A trading love-in

Played the demo, amazing. Started playing the game the other day, still amazing. That's coming from a person who detests first person mode as well. This somehow doesn't matter with this game, because it's so different and so out there, it's just one of those 'beautiful' games.

And for the record, I cant stand it when people judge a game on a fucking review :angry:

What's the alternative? Just pay 40 quid for every game that comes out and hope for the best? Not everyone has access to demos, hell, not every game has them.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played the demo, amazing. Started playing the game the other day, still amazing. That's coming from a person who detests first person mode as well. This somehow doesn't matter with this game, because it's so different and so out there, it's just one of those 'beautiful' games.

And for the record, I cant stand it when people judge a game on a fucking review :angry:

What's the alternative? Just pay 40 quid for every game that comes out and hope for the best? Not everyone has access to demos, hell, not every game has them.

I didn't mean it in that way. I meant in the people who go around and shit on a game based on a review. So they basically review the game themselves despite the fact they've never played it. I don't see how anybody can review or comment on a game if they haven't played it, isn't that simple? :/

Stock as in, what, pre-owned? That's crazy. You'd figure with all this 'OMG CREDIT CRUNCH' talk, people would be trading in games even more to either put towards new releases or just eat.

Or do you mean new releases? Do you get deliveries from Woolworths as well? :shifty:

Trouble is, with some people it's like they're expecting the full retail value back when they trade.

Yeah we'd have people come in with the original SSX on PS2, FIFA 04, Gran Tusimo 3 etc etc and we'd give them the trade price - pound for this, two pound for this, fifty pence for this (as we only sold them for a few pounds each anyway preowned) and they'd go mental.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! I PAID FORTY QUID FOR THIS GAME! FORTY POUNDS AND YOU'RE OFFERING ME TWO POUNDS! NO THANK YOU!"

Despite the fact you've had them for six years, played them to death and there's a suspicious stain on the inside of the case....

THe company does have to make money afterall (just sometimes tries to make more than I'm happy with).

When I was working for them I had to sign an agreement (we all had to) saying that I wouldn't badmouth them or their policies online. Well I don't work for them now and I'm over here in Japan so it's null and void :P

Yeah we'd have people come in with the original SSX on PS2, FIFA 04, Gran Tusimo 3 etc etc and we'd give them the trade price - pound for this, two pound for this, fifty pence for this (as we only sold them for a few pounds each anyway preowned) and they'd go mental.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! I PAID FORTY QUID FOR THIS GAME! FORTY POUNDS AND YOU'RE OFFERING ME TWO POUNDS! NO THANK YOU!"

Despite the fact you've had them for six years, played them to death and there's a suspicious stain on the inside of the case....

THe company does have to make money afterall (just sometimes tries to make more than I'm happy with).

When I was working for them I had to sign an agreement (we all had to) saying that I wouldn't badmouth them or their policies online. Well I don't work for them now and I'm over here in Japan so it's null and void :P

I don't believe I've ever seen such a thing. I'd have to believe if I did see something like that, I'd blatantly refuse to sign it. Although to be honest, we badmouth the store enough in-store, with the manager, so I doubt they'd really give much of a shit.

I got the game from J.

I must admit my heart has never been in quite a frenzy when I've been playing a game. Yeah there are some parts that were frustrating (working my way down and around the storm drain in level 3 for example) but nothing beats running for your life when chased by a bunch of cops you've got NO CHANCE of taking on. Bullets flying around you and risking crazy jumps to reach safety. Amazing.

Level 4 though so I guess I'm about half way through :P

I didn't mean it in that way. I meant in the people who go around and shit on a game based on a review. So they basically review the game themselves despite the fact they've never played it. I don't see how anybody can review or comment on a game if they haven't played it, isn't that simple? :/

Well, it is a reviewers job to REVIEW games and generally they are right. There's hundreds upon hundreds of games so they're bound to get some wrong, but when reviewers point out a game's flaws they're... well, they're right, especially if a lot of reviewers are saying the same thing. So, maybe that's why people can comment on a game they haven't played? Because reviewers are trusted in their opinions since it's their job and all.

Edited by Will!

I got the game from J.

I must admit my heart has never been in quite a frenzy when I've been playing a game. Yeah there are some parts that were frustrating (working my way down and around the storm drain in level 3 for example) but nothing beats running for your life when chased by a bunch of cops you've got NO CHANCE of taking on. Bullets flying around you and risking crazy jumps to reach safety. Amazing.

