Sousa vs. iDOL

IDOL

Sousa v. IDOL  

31 members have voted

1. 1. And the winnah is...

• Entry #1
    • Entry #2

All right, we have our two entries, now that Sousa and IDOL have agreed to move on without Hajj. Rules may be found in Post #1. As usual, the entries are posted anonymously, so vote for the entry rather than the writer. And on that note, to encourage a little discussion and some feedback for each writer's work, I introduce a new wrinkle. There will be a poll at the top of the thread, and votes will be tabulated there as normal. BUT!!! There will be bonuses. If you put together a post of valid feedback explaining why that writer got yer vote, the writer you vote for in that post will get a bonus point. So, put in some words of advice/praise and your vote counts double. And don't these lads deserve it for the work?

Winner gets 10 KOTD points, loser gets 5. And here's the readin' material.

================================================================================

Entry #1:

ROUND 1:

* The tournament opened with a hard-fought, grueling match between RAW's Umaga and SmackDown!'sThe Big Show. Umaga and Show brawled up and down the ring area, with neither man giving an inch. In the end, though, a hard right hand to the face gave Big Show the opening he needed to deliver the Showstopper and advance to the next round.

* The second first-round match saw SmackDown!'s monstrous Great Khali square off against a rising star on ECW, Kofi Kingston. It was obvious that the much smaller Kingston was overmatched, and the monstrous Khali made no small thing of throwing his weight around, crushing Kingston with a variety of nerve holds. The plucky Jamaican just wouldn't go down for the three, however, but all appeared lost when Khali attempted the Khali Vice. Kingston, however, rolled out of the way, ducking between Khali's legs, then managed a roll-up for the quick fluke three-count! The crowd was ecstatic, and Khali, none too happy, took his anger out on Kingston, stomping away at him after the match. The beatdown continued until The Big Show arrived for the save, pulling Kingston out of the ring to save his second-round opponent from his Backlash opponent.

* ECW's Shaman of Sexy and WWE Tag Team Champion, John Morrison, arrived next to face RAW's World Tag Team Champion, Hardcore Holly. Holly worked his usual stiff style, reddening Morrison's chest with his hard knife-edge chops, while Morrison took advantage of whatever opening he could find to gain an edge over Holly. After a back-and-forth battle, Morrison managed to pick up the duke with his patented Moonlight Drive.

* The final first-round contest saw RAW's Santino Marella mock his opponent, SmackDown!'s corn-fed colossus Festus, prior to the bell. Santino mocked Festus's clueless expression and stoic demeanor despite the urging of Festus's more talkative partner, Jesse. Of course, the obvious conclusion here is that the moment the bell rang, Festus fucking murdered Santino's face off. The match was a squash, with Festus's Air Biscuit (...it's fucking called the Air Biscuit!?) squashing the helpless Italian.

ROUND 2:

* Kofi Kingston arrived for his second-round match looking beaten, battered, and exhausted after the hell that The Great Khali put him through in round one. To his credit, The Big Show offered to let Kingston forfeit, but the fiery Jamaican's fighting spirit wouldn't allow him to do so, and in fact the match was anything but a squash: Kingston got in some impressive, high-flying offense that staggered the big man. Ultimately, though, it was Big Show's Showstopper--delivered as a block to a top-rope double-axhandle--that gave Show the win. However, Show helped Kingston to his feet after the match and raised his hand--an obvious show of respect from the former WWE Champion.

* There was no such respect from John Morrison in round two, however, as he came into his match with Festus ready to go. Morrison attacked Festus in the aisleway prior to the bell, throwing Jesse into the guardrail and putting the fight to Festus outside the ring. Morrison seemed to have Festus all but beaten... until, that is, he rolled him into the ring and the bell sounded, prompting the big man to sit right back up and look pissed. From then on, Festus was on fire, and while Morrison tried to escape, the corn-fed colossus was never far behind. When it appeared that Festus had the match won, however, the bell suddenly rang, leaving Festus in a dead stop in the middle of a run! The Miz had arrived at ringside, ringing the bell! Morrison took advantage of Festus's temporary incapacitation, delivering the Moonlight Drive and getting the pin. The post-match bell-ringing, though, saw Festus spring back to life, and Miz and Morrison hightailed it from the ring before the giant could get his revenge!

AND NOW A PROMO:

Todd Grisham is backstage in the interview area and welcomes his guest at this time, The Big Show. Show walks onto frame to a very nice pop from the crowd, still looking in top form despite having competed twice already in the evening. He stands over Grisham, looking huge and cracking his arms and doing all kinds of big showy stuff.

