Album of the year

Liam

I agree 800% with Grifter. That album is amazing, and the title track is one of the catchiest songs I've heard all year. DIG YOURSELF

LAZARUS

DIG YOURSELF

RIGHT BACK INTO THAT HOLE!

My shortlist of Album of the Year candidates:

Volume One - She and Him

Rockferry - Duffy

Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow

The Anti Mother - Norma Jean

Intervals - See You Next Tuesday

Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace - The Offspring

All Hope is Gone - Slipknot

Fear Before - Fear Before

Ghost of the Saltwater Machines - Architect

The Fathomless Mastery - Bloodbath

Honorable Mentions:

You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into - Does it Offend You, Yeah? (great stuff but not great enough)

This is Exile - Whitechapel (too bad only half the album is good)

Servile Insurrection - Severed Saviour (the jazzy and folk interludes ruin it for me)

Narrow Stairs - Death Cab For Cutie (just too man good albums came out after this)

United Nations - United Nations (see above)

On the opposite side of things these were my biggest disappointments:

The March - Unearth (how the hell did this band go from something awesome like "The Oncoming Storm to this shit)

Dystopia - Beneath The Massacre (maybe my expectations were too high, it just wasn't good)

Edited by Omelets

I might need to give it another listen, but I didn't like Dig! Lazarus! Dig!...I love Dark Saint Nick as much as, probably more than, the next man....but to me it just felt like Nick Cave does The Doors, followed by Nick Cave does The Stooges....too much cocksure RAWK and not enough genuine Nick Cave brilliance. It felt like Grinderman part 2, not a new Bad Seeds album.

I think its almost too obvious that EWB will give it to Gaslight Anthem just based on the number of people who've bought it. They're the Westlife of EWB...

But yeah, of CD's I've bought this year:

Gaslight Anthem...

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?

Lightspeed Champion - Falling Off the Lavender Bridge

Neon Neon - Stainless Style

The Music - Strength in Numbers

Late of the Pier - Fantasy Black Channel

Vampire Weekend

Santogold

And an unlikely candidate for me: The Automatic - This is a Fix. With the loss of the yelpy one and the gain of Northern oomph from the fella from yourcodenameis:milo this really is an ace album, helps me forget the decline of Hundred Reasons and the near disappearance of Hell is for Heroes a little. Download 'This Ship' and give it a go.

Honourable mention to Hot Club de Paris, a band I truly adore but their new album just wasn't up to the standards of Drop it Til it Pops. Still tremendous live though.

I think I've listened to more new music this year than any other year. So yeah.

Honorable mentions: Deerhunter(Never Stops = the shit), Tallest Man on Earth, She & Him, Pedal on Our Pirate Ships, Los Campesinos, Okkervil River, Paper Airplanes, British Sea Power(some of these were haaaaaard to not put on.)

10. Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke - HEY! You're plaaaaaaaying with my del-iriuuuuuuuuuum, STOP! playiiiiiing with my deli-riummmmmmmmmmmm. Best indie pop like, ever. <_<

9. Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin - Pershing - Wonderfulness!

8. Why? - Alopecia - Best rap album like, ever.

7. I'm From Barcelona - Who Killed Harry Houdini? - This is a lovely indie pop album.

6. Evangelicals - The Evening Descends - Loved it.

5. TV On The Radio - Dear Science - Wonderful album, at first wasn't good. Then DLZ seemed quite wonderful, then album seemed quite wonderful.

4. Of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping - After it grew on me was wonderful.

3. Magnetic Fields - Distortion

2. Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend - Siiiick shit. That is all.

1. The Dodos - Visiter - THE shit. Park Song + Winter + like everything = amazing.