Breraktrough Artists/Bands for 2009

Animal

So what bands or artists, in any genre, do you think are going to hit the big time this year. For the Dutch side of things I recommend keeping an eye open for the Death Letters who seem emo but I've seen them live and they play pretty powerful rock.

Other then that I don't really know but I'd like to hear from you guys what you think.

Edit: Dammit, can someone fix the title for me?

Edited by Animal

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Empire of the Sun and Frankmusik will get a bit of airplay I can imagine on the radio and pushed towards the charts at regular intervals I'd imagine. Also I can see The Gaslight Anthem becoming a bit more mainstream but there not really breakthrough as they are slowly pushing through the door.

Undoubtedly be a few more generic indie bands that make it big without being spectacular as per usual.

For the UK at least, it's GAGA <3333333333333333333333333333333.

Sorry, gaygasm. But yeah, Lady GaGa. She's number one on iTunes right now with Just Dance over here, she's selling nearly 2x as many as Alexandra is on iTunes right now, she's essentially fighting with Beyonce for Number 1 in America with Just Dance (even though it's been out in the US for a much, much longer time), she's been number one in Canada and Poker Face is #1 in Australia, even overthrowing an Aussie Idol champ.

So much love for GaGa. She's going to be massive.

Just Dance is fucking awesome. The rest of what I've heard is shit.

But she's fucking awesome so it wins. Oh and Colby O'Donis' appearance is awesome if only for the line where it essentially sounds like he's saying "I'ma heebagonnagleeba". Comical stuff.

Still, I've listened to a few of her other songs and they all sound shit compared to Just Dance.

This is going to get pretty confusing quickly because of different standards of people "breaking through"

For example, someone could mean "breaking through" from the deepest depths of the underground to Kerrang magazine, some could think it comes with a top 10 album, some think that a band hasn't even broken through if they reach no1 for fear of being labeled the one hit wonder.

Some of the best "new" bands I've heard in 2008: Alestorm, Blood Ceremony, Innerpartysystem, Justice have each had varying levels of success, but I'll have no clue as to whether they're on the verge of breaking through, whether they're still pretty unknown to 99% of the media, or whether they've become too popular to become a "breakthrough band" anymore.

But in that regard, I want Alestorm, Blood Ceremony and Innerpartysystem to breakthrough in 2009, hopefully through new material, but as it is they've just released albums and won't be able to release another so soon without destroying any momentum they have with a bad album.

Data.Select.Party (A more dancier Foals, and Zane Lowe was already on their cock before they'd even released an actual single...I heard them first :shifty:)

And wishful thinking, but I want the MiMi Soya album to blow up...not going to happen though. It better be awesome though. Not particularly digging their new myspace song, but "Crazy" and "Don't Stand On Ceremony" were epic (as well as their first EP stuff).

Edited by YI

Just Dance is fucking awesome. The rest of what I've heard is shit.

But she's fucking awesome so it wins. Oh and Colby O'Donis' appearance is awesome if only for the line where it essentially sounds like he's saying "I'ma heebagonnagleeba". Comical stuff.

Still, I've listened to a few of her other songs and they all sound shit compared to Just Dance.

"Eh Eh", "Starstruck", "Lovegame" and "Money Honey" are kind of crap. But that still leaves Poker Face, Paparazzi, The Fame and a load of others that are brilliant. Especially Beautiful Dirty Rich, which is just awesome. Awesome is the word to describe GaGa, essentially.

See I hate Poker Face and Beautiful Dirty Rich.

For me she'll just be a thing I'll enjoy hearing come on in a club and watching hump whales in paddling pools. She's clearly filthy and a total party animal, that's the best thing about her.

Nah...faux-filth...it's the Katy Perry syndrome. Faux-Filth...it's all a load of bollocks...although that 'dangling the mic' thing she does in the video is far hotter than humping the whale.

You'll have to watch actually. I can't imagine actually listening to her stuff unless it was in a club or something. But actually sitting at the PC and listening to it on iTunes I don't think I could imagine.

Watching.. however.. that's a different matter.

I'm going to throw out "Little Boots" to ride GaGa's coattails of success. She's better than GaGa though, so, yeah, I'm ready and waiting. "Marina And The Diamonds" is a possibility, her single "Mowgli's Road" is fucking AMAZING.

Edited by YI

ok ok, whoever said that to like GaGa you have to watch. I have to disagree.

Just Dance is a good song, nothing else she has recorded is anywhere near close to being anywhere near as good as it, which is saying alot considering Just Dance is only a "good" song.

But WATCHING will NOT ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE. And anyone who thinks that it does has absolutely no taste in women, clothes, or anything for that matter. I have shit better looking things than that. So if i put out a record and videotape my shit floating in the toilet bowl is it going to be more appealing? Well more appealing than watching a lady gaga video yeah but...no...its not appealing, in fact it may even make some people vomit. Much like the afforementioned filthy bitch herself.

WOO!

now that i got THAT out of the way. Overthrowing an AusIdol competitor on the charts is no major feat. So, meh.