2008/09 NCAA Basketball Thread

JStarr

I admit to a west coast bias, but I don't make excuses and whine about losses. Its just sports, dude.

If you feel the need, go ahead and go look for posts where I whine about losses, you won't find many, if any, and if you do, they'll likely be older than dirt.

Anyway, if Nova has home court, its because UCLA didn't do enough in the regular season to be in the west. They're a young team, if they stay together for another year or two they'll get that NC that has eluded them in recent years.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland State and Wake Forest can all go to hell.

This x 1000. In the big-money pool at my wife's office, I made the bonehead decision to pick West Virginia and Wake as the Midwest finalists. So, that one's totally boned. While they're at it, they need to make a little room for Ohio State. Some people need to learn to come back to the ball when the guy coming upcourt picks up his dribble and gets double-team trapped all to hell, and not make him throw an arcing rainbow pass across court. VP, you're partially right about that game...the OT's were awesome, regulation was uglier than Schlitz-vomit-covered bowling shoes.

And what the hell was up with the douche for Florida State who hoists a 25-footer with 13 left in the game, 12 left on the shot clock, AND A ONE-POINT LEAD? Jeebus, I'm all for equal opportunities for the short-bus kids, but shouldn't they only come in during blowouts?

Day 2 of the NCAA Tournament...driving me to drink since 1988. Costing me money since about 1994 or so.

Yeah, okay, I was 10 in 1988 and didn't start drinking that early, but still, it was a pretty infuriating tournament. I'll still bust out a "Fuck Mitch Richmond" every now and then.

This x 1000. In the big-money pool at my wife's office, I made the bonehead decision to pick West Virginia and Wake as the Midwest finalists. So, that one's totally boned. While they're at it, they need to make a little room for Ohio State. Some people need to learn to come back to the ball when the guy coming upcourt picks up his dribble and gets double-team trapped all to hell, and not make him throw an arcing rainbow pass across court. VP, you're partially right about that game...the OT's were awesome, regulation was uglier than Schlitz-vomit-covered bowling shoes.

And what the hell was up with the douche for Florida State who hoists a 25-footer with 13 left in the game, 12 left on the shot clock, AND A ONE-POINT LEAD? Jeebus, I'm all for equal opportunities for the short-bus kids, but shouldn't they only come in during blowouts?

Day 2 of the NCAA Tournament...driving me to drink since 1988. Costing me money since about 1994 or so.

Yeah, okay, I was 10 in 1988 and didn't start drinking that early, but still, it was a pretty infuriating tournament. I'll still bust out a "Fuck Mitch Richmond" every now and then.

I rather enjoyed the first two days myself. :)

And I believe that short-bus kid you're referencing is Toney Douglas. Can't really put the blame on him, he was told to run the clock and then run an isolation. He just happened to lose control and had to heave one instead of driving. I was more disappointed with Kichen, who had two key turnovers (one trying to call timeout while jumping out of bounds, one on a drive to the hole) for FSU than anything else.

Cleveland State's a game I should have gotten. Just like ND State earlier in the day, a team with a lot of senior leadership going up against an inconsistent school. But whatever, props to them. They match up well with Arizona and could very easily find themselves in the sweet sixteen at this point.

Go back and check history, has a 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 seed all advanced from the same region? Good times.

We were getting Michigan State's decimation of Robert Morris until the last few minutes of that game, then it was back and forth between Sienna/Ohio Start, or FSU/Wisconsin.

I was also glad to see the Wolverines win their game, especially since they've had such a long drought in the tourney. Manny Harris was quite fun to watch in that game. They play Oklahoma, which according to the rankings, is probably going to be the Wolverings last game of the year. Still, you never know.

Funny, everyone else I know who had a bracket that year always lets "Fuck Danny Manning" slip out.

I'm the only person in my pool that picked Cleveland State over Wake Forest. In fact, I have them in the Sweet 16 losing to Louisville, but I also had West Virginia in the Elite 8, so that fucked up my bracket entirely. But after the first round, I always just start enjoying the games themselves, such as the overtimes last night, except for the fact my Ohio State got knocked out. Oh well, go Vikings!

I was lucky enough to get off of work in time to watch the end of regulation of the Wisconsin/FSU game and then mid of the first OT for Ohio St/Siena.

Wisconsin is the type of team that may be able to do a bit of damage as they're a defensive minded team and if Bohannon and Hughes can hit the three's like they were last night, they could beat Xavier and perhaps give Pitt a run for their money.

Le sigh...

Being at works sucks when Purdue's fighting for their tourney lives. Sadly, judging by the numbers, Jon Brockman was able to eat JuJuan Johnson's lunch on the boards, which leads me to believe that Hasheem Thabeet will, in fact, eat JuJuan Johnson FOR lunch in the Sweet 16. Good on JJJ dropping 25 points, though.

Wish I'd have gotten to see it, even though that second half seemed like it would have made me gray before my time. <_<

Sorry for the double post, but this needed a bump

Dominic James was cleared to play and he is going to try to come back today against Missouri, so if he bounces back well, they could make a run to Final Four

Sorry for the double post, but this needed a bump

Dominic James was cleared to play and he is going to try to come back today against Missouri, so if he bounces back well, they could make a run to Final Four

This surprised me, too. As if most of my brackets weren't already dead horses, Mizzou losing would pretty much cut off the heads and shit down the necks.

So the Final 4 is Michigan St., UCONN, Nova, and UNC, and I will stick to my gut and say Nova will win (even though I'm rooting for State). But in other news, Seth Curry is transferring to Duke now