Hip Hop Thread?!

David Hassellhoff

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Khaled as a producer and promoter, the music's catchy. As a DJ, he's a joke, no turntable skills at all.

Haven't heard the Jeezy, but will definately be on the lookout for it.

Any word on Papoose and The Nacerima Dream? Stumbled across the Fat Joe diss track from earlier this year (completely awesome if ya haven't heard it) and made me realize I haven't heard his name too much recently after the Jive fiasco.

Any word on Papoose and The Nacerima Dream? Stumbled across the Fat Joe diss track from earlier this year (completely awesome if ya haven't heard it) and made me realize I haven't heard his name too much recently after the Jive fiasco.

Apparently the thing just keeps getting pushed farther and farther back. One of the first release dates given has already past, which says a bit. There was a Wiki article about it, but that's disappeared. On that page, there was a release date of early August last I saw but that never happened.

Papoose is a great talent, good wordplay. Was a bit disappointed when I saw him live, maybe it was because the show was a half hour long in a small shitty nightclub in a small city.

Apparently the thing just keeps getting pushed farther and farther back. One of the first release dates given has already past, which says a bit. There was a Wiki article about it, but that's disappeared. On that page, there was a release date of early August last I saw but that never happened.

Papoose is a great talent, good wordplay. Was a bit disappointed when I saw him live, maybe it was because the show was a half hour long in a small shitty nightclub in a small city.

I've heard good things about his live show before you said otherwise. When the Touch It remix was out, we tried to bring him out for a show but they wanted way too much money, so unfortunately, I've not seen him live.

And yea, the wiki page for the Nacirema Dream is just Pap's page again. Strange.

When I saw Pap live, as said the show was only like 35 minutes. There were some real good parts in there, other parts you can kind of tell he didn't give too much of a shit. It was a small crowd in a small club in a small city, the crowd mostly wasn't into it cause they're dumb as fuck... and half came to support the shitty opening group.

Maybe if it was somewhere better, things would have been a lot different.

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to a shit load of Heltah Skeltah lately, amping for D.I.R.T. when it gets released, Im a massive Sean P/Boot Camp fan.

Also just downloaded the new Ill Bill, "The Hour of Reprisal" which I am really digging. Heaps of features, and dope production.

Emcees/Artists I listen to on a constant basis:

Celph Titled

Ras Kass

CunninLynguists

Jedi Mind Tricks

Army of The Pharoahes

Killah Priest

R.A. The Rugged Man

Canibus

Chief Kamachi

Outerspace

Ill Bill

Big L

Sean Price

Heltah Skeltah

Boot Camp Clik

Atmosphere

Sage Francis

Aesop Rock

Company Flow/El P

Immortal Technique

Chino XL

Also cop the Immortal Technique/DJ Green Lantern street album, The Third World. That is definitly up there for album of the year.

I liked the live version, but goddamn, the studio version of "Love Lockdown" by Kanye is awful when it comes to the chorus. Hopefully it's just not a properly mixed version.

No. It's that bad. So bad that he got arrested as atonement for the abomination.

Saw GZA tonight. He played all of "Liquid Swords" plus numerous other songs. It was as good as it sounds.

I liked the live version, but goddamn, the studio version of "Love Lockdown" by Kanye is awful when it comes to the chorus. Hopefully it's just not a properly mixed version.

No. It's that bad. So bad that he got arrested as atonement for the abomination.

Saw GZA tonight. He played all of "Liquid Swords" plus numerous other songs. It was as good as it sounds.

Nice.

I finally got Pro Tools, so far have only listened to it once. Can't really say much, but I wasn't too excited with it on first listen.

I saw GZA performing Liquid Swords last year, and it was fucking brilliant. Easily the best hip-hop gig I've ever been to (although there's not too much competition), and up there as one of the best gigs period.

T.I.'s new album is pretty good. Much better then T.I. vs T.I.P, and he's going pretty hard lyrically on this one, more so then he was before. A lot of different songs that I would have never expected him to do either.

I'm really looking forward to The Blueprint 3 if it does come out this year, as I'm a HUGE Jay-Z fan. I'm reserving my thoughts on what Kanye is doing with his album until I hear it, although the whole singing in auto-tune through out the whole album is a bit too much. A track here and there is nice, but we'll see. I'm even looking forward towards 50 Cent's next album, as I think he's going to put in a much better effort then what he did when he went up against Kanye last year. The 4th quarter is usually great for hip-hop, so I can see myself buying a lot of albums in the next couple of months.

The Game's album isn't bad, just relies on too many guest appearances, in which a lot were uninspiring. The "Letter To The King" song is probably the best song I've heard him do since "Dreams". Phenomenal song, and Nas definitely blessed it with a great verse.

Paper Trail is really good. Definitely exceeded my expectations. Whatever You Like has really grown on me, and is one of my favorite songs on the album. The lyrical content on this album are T.I.'s best in a while IMO. It's been a good year for hip hop, and it should only get better with albums out later this year from Jay-Z, Common, Kanye (though I'm not feeling Love Lockdown), and hopefully a new Q-Tip album.

Is the Big Boi album due for release this year? I've really been getting back into Outkast recently and whilst Andre is my favourite out of the two, I'm looking forward to hearing Big Boi's solo stuff. Speaking of which, 3000 needs to drop a solo album like now. His cameos on other songs in the past two years have been some of the best things going in hip hop recently.

Is the Big Boi album due for release this year? I've really been getting back into Outkast recently and whilst Andre is my favourite out of the two, I'm looking forward to hearing Big Boi's solo stuff. Speaking of which, 3000 needs to drop a solo album like now. His cameos on other songs in the past two years have been some of the best things going in hip hop recently.

Andre has confirmed in a recent interview that his solo album is coming out either late this year or early next year.

TI has been pretty hit or miss with me since Urban Legend. I can't stand "Whatever You Like" it reminds me of Slow Jamz that Kanye, Twista, and Jamie Foxx did a few years back. Especially the way TI raps in that song it sounds just like Kanye's flow did in Slow Jamz. The song with Rihanna is alright but it's another mainstream radio song. Swagga Like Us is good except for Wayne and Ye using that awful autotune crap. I wish that would just die already, everyone is using it now. TI steals that song in my opinion even though Jay also showed up. No Matter What is good song as is On Top Of The World with Luda but that hook is awful and makes me not want to listen to the song. It's better then TI Vs TIP though...that album only got a couple of spins in my world before I couldn't listen to it again.

It looks like we're getting another Kanye album in November. I wish I could be excited but if the whole album is done like Love Lockdown I don't think I'll be buying it. I've listen to that song 5 or 6 times and I just don't like it.

Can we get another Roots album? :( Maybe a new Blackstar album? Something without Akon or T-Pain on it?