Adam Sandler

YI

It is scientifically proven Adam Sandler has ceased being funny since 2000, but I still love Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison and Little Nicky with all my fucking heart. Big Daddy and Bulletproof have their moments too.

People slag him off, he's a one trick pony, and when he's tried other things they've flopped bigtime, but when I'm in the mood for him, I could easily sit down, watch those 5 on a boring afternoon/evening...maybe with The Wedding Singer or The Waterboy thrown in too, quite happily and get drunk.

I would completely agree. Watching a recent Adam Sandler film is not a very pleasant experience.

Then again the Adam Sandler films I enjoyed were released when I was an idiot. I might not enjoy them as much now seeing as I'm not 12 years old.

I think I would still like Happy Gilmore if I were to see it now, though I think I would hate Little Nicky.

Oh my god, Click was awesome. Not only was it pretty hilarious, Sandler had a great emotional performance towards the end of the movie.]

Also I saw Don't mess with the Zohan the other night. It plays on a lot of stereotypes, but its pretty different to his usual films. Still hilarious though.

I dont really care for the style of comedy he uses in Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison and the like. He is great when he is doing a different style of comedy, such as Big Daddy and Click. The ony movie (not like he has really tried many times I dont think) that isnt a comedy that he is SUPERB in in Reign Over Me.

I can watch Gilmore and Madison, but I prefer not. Waterboy was a good movie I think, Click was great, Spanglish was a decent movie, Big Daddy is a rather good movie, Little Nicky I adore.

Spanglish, Reign Over Me, and Click all came out after 2000. On the other hand, none of them could be considered full-on comedies, and Spanglish and Click are more like dramedies. So maybe YI's conjecture is correct on some level - Adam Sandler stopped being funny in the way that he used to.

Zohan is a case in point here. He was just too outlandish, and while outlandish used to work for him, it just doesn't anymore. He's allowed himself to get human and down-to-earth and happy-sappy, and delivered some damn good performances because of it, and now, people just aren't gonna' let him get away with putting out schlock.

He can act, and that shows in Click, and even with Punch Drunk Love. I'm surprised there isn't more love for Wedding Singer. On the label it seems like a "LOL 80's!" flick but it is really an great movie and I've heard some people say it's pretty much his peak, full on comedy wise.

And no-one mentioned Mr. Deeds. Good.

Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, basically any of his SNL stuff, and his music is great for "I don't want to think" comedy. It's superb.

Spanglish, Click, Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love are just good fucking movies.

The Wedding Singer is fun.

Right now I haven't a clue what to think of the man. I avoided Zohan, and seemingly, rightfully so. He falls in the same sort of group as Jim Carey and Robin Williams to me - good at playing broad, over-the-top characters, had some good serious movies later on (Eternal Sunshine for Carey, One Hour Photo for Williams off the top of my head) but now people don't know how to 'classify' them, which makes them feel uncomfortable. Audiences like comfort, I guess.

I enjoyed Zohan.

I think he is suffering from the same thing as Will Ferrell. A lot of people found him funny before, but now they are tired of his style of comedy or tired of seeing him in a lot of movies.

I actually thought Chuck & Larry was quality. I have Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore on DVD, and I know that I would buy Wedding Singer or Waterboy if I saw them on sale somewhere. And what about Airheads?

A better serious movie for Carrey would be The Truman Show & The Majestic. As for Robin Williams, I absolutely abhor any role in which he is trying to be funny. I prefer him Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo, and other dramas. More on topic, I've enjoyed everything I've seen from Sandler, but especially his later work (post 2000) where he shows more range.

Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, Nicky, Gilmore, Madison, Chuck and Larry, and others like that are great Sandler Movies.

Also his more serious roles like Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish are awesome!

Also I even found his animated christmas movie good as well, hes a great actor who gets little praise for his work outside comedy

He either makes great movies or utterly awful one. I like to call the following the "Sandler Chart""

GREAT:

Happy Gilmore

The Wedding Singer

Big Daddy

Punch-Drunk Love

Mr Deeds

50 First Dates

AWFUL:

Little Nicky

The Waterboy

Spanglish

The Longest Yard

I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry

Actually there are a few I don't know where to place Like Anger Management. Grr, there goes my whole theory.

Anyway Happy Gilmore and Mr Deeds would be up in my favourite comedies while Little Nicky and Waterboy are pretty much in my top ten worst movies of all time. I love the stuff he does with Drew Barrymore though - Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates are fantastic.

He either makes great movies or utterly awful one. I like to call the following the "Sandler Chart""

GREAT:

Happy Gilmore

The Wedding Singer

Big Daddy

Punch-Drunk Love

Mr Deeds

50 First Dates

AWFUL:

Little Nicky

The Waterboy

Spanglish

The Longest Yard

I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry

Actually there are a few I don't know where to place Like Anger Management. Grr, there goes my whole theory.

Anyway Happy Gilmore and Mr Deeds would be up in my favourite comedies while Little Nicky and Waterboy are pretty much in my top ten worst movies of all time. I love the stuff he does with Drew Barrymore though - Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates are fantastic.

To put Mr. Deeds over The Waterboy is blasphemy in my books.

I'm one who just sees everything as good unless it's really, really bad. I agree with Chuck & Larry but the other three were all very decent. Even Little Nicky when, now thinking back, wasn't that good at all, is still alright movie wise.

I enjoyed 50 First Dates. You can all cease to respect my opinions now.

I really like that film as well, so meh.

Adam Sandler is a weird one for me. If I'm in the right mood, it works for me. Hammy placing Waterboy in the awful list makes me sad though.

And hell, The Longest Yard, as its an MTV remake, so for what it is, it is perfectly watchable.

Adding one that I haven't seen, 8 Crazy Nights is good (even though its animated).

Every single one of his films, that I've seen, have almost the same story. Except with golf. Except that he's a wedding singer. Except that he is the son of the devil. Except that he is... you get the idea. Which isn't bad if you like that.