Grisham: Tonight, Big Show--very, very soon--you'll be competing in the finals of the King of the Ring competition, in the tradition of all of the great Kings of the Ring of the past--Harley Race, Don Muraco, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, and so many others. But first, you face a tremendous challenge in one-half of the WWE Tag Team Champions, John Morrison!

Show: Well Todd, you're right about this: John Morrison is a tremendous challenge. And in a lot of ways, Todd, John Morrison and I have a lot in common. I'm a former ECW Champion... he's a former ECW Champion. I'm one of the top athletes in the WWE today... he's one of the top athletes in the WWE today. I took the beating of a lifetime at WrestleMania... he took the beating of a lifetime at WrestleMania. I'm seven feet, five hundred pounds of pure, unstoppable fury with a punch that could knock a hole in a brick wall... he's...

Big Show suddenly stops, strokes his chin, and smiles.

Show: ...oh. Wait, I guess he's not, is he?

Show turns back to the camera, which zooms in on a tight shot under him, emphasizing his height.

Show: Now Morrison, don't think for one second that I'm underestimating you. I know that you'll have that weasly little punk The Miz out there with you, and I know you've got a bag of tricks as deep as they come. And that's why I can't wait to get out to that ring, to wrap my huge hand around that puny little neck of yours, to pick you up high over my head AND DRIVE YOU BACK DOWN INTO THE MAT! That, Morrison, is something we DON'T have in common. You can beat me, but I can destroy you. And when I do that tonight, they'll be putting the crown on top of the head of the world's largest athlete, and you'll be groveling on your knees before the throne... of King Show.

Show lumbers off, still looking huge, as Grisham sends us back to the ring for a Cody Rhodes match or something.

THE FINALS:

After being asked to listen and being informed that this ain't no make believe (and hey look THE MIZ is there too), we are informed that well, it's a big show. In fact, it's a big bad show tonight lawd. Both men arrive looking somewhat tired, but neither the worse for wear--both still seem to have one solid match in them. Both men stand in the ring, and Show goes into full-on MMA mode, circling Morrison and shadowboxing...

...and Morrison already bails to the floor.

Show beckons Morrison toward the apron, and Morrison in fact climbs back up. He stands until Show lunges, and he suddenly slides between Show's legs, then delivers a dropkick to the back of the big man. Show, however, seems staggered but little fazed, and he turns and wags a finger at Morrison. Morrison smirks and tries to bail out the opposite side of the ring, but Show grabs him by the hair and drags him back inside! The monstrous big man hoists Morrison up, high over his head, and walks toward the ropes--until, that is, Morrison slides out of Show's grasp and hits a spinning wheel kick--that Show also no-sells! Show turns around slowly, still looking huge and awesome, and reaches for Morrison again, who this time drops to the mat and slides between Show's legs once again, then delivers an impressive low kick to the right shin that actually staggers the big man. With Morrison's strategy now figured out, the smaller man manages a drop toe hold on Show, then drops a knee right onto the back of the leg. Morrison drags Show by the leg toward the ropes, laying the leg onto the bottom rope. With a flourish, Morrison delivers a wonderfully executed breakdancing leg drop onto the elevated leg, leaving Show in pain. Morrison makes the cover, but it's a two count only, and Show is still alive!

With Show down on the mat, Morrison sets Show up near the edge of the ring and, with a running start, springs off of the ropes for a springboard elbow drop... attempt, because Show has moved out of the way! The furious Show pulls himself to his feet before Morrison, laying into him with big overhand chops before finally backing Morrison into the corner. Show holds his arm high for another chop--until, that is, Morrison slides under Show's leg's again. Morrison seems read to rock again... but Show nearly knocks his head off with a monstrous diving lariat instead, sending Morrison to the outside once again!

This time, however, Show will have none of Morrison's attempts to slow the pace, and he follows his challenger to the outside. As Morrison tries to escape, the Miz suddenly steps between Show and Morrison, daring the big man to proceed! The distraction allows Morrison to duck back into the ring, but Miz, arms held out, seems ready to fight--and Big Show looks amused! Show reaches down at the smaller man, plucking the hat from his head and trying it on himself. Miz looks on, aghast, as Show takes the hat in his huge hands and crushes it into a ball, looks down at the Miz, and smiles.

The Miz runs like a little mizzy bitch.

As Show climbs back onto the apron, MOrrison lays into him with kicks to the wounded shin, then hits a spinning wheel kick that sends Show back to the floor. Morrison gets a running start and manages to hit a beautiful baseball slide, which sends Show reeling toward the guardrail. Morrison follows his quarry outside, grabbing him by the head and attempting to ram him into the guardrail, but oh no bitch you don't do that to a huge guy without getting YOUR HEAD RAMMED INTO THE RAIL INSTEAD! Big Show picks Morrison up high over his head, then drops him face-first into the guardrail, buckling on his weak knee a bit. Show rolls Morrison back into the ring, then takes a moment on the floor to regain his composure as the referee turns back to Morrison.

