The Inevitable January Transfer Market Topic

Crybaby Bunting

Chimbonda's off to Spurs again, having a medical.

And Kyle was awesome. I remember morons at my old school "LOL who's your best player!? Kevin Kyle!?" And i swear I got this "haha, Kevin Kyle... his surname is just a first name." Yes, someone actually used that as bait against Kevin Kyle to me.

Ugh.

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell? Are Spurs trying to buy back last years squad or something?

I wonder if the FA will agree to the paperwork... being about half a year since he was at his former club, they pissed about enough as it was with Defoe and that was nearly a year since he moved to Pompy.

I wonder if the FA will agree to the paperwork... being about half a year since he was at his former club, they pissed about enough as it was with Defoe and that was nearly a year since he moved to Pompy.

He can't play for 3 clubs in any given season. If he didn't play for Spurs this year, there's jack shit they can do. I don't see why they want him back though, he wasn't *that* good and there are better players around that will command similar fees.

He can't play for 3 clubs in any given season. If he didn't play for Spurs this year, there's jack shit they can do. I don't see why they want him back though, he wasn't *that* good and there are better players around that will command similar fees.

Spurs had to ask the Premier League, or the FA, one or the other, permission to sign Defoe because he'd played for us less than a year ago or something. Not sure of the actual ruling but they seemed pretty happy to let him come back.

As for Chimbonda, presuming the fee isn't massive, it's probably just for some defensive cover. Hutton's out long-term, we always seem to have one or more centre backs injured which usually means Corluka covering central defence which leaves us short at right back with only Gunter. Not a bad move, and I always thought he was a good player for Spurs, just the kind of attacking full back we like, plus he can play left back too for when we need Bale in midfield and Assou-Ekotto's suspended :shifty:

The Defoe case was a non-issue, it was just reported in an exaggerated fashion. You can't transfer back to the same club within a year - Defoe signed for Pompey on deadline day last year and Spurs signed him back about two weeks before the anniversary. The FA/PL didn't really quibble over a couple of weeks, especially when it was clear there was no abuse of the transfer system involved.

Edited by -A-

The Defoe case was a non-issue, it was just reported in an exaggerated fashion. You can't transfer back to the same club within a year - Defoe signed for Pompey on deadline day last year and Spurs signed him back about two weeks before the anniversary. The FA/PL didn't really quibble over a couple of weeks, especially when it was clear there was no abuse of the transfer system involved.

So by that definition then there's really no way that Chimbonda would be able to sign for Spurs...

Unless they argue that, despite him being on the field, he never actually "played" for Spurs since last November <_<

They might still allow it. The reason that rule is in place is to stop clubs from classifying loans as permanent transfers to get around the limits on loan players. I don't think those restrictions even exist in the PL - and even if they do, they won't really apply for this transfer. I think the other reason is because they're opposed to 'Buy Back' clauses in contracts, but I'm not sure on that part.

Edited by -A-

Spurs had to ask the Premier League, or the FA, one or the other, permission to sign Defoe because he'd played for us less than a year ago or something. Not sure of the actual ruling but they seemed pretty happy to let him come back.

As for Chimbonda, presuming the fee isn't massive, it's probably just for some defensive cover. Hutton's out long-term, we always seem to have one or more centre backs injured which usually means Corluka covering central defence which leaves us short at right back with only Gunter. Not a bad move, and I always thought he was a good player for Spurs, just the kind of attacking full back we like, plus he can play left back too for when we need Bale in midfield and Assou-Ekotto's suspended :shifty:

Oh yeah, it's different for the same club - I forgot. I remember now, because there was a big fuss when Robinson was loaned back to Leeds in our relegation season. I'm not sure what the rule is, to be honest, but I imagine it will go through because it's obviously not an abuse of the transfer system.

3 mil means that we've actually made money out of him. Huzzah says I!

Anyway I'm no fan of Chimbonda and his mercenary ways but I can't afford to be picky and he provides great cover at the back to free up Corluka to cover the centre. He's not afraid to get forward either and will support Lennon well I think in the same was Corluka has been doing. When Hutton is back fit we'll actually be quite solid at right back again which will be nice.

The Jones rumours are still persisting and I quite fancy it. Bent got his goals early on but he's not been impressive DESPITE all the goals and it seems his style of play doesn't work with Defoe according to training rumours, and Defoe is more important to Harry. Defoe, Pavyluchenko and Jones as the main three wouldn't be too bad at all actually as Pav is starting to get up to speed.

The other rumour is that Chelsea will let Cudicini leave on a free transfer to Spurs as a thanks for the years he's put in as their number two keeper. That would be pretty much perfect actually.

If those three signings go through we'll be in a much stronger place squad-wise than we were at the start of the window. Another generic defender would be nice though. Someone solid and dependable with experience and cheap. He doesn't have to be amazing, just strong cover.

BBC Sport rumours today.

Liverpool striker Robbie Keane is getting plenty of attention in Monday's papers after he stayed away from Anfield for the 1-1 FA Cup draw against Everton.

The future of the £20m Republic of Ireland star is increasingly uncertain and on Sunday he endured the humiliation of Frenchman David Ngog replacing him on the bench. (The Sun and Daily Mail)

And guess who's back in town for showdown talks with manager Mark Hughes? Manchester City star Robinho flew into Manchester on Sunday after his controversial exit from Tenerife training to fly home. (The Sun and Daily Star)

Robinho to hold talks with City

With the January transfer deadline looming, Sunderland's Pascal Chimbonda is set to complete a £3m return to Tottenham. (The Sun)

Meanwhile, Spurs are ready to exchange Mexican star Giovani Dos Santos for Brazilian Fred. (Daily Mirror)

And keeper Carlo Cudicini may yet still move to Tottenham if Chelsea can find a replacement number two. (The Guardian)

Portsmouth boss Tony Adams is on the verge of a £4m offer for Newcastle's Joey Barton. (The Sun)

Wigan boss Steve Bruce is ready to write a cheque for £6m for Cardiff City's Joe Ledley. (Daily Mirror)

West Ham's Hayden Mullins is about to join Portsmouth for £1m. (The Sun)

Newcastle keeper Shay Given is set for a £10m move to Man City with officials meeting on Monday to tie up the deal. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland are up against the Premier League's top clubs in a race to sign Leeds midfield star Fabian Delph. (Various)

Martin O'Neill is keen to splash the cash with Aston Villa ready to offer £10m for Man City's Michael Johnson and Daniel Sturridge. (Daily Mirror)

Celtic boss Gordon Strachan is keen on Derby midfielder Paul Green with £1.5m a possible fee. (Various)

Celtic are also closing in on signing Cardiff City's midfielder Willo Flood from from under the noses of Dundee United, where he is currently on loan. (Various)

And Spartak Moscow's Czech defender Radoslav Kovac could also be on his way to Celtic, which could pave the way for a £4m switch for Stephen McManus to Newcastle. (Daily Record)

Clearly Keane will be returning to Spurs on the last day of the transfer window. Clearly.