Breraktrough Artists/Bands for 2009

Animal

No, she's fit...you can fuck off.

Yeah, she's not like BANGING or owt, but she's fair fit...and I haven't downloaded "Just Dance" yet, so I doubt I could cope listening without the video, whereas Little Boots I can.

l_b76445ef0c22303657ef910be7c4219c.jpg

l_2409b6bea6ba74a59e0dc0afc1cfe398.jpg

"Little Boots" wins on the shagability scale as well.

At the end of the day though, all these 80's throwback shit...aren't they just doing what Annie did like 5 year ago too. :shifty: And Annie was/is hotter...actually...what the fuck happened to Annie's 2nd album?!?! Did that even come out? "I Know Your Girlfriend Hates Me" got a canny bit of play, then she just disappeared again...

l_11eb7e6088a340045e5bba02f3722de9.jpg

If she reappears 2009 could be an epic year for her too.

Edited by YI

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ok, whoever said that to like GaGa you have to watch. I have to disagree.

Just Dance is a good song, nothing else she has recorded is anywhere near close to being anywhere near as good as it, which is saying alot considering Just Dance is only a "good" song.

But WATCHING will NOT ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE. And anyone who thinks that it does has absolutely no taste in women, clothes, or anything for that matter. I have shit better looking things than that. So if i put out a record and videotape my shit floating in the toilet bowl is it going to be more appealing? Well more appealing than watching a lady gaga video yeah but...no...its not appealing, in fact it may even make some people vomit. Much like the afforementioned filthy bitch herself.

WOO!

now that i got THAT out of the way. Overthrowing an AusIdol competitor on the charts is no major feat. So, meh.

gaga.jpg

Trade in your penis now. Seriously, you shouldn't have it if you can't use it correctly.

Asher Roth. C'mon, who doesn't like a nerdy looking white kid with a pretty nasty flow. If he doesn't break into the mainstream, I can see him being played at college campuses all over the country. Plus, the Roth Boys video is awesome.

If the BBC "Sound of 2009" is to be believed it's going to be a year of 80's throwback/electro-pop with shit like; Lady GaGa, Florence & The Machine, Frankmusik, Little Boots, La Roux, VV Brown, Passion Pit and Empire Of The Sun making the 'longlist'.

I can live with some of that, but I don't know, some of those bands bore/annoy the fuck out of me. Passion Pit (who I love for seemingly reviving the SCOOTER "Logical Song" noise), Frankmusik, VV Brown (who doesn't really fit as snugly as the rest) and Little Boots I can take in abundance though. White Lies also made the list. White Lies = :wub:

Bear in mind...the "Sound Of 2008" list was;

1. Adele

2. Duffy

3. The Ting Tings

4. Glasvegas

5. Foals

6. Vampire Weekend

7. Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong

8. Black Kids

9. MGMT

10. Santogold

This year it looks like;

5. La Roux

4. Empire Of The Sun

3. Florence & The Machine

2. ???

1. (apparently) Lady GaGa

Haha...ain't that great, probably the four I like the least out of all those. "Empire..." bore me. "Florence..." is alright, but I just can't help but feel I've been hearing this kind of stuff far too much the past few years or so, so she hasn't made the impression she could have. GaGa has one alright song, but she will more than likely be the most successful out of everyone on the list. La Roux are solid listening to their myspace page. But by the time the 3rd song came on, I'd had enough.

Edited by YI

GaGa will be like Adele, Lily Allen, Katy Perry etc. Hot for about fifteen minutes with a successful song, until the next singer-songwriter lady is along. Out of the women in her genre, there's very few who have staying power. By the end of 2009, we will have forgotten all about her.

Those aren't particularly the best examples to use. Yeah, Adele kind of only had one song and fell on her big fat arse, but I wouldn't say even then she's 'forgotten about', not yet at least. Perry's album is still relatively new and she's had a bunch of charting singles, still getting airplay. Lily Allen, she's just on a 'break between albums', she had the miscarriage and stuff, as well as TV projects which have probably delayed it a bit, I'd hardly say she's forgotten about, especially seeing as she's in the papers and magazines still basically constantly.

I always dislike the likes of the BBC doing a "sound of 2009" prediction, because they're in the position to make or break these bands, so really they could pull whatever they like out of their arses and unless they're really utter shite, just hype them to the moon themselves and people will buy it, so it's less a prediction and more the Beeb just telling you what they like and what you will be listening to over the course of the year.

That said, I'm surprised they went with so many naff 80s throwbacks, I thought we were finally getting over the retro '80s thing.