...and with the referee distracted, Show doesn't see The Miz, who has reappeared behind him to crack Show in the shin with the scepter prop from the throne set!

With Show wounded, Morrison rolls outside once again to slide him back into the ring while the Miz takes cover. The crowd is livid as Morrison sets Show up, then puts him down with the Moonlight Drive. The three-count is elementary, and John Morrison walks away from RAW the 2008 King of the Ring!

As Morrison rolls out of the ring, Miz is ecstatic. The two partners back toward the throne as referee Mike Chioda stops both long enough to raise Morrison's hand. Big Show starts to recover, but Morrison and Miz are already at the throne, with Morrison throwing the robe over his shoulders and the crown on his head. The Miz hands Morrison the scepter, and the new King of the Ring stands with one foot on the throne, holding the scepter high over his head.

THE NEXT WEEK, ON RAW...:

ECW General Manager Armando Estrada is in the center of the ring, where a throne--accented with flames and faux gold barbed wire--rests. Estrada holds in his hand a special wrapped package, receiving heat from the crowd.

Estrada: Ladies and gentlemen! I am joor General Manager off ECW, Arrrrmando Estrrrada, and I would like to present to joo... da Two Thousand and Eight King of the Ring.... ALL HAIL... KING... JOHN... MORRISON!

And the King does indeed arrive, wearing a red and gold cloak on his back and holding the crown in his hand. In sloooomooooooooooooooo Morrison holds the crown high before being joined by his... page or something, The Miz. The WWE Tag Team Champions strut to the ring to the boos of the crowd, while Estrada applauds the two of them in the ring. Morrison steps inside, holding his crown high again, then sits on the throne. Estrada smiles, and the Miz pushes down on his hat, forcing him to one knee while Morrison, LIKE MAGIC, produces a microphone.

Morrison: Rise, Armando Estrada... you are worthy to stand before the Shaman of Sexy, the Guru of Greatness, and now... the King of Extreme, John Morrison.

Estrada nervously begins to stand up.

Morrison: ...nnnnnnnnnno, on second thought, I'm not digging that. Kneel again.

Miz once again pushes Estrada down by the hat.

Morrison: My name is John Morrison, and today I reign from you on high, looking down from the palace of wisdom as the 2008 King of the Ring, and I say to you... I will be like no other king before me. Oh, some of you may doubt that claim. You haters of the throne may balk and say that I lack the pedigree of King Harley Race, the wealth of King Ted DiBiase... the bulk of King Mabel. But where King Harley Race was a many-time world champion, I have also held world championships. Grand Mizard, how many world championships have I won?

Miz: Uh... just one, Your Extreme-cellency.

Morrison: One... one.

Morrison holds up one finger, nodding slyly.

Morrison: But all great lines have to start somewhere. And though Ted DiBiase is a legend of the ring and the Million Dollar Man, phony Million Dollar Titles are not welcome in the palace of wisdom. And where DiBiase had his Virgil, I too have my Grand Mizard at my side, to counsel and protect.

The Miz bows with a flourish in an almost King Hunter Hearst Helmsley-esque fashion.

Morrison: And while I may never reach the pure mass of King Mabel, all of the dwellers in the palace of wisdom know that, as your king, I vow never to disappear from television, to take my shirt off, to don suspenders, to change my name, and to suddenly expect you all to act like you've never seen me before. This is my vow. This... is... my... vow.

Morrison looks down at Estrada, who is still holding the gift and is down on one knee.

Morrison: Rise, General Manager Estrada, and present your tidings to your king.

Estrada raises his head, opening his present for Morrison. Inside is a long wooden box, which the Miz opens to reveal Morrison's scepter... and five fine Cuban cigars. Morrison takes the cigars and sniffs them, then does the same to the scepter. He taps Estrada on the head with the scepter.

Morrison: Stand. Your king accepts your gift, and you find favor in his eyes.

Estrada stands and smiles, motioning to King Morrison to the boos of the crowd.

Morrison: Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time in the history of the WWE, a king has assumed the throne who will represent you with style, with poise, with panache, and with wisdom. With this crown and with this scepter, I will bring law to the barbarian kingdom of ECW, and I vow that no man who opposes me will g--

BOOOOOOOOM!

The explosion! The dimming of the lights! The irrational face pop! Ye gods it's the ECW Champion, Kane! As Kane stalks to the ring all huge, the Miz and Estrada hide behind Morrison's throne, while the king leans back, taking his scepter in his hand. As Kane steps over the rope, Morrison continues to look surprisingly confident, even as the champion slowly walks toward him with that demented Kane look in his eyes.

