one of only about 10 'credible' hip-hop songs I have, the Murs song I got is pretty good.

Although, that does feature John Cena on it, from about 2005. Called "H.U.S.T.L.E" or "Hustle" or "Hustler" or some other way of spelling the word.

Been listening to Pro Tools for a few days now, it's pretty good. One of my favorite songs, Paper Plate, is quite an enjoyable diss at 50 Cent, and it's obvious that the GZA hasn't been trying to make a hit of the year on this one, which is very appreciatable and respectable these days. Maybe that's a part of it's charm, go figure. On other fronts, ever since January of last year I've been 'digging' into classic and 'must hear' stuff and I've most recently I've run into a mixture of Common's work - from Can I Borrow a Dollar to Finding Forever. Good stuff, good stuff.

Been listening to Pro Tools for a few days now, it's pretty good. One of my favorite songs, Paper Plate, is quite an enjoyable diss at 50 Cent, and it's obvious that the GZA hasn't been trying to make a hit of the year on this one, which is very appreciatable and respectable these days. Maybe that's a part of it's charm, go figure. On other fronts, ever since January of last year I've been 'digging' into classic and 'must hear' stuff and I've most recently I've run into a mixture of Common's work - from Can I Borrow a Dollar to Finding Forever. Good stuff, good stuff.

I really enjoyed the first three tracks off 'Can I Borrow A Dollar', but never got into anything else. Take It Easy is still orgasmic. I love that kind of rap.

I really enjoyed the first three tracks off 'Can I Borrow A Dollar', but never got into anything else. Take It Easy is still orgasmic. I love that kind of rap.

Yes, well, frankly by "a mixture" I meant that I haven't heard any of his albums excluding Finding Forever in their entirity, sorry if that came out wrong. I've just heard about four or five songs from each, and FF and Resurrection seem the most enjoyable, at least at the moment.

Yes, well, frankly by "a mixture" I meant that I haven't heard any of his albums excluding Finding Forever in their entirity, sorry if that came out wrong. I've just heard about four or five songs from each, and FF and Resurrection seem the most enjoyable, at least at the moment.

Haven't really listened to both full-through, though I did check out "Be", which was alright. The only song that I thought was worth burning onto a CD was "The 6th Sense", produced by DJ Premier.

Edited by SKA

I'm kind of afraid for the new Murs. On the one hand, I've liked just about everything the guy's done, but on the other the first song I heard off his new album was hyphy. And fairly fucking awful. So I dunno.

I've become really really uninterested in hip-hop lately. I do not have the new Nas album, or any desire to get it. The last new album I got was Beanie Sigel's from last fall (disappointed in that). No strong desire to get the new GZA album either.

Just been listening to a little of older Nas and Wu-Tang from the mid-90s, and some Three 6 Mafia and related stuff pre-Oscar. Oh, and Clipse is great too, did anyone get their new album?

Are you talking about Hell Hath No Fury or did they drop Til The Casket Drops already?

If you're talking about Hell Hath No Fury, than yeah, I got it. I love the Clipse. Both Malice and Pusha are great at structuring lines and using vocabulary that most MCs don't use. Plus the beats are great too thanks to Pharrell.