Official La Liga Thread

Baddar

Mourninho's achievements are incredible, seven league titles in a decade in four different countries, Portugal, England, Italy and now Spain. He has done everything he set out to do and conquered the three major leagues as he said he wanted to do, and he is only in his forties. That's an outstanding achievement for all his antics and style - and love him or loathe him - he is undoubtedly a great manager. What now for him? Does he stay or does he go? It would be weird he decided to call it a day and the three long standing teams at the top of Liga Primera in Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia all lost their managers at the end of the season.

In regards to the match, well, it was largely terrible from the first half that I watched. I gave up not long after since both teams were going through the motions, even a long standing hatred between the two sides didn't seem to conjure up any real vigour - there were a few fouls, mainly Coentrao and Pepe throwing themselves on the floor - but otherwise Real Madrid cantered to the win for the league and Athletic know Champions League is off the table now, Europa League participation is already assured next season and they have the finals of the Copa del Rey and Europa League to contend with so didn't really seem to go all out in the match. Javi Martinez playing a makeshift right back was incredibly odd to see.

Good to see Lehendakari! Toquero got a start and he did what he does best, run, run and run some more. Oh, and everytime I watch Mesut Ozil I fall a little bit more in love with him - he's such a phenomenal footballer and I can't wait to watch him in the Euro's in June and July.

Well, yes, I'm sure he has.

Stoke came up after he had left Chelsea, if I am right. So no he hasn't :P

Messi scored 4 goals last night in a 4-0 victory against Espanyol, having now scored 50 goals in a single season he has broken the record of 49 goals in a top division from Aston Villa's Tom Waring back in 1930/31.

Didn't see that one coming. Unai Emery will take the Spartak Moscow job as well. I always forget Russia when trying to work out where a coach will next go, I really should stop doing that..

Edited by IAceI

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Barcelona :angry:. Figures that Pep would go out on a high. Wonder what moves Vilanova will make in the transfer market… apart from the assumption that Pinto needs to go :P

And hopefully Bielsa stays despite the disappointing two cup final defeats. Has he given any indication either way yet?

• 2 weeks later...

That's horrible, bless him. 7 years younger than my dad too, which is always a bit of an eye-opener. Just did a quick look into him;

2002 his wife died of cancer, 2004 his son was killed in a car crash, his dad was ran over last year and then he died one day after signing with Villarreal. :(

• 2 months later...

You missed the Malaga game.

Fabrice, an academy kid, became Malaga's youngest ever player when he came in the 60th minute, and scored the only goal to kick La Liga off.

You watching tonight, Ace?

Sevilla-Getafe first, followed by Mallorca-Espanyol.

I'll more than likely only watch the first one.

Presume Ace is still on the train unless he's staying over. Takes me three hours, god knows how long it takes to get to Carlisle.

You watching tonight, Ace?

Sevilla-Getafe first, followed by Mallorca-Espanyol.

I'll more than likely only watch the first one.

Presume Ace is still on the train unless he's staying over. Takes me three hours, god knows how long it takes to get to Carlisle.

3 and a half ish. Not too bad really.

And I made a European Football thread for La Liga too. :(

What have I missed? Owt or nowt? Just got back before and I'm watching Mallorca v Espanyol now. :)