And then King MOrrison throws his favorite Miz at him!

Morrison reaches behind the throne for Miz, then thrusts him toward Kane. Morrison puts up his fists, while Kane stalks closer... then Goozles the hell out of him! Kane hoists the Miz high...

...and King Morrison springs into action, cracking Kane on the back with the scepter!

THe lights return to normal as Morrison puts the boots to Kane, who's hunched over. The Miz nails a kick to the face, but Kane appears to be slowly standing up, even as his attackers advance. Morrison, however, manages to leap onto Kane's back, strangling him with the scepter. It isn't long before Morrison has Kane on the mat, and both the King of the Ring and his Grand Mizard put the hurtin' to Kane. King Morrison drops to the ground, getting close to Kane's face to taunt him.

AND KANE GRABS MORRISON BY THE NECK!

Seemingly unfazed by the attack, Kane stands up with his hand around Morrison's neck. The Miz tries to attack, but Kane grabs him by the throat as well, then plants both men with a monstrous double-chokeslam! The ECW Champion picks the scepter up from the ground, then throws it on the broken body of King Morrison, a sick and sadistic smile on his face...

================================================================================

Entry #2:

WWE Monday Night Raw

April 21, 2008 - Greenville, SC

Setting the Stage. . .

Jim Ross: Ladies and gentleman, welcome to a special three hour edition of Monday Night Raw! Tonight it's sure to be an explosive one as Raw plays host to the first ever tri-branded King of the Ring Tournament!

Lillian Garcia: Ladies and gentleman the following contest is scheduled for one fall and it is a first round 2008 King of the Ring Tournament match! Making his way to the ring at this time, from Cameron North Carolina and weighing in at 236 pounds, he is the WWE United States Champion... Maaaatt Hardy!

"Tick. Tock. Tick. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. One Two, ya hear the clock tickin'? Tick-tock, You about to stop living. Tick-tock, I want you to remember me. Tick-tock, but the day don't have no memory. I'm coming!"

Jerry Lawler: Look at this JR, it looks like it's going to be Matt Hardy taking on his old enemy MVP here in the opening match of the King of the Ring.

Jim Ross: And if history is anything to go by King, we should be in for one hell of a contest here.

Inside of the ring MVP and Matt Hardy jostle for position, presumably toward the end of the contest as can be told by the amount of sweat and sheer exhaustion on their faces. MVP swings Hardy around and goes to whip him into the ropes, but instead Hardy reverses the momentum and MVP takes the ride. Bouncing back Matt goes for a clothesline and misses as MVP ducks it and puts on the breaks. Hardy turns around right into a kick to the gut and MVP sets him up for the sure fire match ender.

Jim Ross: MVP looking for the Playmaker... No! Hardy counters! He's up... Twist of Fate! Hardy with the Twist of Fate!

Crowd: One! Two! Three!

Jerry Lawler: (chuckling) Matt wins! Matt wins! Matt wins!

Jerry Lawler: I can't believe this JR! The audacity of JBL to come out here and attack young D.H. Smith like that is unbelievable, and then he hijacks his place in this tournament!

Jim Ross: I don't like it anymore than you do King, but we still don't know who JBL's opponent is right now...

"Weeeeeeeeeeell It's The Biiiig Show!"

Jim Ross: Oh my King! Bradshaw might be regretting it now, he has to face the largest athlete in the world!

Jerry Lawler: Look at that look on JBL's face!

After being dominated for the majority of the match, JBL claws at the ropes attempting to use them as leverage to pull himself back up to his feet. Meanwhile the Big Show lets out a war cry like yell, raising his opened first in the air for the signal that can mean only one thing; The Choke Slam. But as JBL gets to his feet, Show's attention is diverted by The Great Khali who marches methodically down the ramp and stares at the World's Largest Athlete. Show asks Khali to "Come get him some" but as has been the case for the past few weeks, Khali instead shouts something incomprehendable and turns to walk away. Show just shakes his head and turns back around.

Jim Ross: Oh my! Bradshaw just rocked Show with that Clothesline From Hell!

But that only dazes Show, and Bradshaw runs the ropes once more before unleashing another Clothesline From Hell that knocks the Big Show to his knees. A Final time, JBL delivers a sickening Clothesline From Hell that puts the big man on the canvas, and the self proclaimed 'Wrestling God' makes the cover to score the three count.

Lillian Garcia: Ladies and gentleman here is your winner, John 'Bradshaw' Layfield!

Santino Marella: So Carlito, Santino is just-ah wondering... what will you do when you become the King of all da WWE, ah? What will your Royal high-ah-ness do for Santino Marrella?