Level 4 though so I guess I'm about half way through :P

Cool, I was just wondering whether it would be there today. ^_^

I was just in Blockbuster Games and they were selling it for £24.99 in-store along with Fallout 3 (PS3), Far Cry 2 (360 & PS3), Mercenaries 2 (both), Brothers In Arms (both) and Prince Of Persia (360). I actually went in to get Dead Space which I'd seen at that same price the other day but it's back up to the full £40. I did get the Hitman Triple Pack for PC for 8 quid though, so I'm pleased with that.

So, the latest part of my "stuff in Mirror's Edge that is amazing" consists of a few things - firstly a few more crazy markout jumping moments

Particularly the jump from crane to crane while under fire and then leap onto the roof which the guy on the radio gets far too excited about...

Secondly when you stand close to a window, the glass hazes up from Faith's breathing.

Thirdly barging through a door or smashing through a pane of glass when you're being chased and not knowing what the hell is on the other side just isn't getting old at all. Amazing.

Oh and...

When you're riding on top of the subway train and it stops in the tunnel and you have to jump off it and charge back down the tracks to reach, and barge through the door before another train ploughs into you. Falling into the door and flipping around to see it just miss you was utterly thrilling.

So boo to the naysayers. This is game of the year material.

Moving away from Mirror's Edge and back to Gamestation, that shop can suck the balls sometimes though. I mean, I've bought games in, they've been on sale pre-owned in the shop for something akin to £30, maybe £32, and I've been offered £8-£10 for them. Fair enough, they are pre-owned, but when you can see that they are going to be whacked out in the shop for 300% the amount they gave you, its laughable.

Now, CEX sucks balls, but at least they give reasonable trade ins. I've stopped bothering taking my games to both shops, I just print off the CEX prices, and take them to Gamestation, where they match them. Seriously though, the last two times I went to both shops, I had £61 offered to me from CEX for a handful of games, and £18 from Gamestation, and another time was £71 CEX, £40 Gamestation. That last time, hell, even Game was offering £56 or something.

CEX give silly money because they mark the prices up way, way worse than Gamestation ever does. We often get asked why CEX are selling things like Tomb Raider Underworld at £48 when they're preowned and all we can do is shrug. People buy it though, I think a lot of people aren't aware that it's all preowned. They're petty bastards at work, they found out we check their website for pricematching, and they've blocked our computer from accessing their site. They've also stopped giving out printouts with trade prices.

CEX give silly money because they mark the prices up way, way worse than Gamestation ever does. We often get asked why CEX are selling things like Tomb Raider Underworld at £48 when they're preowned and all we can do is shrug. People buy it though, I think a lot of people aren't aware that it's all preowned. They're petty bastards at work, they found out we check their website for pricematching, and they've blocked our computer from accessing their site. They've also stopped giving out printouts with trade prices.

Yeah, they've done the same to with my local Gamestation.

The only thing I'd argue about with the prices is that at least what they pay out is somewhat relative to what they then mark it up to. Gamestation gives you shit money and then marks up the price horrendously, for the most part.

Though why CEX chooses to put prices of newly returned games up as high, or even higher, than what you'd buy them first hand from a shop like Gamestation beggars belief.

Yes, yes and fuck yes Hamster. All those moments are what makes this game. The whole train sequence is probably one of the most exciting pieces of a game I've ever played in fact.

As for trading in, I tend to just take it to CeX. AFAIK Gamestation and Game don't take in US Nintendo DS games and I have a few of them. And as you mentioned, you'll probably get a better price there anyway. As long as you compare prices before you go and don't get screwed by some of the abnormally high ones (£45 for a pre-owned Left 4 Dead when it's £39.99 new in Game and there's plenty of them?) then you can't go wrong. I tend to usually get DVDs with my credit anyway and only the occasional game when it's come down a bit. I was actually up there today trading in some DVDs and my US copy of Apollo Justice and picked up Dead Rising for £15 and a couple of other DVDs. Still got a £16 voucher, a £45 voucher and all my stuff today came to £70. Fuck, I've got a lot there.

They also had a fuckton of Fallout 3 and Fable II (like, 30 copies of each) at £25 each which was pretty tempting but I've got plenty of games to get through just now. Not to mention if other stores have similar amounts they'll probably have to bring the price down further to shift them and that's when I'll get them. I do try to buy new if I can to make sure the developers/publishers get their share, especially if I know I'll like the game or am really looking forward to it, but for games I'm so-so on I'll use my credit on that.