What is EWB looking forward to on TV in the new year?

PkmnTrainerJ

10. Damages season two

The second season of this FX gem adds William Hurt to the mix as a person from Patty Hewes' past. Season one started with Ellen walking down the street covered in blood. How will season two start? And how is this all the way down at number 10?

9. Reaper season two

Some say that Reaper was the best new show of 2007, and we can buy that argument (even though it was almost canceled). Mixing sci-fi, comedy, drama, and most importantly, Satan, Reaper is one underdog we hope lasts a long time.

8. American Idol edition eight

How can we not have American Idol on this list? The reality phenomenon is pop culture and dictates water-cooler discussion as long as it's on. Besides, don't you want a preview of who will be singing next year's top-selling Christmas album?

7. Dollhouse series debut

Two words: Joss Whedon. Wait, make that four words: Eliza Dushku. Whedon is a masterful story-teller, Dushku is a sci-fi geek's dream, and the plot is wide open for all sorts of settings. Early bad buzz knocks this down to number seven, but we still think it'll be just fine.

6. Flight of the Conchords season two

Bret and Jemaine are hilarious, talented, and let's face it--adorably cute. A year-and-a-half ago, no one knew who they were; now tickets for their shows are selling out in minutes. The funniest thing on HBO since Mr. Show.

5. Kings series debut

We have our fingers crossed so tightly for this one they're broken. A preview at Comic-Con left our jaws on the floor, and NBC is very high on this modern-day take on David and Goliath. And with Ian McShane on board, we know it's going to be intense. Can Kings save NBC? We'll be tuned in to find out.

4. 24 season seven

It's been too long since day six ended, and with the year off, producers were able to go back and make sure season seven was top notch. 24: Redemption was an appetizer for what's in store: no more CTU and the return of Tony Almeida.

3. Breaking Bad season two

For seven gritty, peek-through-your-hands episodes, strike-shortened season one of AMC's Breaking Bad totally caught us by surprise. Bryan Cranston delivered the performance of the year as Walter White, and Aaron Paul became one of our new favorite faces. And what's not to like about a chemistry teacher making crystal meth to pay his oncologist bills?

2. Battlestar Galactica finale

Haters will say, "I don't like science-fiction," but they're missing the point. Battlestar is one of the best dramas--spaceships or no spaceships--to come to television in a long, long time. The series ends in March, and we're still waiting for that one last question to be answered.

1. Lost season five

Ahem, pardon me while I ask, "WHERE and WHEN is the f%@*ing island!??!?!?!?"

http://www.tv.com/story/12035.html?ref_sto...;ref_name=story

So, that's TV.com's lot, but what TV shows are you looking forward to?

I'm quite psyched for Lost. When Heroes returns I'll be happy too. Erm...are there other TV shows?

How can we not have American Idol on this list?

Easily. Seriously, do people STILL get excited for this show? I know people watch it, but it makes me sad to think there are people eagerly anticipating its return. Spoilers: there will be a couple weeks of people to laugh at, then some people who weren't good enough to make it on the show in the last eight years, Simon will be mean, Paula will be coked out of her skull and Randy will ham it up and try to convince America that he's relevant, then the only talented person on the show will get voted off around week six because they don't fit the American Idol mold and then it will come down to the final two who will both fade into obscurity when the show's over, unless the somehow manage to squeeze out one hit before being completely forgotten about.

And I say all that, having never seen a complete episode of American Idol in my life.

As for what I'm excited about:

-Friday Night Lights season 3

-Damages season 2

-Lost season 5

-Dollhouse

-Scrubs season 8

-Big Love season 3

-Terminator season 2 part 2

-Rescue Me extended season 5

The new season of Scrubs, whenever that may be.

And definitely Bones-the rest of season 4 on Sky One, since they inexplicably took a five week break on it.

Not really inexplicable.. that's how a lot of american TV shows work. A bunch of popular US shows take roughly 4-5 weeks off starting in late November or early December - so they don't have to film any during the holidays (although I don't believe that's always the case).

House (though I may start watching that before it comes on TV over here because being at uni makes it almost impossible to watch things regularly), Heroes (which I'm pretty hopeful for; I thought Volume 3 was a trainwreck but Volume 4 looks like a more streamline concept and can't be as easy to fuck up) and Scrubs. And maybe I'll start watching some of these other shows people start raving about like Dexter.