Carlito: What will Carlito do when he becomes da King of the Ring? What Carlito always does, be cool. And then... then Carlito's going to buy you a new jacket or something, cause that... that's not cool.

Jim Ross: Raw's Carlito taking on the number one contender to the ECW Title, Chavo Guerrero here, and both Santino Marrella and Big Bam Neely are on the outside supporting their partners.

A good portion into the action, in the somewhat strange heel versus heel match, and Carlito and Chavo are seemingly running out of ways to try and out-cheat one another. Chavo kicks Carlito in the gut and seats himself at the middle rope. As Carlito stumbles around, Santino looks to interfere in the match but Bam Neely's imposing figure stares down the Italian star who thinks otherwise and retreats back to his side of the ring. Chavo jumps off the ropes looking for a Missile dropkick, but Carlito moves out of the way. Chavo is up, and Carlito nails him with the Backstabber! Bam Neely looks to get involved, but Santino runs around to where he is before pulling down the big man's slacks! Neely thrashes to pull his trousers back up as Santino sprints around the ring and Carlito picks up the win. Santino comes in and raises Carlito's hand, celebrating ecstatically.

Lillian Garcia: Your winner, and advancing in the King of the Ring Tournament, Caaaarlito!

Jim Ross: By God, I might call that one an upset King!

Jerry Lawler: I don't like the looks of this, JR. I've been impressed by this young Kofi Kingston on ECW as of late but this is just too much. He's giving up at least a hundred pounds to the Samoan Bulldozer in this...

Jim Ross: Ugh! My god, a sickening Samoan Drop from Umaga! He's going to break this kid in half!

Umaga stalks Kofi in the ring as he uses the ropes to pull himself up. Umaga goes for a headbutt, but Kofi drops down and crawls through the hefty Samoan's legs. Kofi gets to his feet and shows major leap with a dropkick that rocks the big man back and against the ropes. He puts in a few punches, but Umaga grows tired of it and smashes both hands against the sides of the Jamaican superstars head, forcing him to stumble backwards. Umaga lets out a scream, and sandwiches Kofi into the corner, knocking him down into seated position. He goes to the other side, and stalks the young man before screaming once again and charging full speed for the hip smash - but Kofi moves! Umaga smashes into the unforgiving corner and stumbles out as Kofi is back to his feet. He leaps up -

Jim Ross: Trouble in Paradise! Kingston connects with that Martial Arts kick right to the head of Umaga! Cover him kid, cover him!

Jerry Lawler: What an upset, JR! I tell ya, I am impressed with this kid.

Jim Ross: A huge victory for Kofi Kingston over Umaga as we head into the second round of the King of the Ring tournament here on Monday Night Raw!

Jim Ross: Both of these guys have a lot to prove here King, they have to do whatever it takes... a win here moves either Carlito or Matt Hardy one step closer to becoming King of the Ring.

Jerry Lawler: Oh, would you look at this! JR, it was only a matter of time before this guy stuck his nose into the match.

Santino jumps up onto the ring apron as Matt Hardy stalks a grounded Carlito and calls for the Twist of Fate. Santino's shenanigans are enough to draw Hardy's attention, and the US Champion demands that Santino get off of the apron. Santino argues back, and as he does so, Carlito returns to his feet and charges Hardy. Matt however, moves out of the way just in time forcing Carlito to knock Santino to the floor! Carlito turns to Hardy and its a kick to the gut followed by the Twist of Fate!

Lillian Garcia: Ladies and gentlemen, here is your winner and advancing to the King of the Ring finals... Matt Haaardy!

Jim Ross: Hardy with a golden opportunity here, who will join him in the finals?

John Bradshaw Layfield: Listen to it kid, these people are... chanting... your name. Go ahead Kofi listen to it, soak it up! But make no mistake about it Kofi, they're not chanting your name because they believe in ya kid. No, it was a feel good moment. Ya see you got lucky. You're lucky that you made it this far. But THIS is where that luck ends. Make no mistake about it Kofi, you're not in the ring with Umaga now. No, you're in the ring with a far bigger deal than the Samoan Bulldozer. I AM JOHN BRADSHAW LAYFIELD! I am Thee... Main... Event! I'm a Wrestling God, and rest assured that I'm not gonna let some punk kid like you keep me from my crow - - -

Jerry Lawler: Woah! What a shot from Kofi Kingston!

Jim Ross: I think he'd heard enough King...

A quick cut to the action shows a match predominantly controlled by JBL, but the fighting spirit of the young rookie is not to be denied. After a Fall Away Slam, JBL signals that the match is nearing its end and look for a Clothesline From Hell when Kofi returns to his feet. Kofi does so and as JBL charges, he's able to divert the move at just the right time. JBL turns to face and is quickly rolled up into a small package!

