Hip Hop Thread?!

David Hassellhoff

Time for a blanket hip hop thread. Okay let's start with artists we <3. At the moment I'm really digging Murs,(If you aren't familiar with him Taleb Kwelli fans would probably like him, the man's tremendous and he has a new album coming out in September) the Roots, Taleb Kweli, and Estelle.

I had a Murs/Slug from Atmosphere album and it was pretty good. And he featured on a song with Aesop Rock that was really good as well, Murs = good.

Until the new Murs album comes out you can always check out his other stuff with Ninth Wonder(producer): Murs 3:16, Murray's Revenge, and Sweet Lord.

Lowerdeck, if you like Nas, Murs might be worth at least looking up on myspace.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Nas is dope, new Ice Cube is pretty damn good too.

damshow, Ghostface Killah's albums that aren't The Pretty Toney Album. Dude drops good stuff ALL the time, with that one exception.

Anyone heard of Jedi Mind Tricks? If not, go check them, seriously.

They got boring pretty fast. For me at least.

Anyone want to take a stab at making a top-10 solo Wu-Tang albums list? After hearing "Pro Tools" I got inspired. I'll probably have mine a bit later.

1. Raekwon "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx"

2. Ghostface "Fishscale"

3. GZA "Liquid Swords"

4. Ghostface "Big Doe Rehab"

5. Method Man "Tical"

6. Ghostface "Iron Man"

7. Ghostface "Bulletproof Wallets"

8. Masta Killa "No Said Date"

Those are honestly the only solo Wu albums I've enjoyed (haven't listened to Pro Tools yet).

As far as Murs goes, just recently got into him after seeing him at Rock the Bells. Definitely recommend Murs 3:16: The 9th Edition. H-U-S-T-L-E and Walk Like A Man are great songs.

1. GZA - "Liquid Swords"

2. Raekwon - "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx"

3. Ghostface - "Supreme Clientele"

4. Ghostface - "Ironman"

5. Method Man - "Tical"

6. Ghostface - "Big Doe Rehab"

7. Ghostface - "Fishscale"

8. GZA - "Beneath the Surface"

9. Inspectah Deck - "Uncontrolled Substance"

10. GZA - "Legend of the Liquid Sword"

Brotha Lynch Hung is the most hardcore rapper I have ever heard, and he is one of the best I have ever heard. The guy sounds and raps like Snoop Dogg, has those typical West Coast-Dr. Dre style beats (which are executed to perfection), and all he really raps about is killing people, eating people, and avenging his cousin who was murdered. I have his second album, which is so good I don't want to ruin it by getting any of his other ones. He's made about seven albums, but his second one is without a doubt his best. It's called "Season of da Siccness" and a must for all of those who loves hardcore gangsta rap.

Here are YouTube videos of two of my favorite songs by him...

Rest in Piss

If you do not listen you suck. Major balls.

Edited by SKA

Brotha Lynch Hung is the most hardcore rapper I have ever heard, and he is one of the best I have ever heard. The guy sounds and raps like Snoop Dogg, has those typical West Coast-Dr. Dre style beats (which are executed to perfection), and all he really raps about is killing people, eating people, and avenging his cousin who was murdered. I have his second album, which is so good I don't want to ruin it by getting any of his other ones. He's made about seven albums, but his second one is without a doubt his best. It's called "Season of da Siccness" and a must for all of those who loves hardcore gangsta rap.

Here are YouTube videos of two of my favorite songs by him...

Rest in Piss

If you do not listen you suck. Major balls.

Season of da Siccness is about the only Lynch album you need to own. Everything else is such a big drop off from it, you can't help but be disappointed. If you're into Lynch, you might be into Young Droop also, one of the younger cats that Lynch and X-Raided (to an extent) helped put on. Doing stuff with C-Bo and company go, decent music though.

Also, judging by some of the artists a lot of you have named, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the new album from Skillz, Million Dollar Backpack. Anyone who knows Skillz knows him mostly for his year-end wrap ups but he's also a notorious ghostwriter. First album in quite a while, but absolutely fantastic.

Game's L.A.X. came out pretty nice with Letter to the King easily being the best track on the album.

The Cool Kids dropped Bake Sale, a solid album from top to bottom if you're into that style, which it seems a lot of you are.

Also, on a personal promotional tip, we've just released Digital Underground's final studio album (no, it's not a comeback, just some stuff they made and wanted to get out)....if you were ever into Digital Underground, go to jakerecords.com , it's worth the money. Also, Shock G's solo album, over some people's heads but if you understand it, you already know how good it is. /promotion.

Has the dirty version of LAX by Game leaked? Last I checked it was just the Clean version.

The explicit version's out. If you can't find it, PM me.

Edit: Upon further review, I think the actual album's been released so it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Typical Phenom

A track leaked off of TI's new album Paper Trail. It's called "Swagger Like Us" featuring Kanye West, Lil' Wayne, and Jay-Z. Other then that damned voice recorder crap being used by Kanye and Wayne on the song it's pretty good for 4 of the biggest mainstream artists out there. Jay and TI go especially hard on it.