I'd like to see Micachu/Micachu & The Shapes break through this year...more than likely they'll be "big" on the underground, but probably not get anywhere near the charts, unless they get one big song or a track played on an advert or whatever.

Lykke Li has to break through this year. I don't really know how popular she is already, but ever since I first heard the album I've been convinced that half of it will end up soundtracking car or mobile phone adverts.

I'd love to see The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart get noticed more this year, but it probably won't happen.

More breakthrough grime acts this year too, I reckon. It's about time.

I always dislike the likes of the BBC doing a "sound of 2009" prediction, because they're in the position to make or break these bands, so really they could pull whatever they like out of their arses and unless they're really utter shite, just hype them to the moon themselves and people will buy it, so it's less a prediction and more the Beeb just telling you what they like and what you will be listening to over the course of the year.

At the same time though, half of what they've 'predicted' it's OBVIOUS, as half of them are already fairly popular. White Lies have been receiving airplay for the best part of a year and are in the Bloc Party pre-Silent Alarm situation, where they've been releasing singles throughout the year; Florence & The Machine, Frankmusik, Lady GaGa, Empire Of The Sun, VV Brown and to a lesser extent Passion Pit were all getting radio/music TV airplay by the close of play last year too.

And I'd love for Lykke Li too. She's already fairly popular among like the NME lot and stuff. But the fact she doesn't have new material out this year (or I doubt she will) will probably work against her.

Edited by YI

I went and bought NME for the first time in ages today because they were doing a hotly tippled for 2009 feature that looked vaguely interesting. They tipped the Virgins, which is nice to see because I like them very much.

On the subject of music magazines, I've only ever read NME and Q. Q's musical world seems to revolve around U2, Oasis and Coldplay so I think it's dreadful, while NME sometimes has its moments but can come acoss a bit pompous at times. Plus it seems to be aimed at 16 year olds. Does anybody know of any good music magazines? Online or in traditional magazine format. Just something that covers a pretty much all areas of music from mainstream acts to no stream acts. Because that's what I like.

http://www.planbmag.com/

Plan B Magazine. I've been pimping it for years, but it pretty much is my bible when it comes to keeping track of new music. Really intelligently written, and covers a pretty wide base - it's usually rooted in post-Sonic Youth rock stuff, and twee indie-pop, but covers everything from that through to noise and drone, a lot of underground hip-hop and dance acts, and pretty much anything else that takes their fancy, the odd pop review thrown in (they've got a bit of a thing for Girls Aloud), and it's pretty much the most intelligently and genuinely passionately written music magazine going. Love it.

Hilariously, Little Boots won Sound of 2009. GaGa was put at number six, which shows how much of a joke that list is. She's on course to be Number One in the US, UK and Australia this weekend. Florence & The Machine are shit, and Little Boots hurts my ears.

BBC failing again <3

Hilariously, Little Boots won Sound of 2009. GaGa was put at number six, which shows how much of a joke that list is. She's on course to be Number One in the US, UK and Australia this weekend. Florence & The Machine are shit, and Little Boots hurts my ears.

BBC failing again <3

HAHAHA!! FUCK YOU!!

FUCK YEAH! LITTLE BOOTS!!!

White Lies got #2 too. Good top choices. :wub:

Edited by YI

And by BBC, you mean 130 people involved in music who work for loads of different companies giving their top 3 and from that a list being compiled.

It's surreal though, Little Boots is just this quirky girl but she's in a boat with past winners like Adele, 50 Cent and Keane. So.. if she can be that successful, well then it'll be just weird to see.

Also looking forward to seeing White Lies and how they do in this year. Lady Gaga will be a typical, have some decent songs and good album showing - but she'll never be that awesome or anything. Anyways, I need to go brush up on the acts that I don't know much about and see where I think they fit in the grand scheme of things.

EDIT: Okay so that's a lie. Turns out I've already heard Kid Cudi, and although it not massively my type of music, when I was listening I did actually enjoy it and want to find out who it was. Then I forgot about it, and then randomly stumble into it again.

Edited by IAceI

http://www.planbmag.com/

Plan B Magazine. I've been pimping it for years, but it pretty much is my bible when it comes to keeping track of new music. Really intelligently written, and covers a pretty wide base - it's usually rooted in post-Sonic Youth rock stuff, and twee indie-pop, but covers everything from that through to noise and drone, a lot of underground hip-hop and dance acts, and pretty much anything else that takes their fancy, the odd pop review thrown in (they've got a bit of a thing for Girls Aloud), and it's pretty much the most intelligently and genuinely passionately written music magazine going. Love it.

Sounds good to me.