Jim Ross: He could do it here! One! Two! No! JBL kicks out!

The crowd sighs as JBL rolls over and and returns to his feet. Kofi and JBL exchnge some fists back and fourth before Kofi is sent into the ropes, and JBL bounces off as well. What comes next is a SICKENING Clothesline From Hell that forces Kofi to do a backflip on the way down to crashing on the mat. JBL covers and the three count is made.

Lillian Garcia: Your winner, and advancing to the finals of the 2008 King of the Ring Tournament... John Bradshaw Layfield!

Jerry Lawler: You have to hand it to this kid Kofi Kingston JR, he gave it everything he had but it just wasn't enough to get by JBL.

Jim Ross: Indeed King, Kofi has nothing to be ashamed of. He did nothing but impress here tonight but it's JBL advancing to the finals to take on Matt Hardy. One of those men will be the 2008 King of the Ring!

The Pre-match Promo. . .

Later in the evening, it's time for the 2008 King of the Ring to be decided. 'Longhorn' begins to play and for the third time of the evening, John 'Bradshaw' Layfield makes his way to the ring; with white linen towel over his shoulders, sports coat on and a smug look on his face. JBL arrogantly gets in the ring, and after being introduced he takes the microphone from Lillian Garcia.

John Bradshaw Layfield: Greenville South Carolina, prepare to witness history in the making! For tonight, in just a few short moments, your WRESTLING GOD adds another distinction to his name. THAT OF YOUR KING!

The crowd boos as JBL stands, head raised toward the ceiling as he soaks it all in.

John Bradshaw Layfield: Let's see what makes me deserve this crown more than my opponent Matt Hardy, shall we? Well, then again, that list is so long I'll have to give you the abridged version. Reason one, I am a former WWE Champion,THE LONGEST REIGNING Champion in Smackdown history may I add. How many World Titles has Matt Hardy held? No, I'll do you one better. I'll do you one better. How many Pay Per Views has Matt Hardy headlined? I am a financial tycoon, known the over. Matt Hardy's claim to fame? He once had a fiery redhead who cheated on him...

JBL laughs to himself as he paces to the left a little bit, shaking his head as he gathers his next words.

John Bradshaw Layfield: Despite my obvious superiority, tonight Matt Hardy gets in the ring with J-B-L! And when all is said and done, it won't, IT WON'T be Matt Hardy walking out of this tournament with a crown on his head. No, he's going to have a goose egg the size of Texas on top of it instead after I clothesline him straight to Hell! And when he gets back to his little trailor park home somewhere in the slums of North Carolina, Matt Hardy is going to log onto to his little computer, and he's going to type on his little blog to his internet geek fans about the day that he came so close to meaning something in this business, but instead got knocked back down the card where he belongs by none other than YOUR - WRESTLING - GOD! Tonight Matt Hardy bows at the feet of greatness. Matt Hardy, you are not fit for a King. Matt Hardy you are - not - in - my - league!

One final arrogant smirk, and JBL brings up the microphone one last time.

John Bradshaw Layfield: But be rest assured, after I defeat Matt Hardy, in the tradition of Bret Hart, in the tradition of Stone Cold Steve Austin, in the tradition of Kurt Angle and other Kings before me; I will once again be WWE Champion. In fact, I'll do it in record time. Because, in just six days at Backlash it will be yours truly, you King of the Ring walking out of the Fatal Four Way Match the NEW WWE Champion! And that, is fitting of a King!

2008 King of the Ring Finals:

JOHN 'Bradshaw' LAYFIELD vs. WWE United States Champion MATT HARDY

'Ohhhhhh-oh Yeeeeah!'

The crowd comes to life as Monster Magnet's 'Live for the Moment' brings out the WWE United States Champion, flashing the 'V1' hand sign as he stands at the top of the ramp and looks at the Royal Throne that is set up beside the stage. Matt Hardy then adjusts the United States Championship on his shoulder and looks at JBL with a focused glare enroute to the ring. Hardy points at JBL, mouthing what is sure to be obscenities after JBL's discouraging words toward the Carolina native.

Lillian announces Matt's entrance for a third and final time as Hardy climbs up the steps and into the ring. Matt hands off the United States belt to the referee as the man with a WWE Title Shot ahead of him in just six days, JBL stares from across the ring with a cocky smirk. The bell sounds and Hardy begins to circle Bradshaw a bit, attempting to create an oppening of sorts. JBL though, squares off to Hardy and when Matt finally goes in for a tie up, the former bar room brawler just clobbers Hardy with a vicious forearm to the back. One more, and Hardy drops to his knee wincing in pain. JBL quickly applies a side headlock onto the US Champion and begins squeezing the fight out of him.