I also thought Cube's new album was pretty good. It's alot better then 90% of the crap thats out today. Now if we could just get that new Black Star album...

I'm kind of mixed on Paper Trail based on the tracks that have been leaked so far. No Matter What and What Up, What's Happening are both great songs, Swagger Like Us is decent, but it also has some bad songs like Whatever You Like and Livin' My Life (which samples Numa Numa). Chances are it'll be better than TI v.s. TIP though.

Is anyone else as excited For Young Jeezy's The Recession as I am? Put On is one of my favorite songs this year, and I've liked every song thats leaked so far. Could be album of the year IMO.

I'm not a huge Jeezy fan, but I'm looking forward to The Recession too. Put On is one of my favorite songs at the moment, Jeezy does a damn good job but Kayne just kills it. I can't wait for a new CD from him, does anyone know when that could be?

I think he's helping Jay-Z out with Blueprint 3 before he makes another album, but I'm sure one will be out by next year. I can't wait for it either, pretty much every guest appearance he's had, he's killed it. He's amazing on Put On, DJ Khaled's Go Hard, and the Lollipop remix. Maybe it's the auto tune <_<

Also, The Recession leaked last night, and I have to say it's amazing. I'm not a big fan of Jeezy's previous albums, but this is so much better than them. The production is top notch, definitely recommend it as it up there for album of the year.

I think he's helping Jay-Z out with Blueprint 3 before he makes another album, but I'm sure one will be out by next year. I can't wait for it either, pretty much every guest appearance he's had, he's killed it. He's amazing on Put On, DJ Khaled's Go Hard, and the Lollipop remix. Maybe it's the auto tune dry.gif

Oh well, as long as he makes an appearence or two on the Blueprint 3 then I'll be happy. Kayne/Jay Z is always a good combnation, one of my favorite songs is The Bounce, off of the Blueprint...2 I think.

Also, The Recession leaked last night, and I have to say it's amazing. I'm not a big fan of Jeezy's previous albums, but this is so much better than them. The production is top notch, definitely recommend it as it up there for album of the year.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm grabbing it now and can't wait.

Anyways, is anyone here a fan of DJ Khaled? He has some catchy ass tracks and there are always some decent artists on them. I liked Listen and he has another CD coming out in a couple weeks. Only think I don't like about him is his voice, but he's not a rapper so I don't really care that much.

Edited by Hellfire

I don't really like Khaled at all (well, Out Here Grindin' has a good Akon-sung chorus), I find his voice annoying, but I can't hate: the man makes, what, eight hundred dollars or more for yelling "WE THE BEST!" and "DJ KHALED!" on tracks (Y)

L.A.X, well, haven't heard the explicit version yet, only the clean one. Of course it's dead easy to imagine him saying "bitch" and "shit" and whatnot in place of the silenced spots, but of course all the tracks will just have a better feel to them when they're not one bit censored. I should be receiving the album in a few days so that's when I'll really try getting into it, but based on listening to all the tracks on the clean version the disc was a slight disappointment. New songs I liked right away... Intro, LAX Files, Cali Sunshine, Angel, Outro. Seriously. Just those, and out of those three are actual songs, the rest were very meh to me. Of course, two out of the three singles are awesome, with Game's Pain just lacking something to me. The Doctor's Advocate and of course Documentary just had a better beat selection to me. Then again, all of the tracks except one from the Deluxe Edition of L.A.X - Nice, Spanglish and Ain't Fucking With You - are very good. Guess they just wouldn't have fitted to the overall feel of the "actual" album. Have to say that State of Emergency and Money are starting to grow on me.

Raw Footage, this is coming to me via mail along with L.A.X soon and this one, I haven't heard at all apart from the singles and It Takes a Nation. All reviews indicate greatness, so should be an enjoyable listen.

Ego Trippin' is my favorite 2008 album thus far :shifty: No, really, I really enjoyed it that much. Blu and Exile's was alright, Atmosphere was pretty good, Tha Carter III was okay, Untitled was okay, L.A.X not impressive on the first listen, Fat Joe sucked, T.O.S. was surprisingly enjoyable, Pro Tools pretty good... seriously, Ego Trippin'. That's where it's at.

In other news, Dr. Dre's son is dead. Not Hood Surgeon, the other one, just 20 years old. Hopefully the doc can survive through this.

Anyways, is anyone here a fan of DJ Khaled? He has some catchy ass tracks and there are always some decent artists on them. I liked Listen and he has another CD coming out in a couple weeks. Only think I don't like about him is his voice, but he's not a rapper so I don't really care that much.

A year ago I downloaded that We The Best album. I thought it was pretty good and catchy. I really liked, "We Takin' Over" and "I'm So Hood" (before that song got popular.) But maybe I just liked it because Rick Ross was on it, and I thought he was the blackest rapper I had ever seen, until MTV and BET started showing his videos.