Hip Hop Thread?!

David Hassellhoff

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paris is always a winner www.guerillafunk.com you can find out about T-K.A.S.H. there too. Also Sabac-Red's (from Non-Phixion) album was fairly political. Also Los Nativos http://www.losnativos.com/

Thanks, man. I'll check 'em out. (Y) Any other suggestions from anyone would be great too.

Oh, and I was reading Dr. Dre's wikipedia page last night, and I was thinking... is Detox the Chinese Democracy of hip-hop?

And I saw this:

Among planned but unreleased albums during Dr. Dre's tenure at Aftermath have included a full-length reunion with Snoop Dogg titled "Breakup to Makeup", an album with fellow former N.W.A member Ice Cube which was to be titled "Heltah Skeltah", an N.W.A reunion album, and a joint album with fellow producer Timbaland titled Chairmen of the Board.

Fuck.

Edited by Tristof

• 4 weeks later...

Calling an album Heltah Skeltah is sure to piss of underground purists!

People who think Lil Wayne is anything other than garbage can eat a dick. I wont even give you the benefit of the doubt for the album being listenable. Its crap. Thats the be all end all.

Q-Tip's is up there, Nas', Ill Bill's, Jedi Mind Tricks', Heltah Skeltah's, Immortal technique/Green Lantern's. There have been a few good efforts as far as 2008 goes.

what's some other artists that are highly political? I already know of stuff like Dead Prez, Ill Bill, Immortal Technique, etc.

Saul Williams and Sage Francis (Even though they lean alot on Spoken Word Poetry.) El-P, Atmosphere has a couple political songs, Public Enemy of course, The Coup is great, the Marxmen are supposed to be good as well but I haven't listened alot to them...

Only just got LL Cool J's newish album 'Exit 13' which is brilliant. A must listen, even if it's for the opening track 'It's Time For War'. Apparently his last ever album for Def Jam after 20+ years? Feel like he's always been one of the most underrated rappers if anything, because his lyrics are sometimes amazing. Mixes the styles up really different on here, some of it's not mind blowing, but listen to this.

Not really. He only has a few of Cena's qualities, yes, he can certainly sell stuff and is marketable, but he doesn't bust his ass off everytime he's in the booth and can't tell a story :shifty:

Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe he truly is. I mean, I don't think anybody considers Wayne to actually be the best rapper alive, but obviously you have to give him his props for selling such a load of CD's in this kind of a time for the music industry.

So, Cadence Weapon. What are people's opinions? I was reminded of him today, and would like to get more stuff than the couple of tracks I have, anyone know where should I start?

Yeah I'm also going for the 3rd time. It might be my last time seeing them in a while too unless they completely blow me away. It's fun seeing them live, but it was basically the same setlist both times I saw them, and the only ones that really had much energy were Meth and Cappadonna.

Wayne CAN rap and he is damn good, but i still dont place him in my fav 5 rappers tho. He catches alot of bullshit from people because he is cocky and says he is the best rapper alive... he actually does spit on almost every single track and you can come out with a good amount of quotes when ya listen to his shit.

I still make fun of the fucker for sounding like he's crying all the time and all of this "no homo" bullshit, but the dude can rap his ass off, and has more dedication and a better work ethic in the booth than any other rapper out there.