As J.R. and 'The King' discuss the obvious size difference between the two competitors, the fans begin to rally behind Matt as he uses a combination of elbows and punches to JBL's side to break the near vice like grip. He does so, sending Bradshaw into the ropes. JBL rebounds off and looks for a clothesline, but Hardy ducks and runs the ropes himself. As JBL and Matt both bounce back in what has all of the making for a collission course, Matt launches himself with a cross body - and gets caught! JBL sloppily stumbles a few moments, but regains his composure and tosses Matt like a ragdoll, overhead with a fall-away slam!

Moments later, Matt has crawled over to the corner and he uses the ropes to pull himself up. JBL sees this, and walks over before unloading with a series of disgustingly harsh rights and lefts - right to Hardy's head. Hardy fires back with two, and manages to take a few steps out of the corner. He doesn't get far though as JBL connects with another right hand - this time dropping Hardy like a bad habit. JBL unleashes a series of three elbow drops before covering Hardy. One! Two! Hardy kicks out!

With the commentating now putting over Hardy's desire to win, Matt makes a short attempt at a comeback as he suckers JBL in for yet another brawling exchange, but kicks him in the gut and follows it up with a DDT. Hardy rips out his hair tie and calls JBL on furiously. JBL gets up and Matt launches himself at him, leaping into the air and bringing a fist down right across the bridge of Bradshaw's nose. Layfield falls back down, thrashing a bit before rolling out to the floor. Any Hardy fan can see that this means trouble for a happless wanderer outside of the ring and Hardy doesn't disappoint as he launches himself over the top rope and onto JBL, knocking him to the ground. Matt, with an adrenaline rush rips off his shirt and tosses it into the crowd before grabbing JBL and rolling him back into the ring.

Matt rolls in as well, and climbs to the second rope. He busts out the Hardy 'guns' hand sign and leaps off with a legdrop - that connects with nothing but the cold hard canvas! JBL had moved out of the way, and once he's to his feet he's arrogantly demanding for Hardy to 'Get up! Come on Hardy!' Matt gets up and does charge, but JBL moves out of the way and in the process, Hardy knocks down the referee. JBL grabs hold of Matt's left arm, and pulls him in - nearly taking his head off with a Clothesline From Hell!

Layfield looks like he wants to make the cover then and there, but with the referee out he instead finds it a better idea to inflict more punishment on the United States Champion. JBL rolls to the outside and demands for Lillian to get out of the way before taking her chair and folding it up. Bradshaw tosses the chair into the ring and rolls in himself. He picks up foreign object, and with the referee still out, JBL calls for Hardy to get up once again. That is when, seemingly out of nowhere, JBL is hit with the RKO! He still had the chair in hand! Randy Orton, the WWE Champion had slid into the ring, and, in JR's words, 'exacted some revenge on JBL for the way JBL ended RAW last week in the UK, with Clotheslines From Hell to both Orton and Triple H!'

Randy, in jeans and a t-shirt, picks up the WWE Title he'd layed on the apron and points at it, and then at JBL. With a pissed off look on his face, Orton walks to the back as Hardy regains his composure.

Matt pulls himself up by the ropes, and in looking around seems a bit confused, but nevertheless takes it as he gets it. The referee has regained his composure as well and Bradshaw groggily gets to his feet. Matt measures him up, kicks JBL in the gut and hooks his head between his arm. Matt screams out as he always does, and the fans are cheering as Hardy twists around and connects with The Twist of Fate! Matt covers.

Lillian Garcia: Ladies and Gentlemen, here is your 2008 King of the Ring. . . Maaaatt Hardy!

Regardless of whether it was a tainted victory or not, Matt Hardy celebrates happily as he's picked up one of the biggest wins of his career. Matt celebrates in the ring for a few minutes before heading up the ramp. Once at the top, he checks out the throne that is now his, and JR claims that next week on RAW we will see a coronation ceremony him. A quick cut back to the ring shows JBL has come to his senses and is holding his head. He doesn't look the least bit happy as he scowls into the camera.

WWE Monday Night Raw

April 28, 2008 - East Rutherford, NJ

The Coronation of a King. . .

When WWE RAW returns from commercial break, the Royal throne is set up in the ring, and the arena is darkened except for a spotlight that shines of the setup. Shortly thereafter, Monster Magnet's 'Live for the Moment' hits, and Matt Hardy burst out onto the stage flashing the V1 hand signal as the fans give him a nice reception. Hardy, with the US Title over his shoulder the ring where Lillian Garcia is standing with Hardy's crown on display. Matt gets into the ring, looks around and mumbles something to Lillian - all smiles, and takes a seat in his throne. Lillian picks up the crown and shows it off a little before placing it on top of Hardy's head.

Lillian Garcia: Ladies and gentlemen, your 2008 King of the Ring, Maaaatt Hardy!

As the fan applaud once again, Matt sits up from his throne and asks for the microphone from Lillian.

Matt Hardy: Thank you Lillian, thanks a lot. Firstly, I just want to thank you people out there for supporting me through the years, you have no idea how much that means to me. Wow, I can't even believe it, I am the King of the Ring! This, it really means a lot to me and it really means a lot to my career. Growing up, my brother Jeff and I only dreamed of making it big in the WWE. After numerous Tag Team Title, *looks down at the US Title hanging over his shoulder* singles titles, and now the 2008 King of the Ring, man I AM truly living my dream. It just goes to show you, never give up, never back down, don't lose sight of your dreams and truly, live for the moment. Thank you everyone, thank you for believing in Matt Hardy and I promise you I am going to be the best King of the Ring that can possibly - -

"Woah, woah! Someone say what! Woah! Woah! Somebody gonna get their ass kicked! Woah!"

Jim Ross: That's, that's the World's Strongest Man Mark Henry, what business does he have coming out here?

Jerry Lawler: I don't know JR, but as you say it looks like business has just picked up.

Hardy looks annoyed at the interruption, while Lillian does what she should do - get the hell out of the ring. Henry takes his time before getting into the ring. His music dies down and he simply stares Hardy down.

Matt Hardy: Can I help you wi - -

Henry harshly snatches the microphone out of Matt's hand, and shakes his head seemingly in disgust.

Mark Henry: So you the King of the Ring, huh? Well lemme tell ya somethin, MATT. Da ONLY REASON you wearin' that crown right now, is 'coz da WORLDS - STRONGEST - MAN got overlooked. I GOT LEFT OUT! And ya know what else Matt Hardy, YOU AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT A DAMN JOKE!

Hardy mouth's 'Oh yeah,' before taking the microphone and butting it right in the face of the World's Strongest Man! Mark Henry stumbles backwards and Hardy, like a man possessed barrages the 400 pounder with a flurry of rights and lefts. However after taking a substantial amount of punishment, a short arm clothesline sees Henry clobber Hardy to the ground. Mark then shows his amazing strength by picking up the heavy thrown and tossing it over the ropes and out to the floor! Henry waits for Matt to get up to his feet, and charges at him, sandwiching him in the corner - or at least he tried to as Matt moved out of the way. Henry stumbles backwards and Matt picks up his King of the Ring crown before measuring up the World's Strongest Man and - no pun intended - crowing him with it! Henry, like a giant redwood just cut down, slowly falls to the mat and is out. 'Live for the Moment' picks up once again and Matt Hardy - your 2008 King of the Ring celebrates as RAW goes to commercial.

King of the Ring Tournament Results:

Quarterfinals:

Kofi Kingston def. Umaga

John Bradshaw Layfield def. The Big Show

Matt Hardy def. Montel Vontavious Porter

Carlito def. Chavo Guerrero

Semi-Finals:

Matt Hardy def. Carlito

John Bradshaw Layfield def. Kofi Kingston

Finals:

Matt Hardy def. John Bradshaw Layfield

Alright, I have read both of these (both in class and at home now) and while I can easily tell who wrote which one (I am looking at you Sousa!), I liked both of them very much. They both had viable winners to the KOTR, as both men could have easily used the push in the current time frame and both were pretty well booked during it as well as per the rules.

But, I would have to say #1 is the winner. For one, I like the style it was written in much, much more. But thats more of a personal thing. Secondly, I liked his Corination cermony much more and the winner of the KOTR for that matter. I think it was better written towards the rules where he gets something and then uses it and dosen't really hide it that much, where as to me in #2, I had to read it quite a few times to get what his present was and then how he got the crap beat of him for it (I was really hoping that Matt would have thrown into the throne, but beggers can't be choosers).

I think Morrison getting the victory in the KOTR would have a been a better use for it as opposed to Matt who is already semi-established and winning the current day KOTR might not help him as much as it would have back in the hayday of the KOTR.

And to add something to #2, I really, really loved your JBL promo. I think it was perfectly spot on for his character and has to be one of the better promos I have read this year. If we could nominate for the end of the year awards, I totally would put it up next to Sousa's Arn Anderson promo any day of the week.

Thanks a lot--I had a great time, and I really, really liked your entry. Aside from the winner. But at least Mark Henry showed up.

And thanks to everyone who voted for my incredibly obvious entry.

In closing... really now, Air Biscuit? Come on, Wikipedia, that can't be right.