Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

You learn something new everyday. The singer from The Virgins is the guy with antlers in the "Sugar, We're Goin' Down"

I already knew that because I bought this week's NME for my train journey and it said that. It was actually right good until they started banging on about how Steely Dan is bad for music. They've lost a potential reader in me because of that outburst. :angry:

Meh, we need more elite talk...

So I will discuss the more l33tist band of all: Metallica.

They are great.

There.

EDIT: By the way, what sparked this discussion was me listening to "The Day That Never Comes" and smiling until I was blue in the face at the pure greatness of it.

Edited by Crazy Wacky Gregory Helms

I was unsure at first about Bob Dylan's new album because I hadn't exactly heard great thinks about it, but I actually quite liked it:

1. Beyond Here Lies Nothin’ - ***

2. Life Is Hard = *****

3. My Wife’s Home Town - ***

4. If You Ever Go To Houston - ****

5. Forgetful Heart - ***

6. Jolene - ****

7. This Dream Of You - ***

8. Shake Shake Mama - ***

9. I Feel A Change Comin’ On - *****

10. It’s All Good - **

Hopefully that's his "blues" phase over with now.

Now as a contrast - possibly the best new(ish) album I've heard this year is Ladyhawke's self titled. Nothing like a good pop album. :)

Edited by metalman

I couldn't get over feeling that the guy's just too behind the times, for a guy that was once so current. But then again, that's been my problem with latter-era Dylan to begin with. I also like that "Shake Shake Mama" was better when it was called "Antichrist Television Blues".

The Passion Pit album is fucking lovely. Dancey-electro pop/indie, with falsetto vocals. They were predicted big things at the beginning of the year, I loved/love "Sleepyhead", but was expecting only a 'solid' album at most. The album is really good though.

"Little Secrets" needs to be a single, seriously it would be a total floor filler indie/dance crossover like "D.A.N.C.E" was a couple years back.

God bless youtube, listen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzQNSGwD7qY

Although, if it was given the chance as a legit single/had major backing, I don't think there's been a danceable tune as good as "M.A.G.I.C" by The Sound Of Arrows, this year. -

Also, the "These Four Walls" by We Were Promised Jetpacks is back up EVERYWHERE after the first lot of uploads got "Deleted At Request of The Band" messages, I managed to snag it the first time round, it's AMAZING! GET IT!

Also on the electro-pop front. "Polaroids" by The Tremulance is great. Bit of an early DnTel vibe in there, mix of atmospheric and catchier stuff too. And the song with Lights is lovely.

Edited by YI

Right so here's my "chart". Top ten songs of the here and now basically.

1. Koko Von Napoo - Agence Blady

2. Koko Von Napoo - Polly

3. Bob Dylan - I Feel A Change Comin' On

5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero

9. Alasdair Roberts - The Flyting Of Grief & Joy (Eternal Return)

10. Golden Silvers - Please Venus

There's a fair whack of good stuff knocking about right now.

Edited by metalman

New Alkaline Trio song (and they've left Epic Records, and apparently self-releasing a new album by the end of the year);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNGnxKfRedI

Holy motherfucking Cure ripoff. :shifty:

It's hard to tell what it's going to be like because the sound's shit, and most of Trio's charm comes from their amazing lyrics (their last album was lyrically fucking AWFUL though, not even a case of an isolated amazing line).

Also Chuck Ragan's finished his new album. :D

Agony and Irony was an awesome album YI. I hope they tour again in the winter/spring if they're bringing out a new album cos i don't remember much of their gig from this time, I was too drunk.

It was dear god awful. :shifty:

It's a shame we lost that thread where me and Maxx just bitched at each other for like 4 pages. :shifty:

Lyrically it's piss poor. A further step in the transition from "Fucked up, brooding, cynically sick, but humorous" (where Skiba is at his best) Alk3 to "Borderline cartoon, wannabe neo-goth for twats who think mixing pink and black is punk" shit.

There's two songs I still listen to 'regularly' from "Agony & Irony". They're "Lost & Rendered", which is awesome, but I hate it at the same time, because it's full to the brim with 'manufactured darkness', the sound effects are fucking awful, and "Do You Wanna Know?".

Oh, and "Love Love Kiss Kiss" sounds like motherfucking Mest (BAD MEST at that). If they'd recorded 3-minutes of the drummer nobody gives a fuck about cracking one off, it would have been a better inclusion on the album.

I will give them props though, the setlist they were peddling on the current tour was pretty great. They stuck to the stronger songs from The fact they've started to do "Jaked On Green Beers" is awesome. I enjoyed them at GIAN last year, and if the support had been good I'd have went to see them in February, but I'm not churning out the best part of £20 to see 2 bands I don't like, seriously The Audition are quite possibly the dullest band in the entire world, I can't remember who the other support was, but I remember not liking them.

Edited by YI

It must be the most epic feeling ever, knowing you've written such a huge choooon that all you have to do is sing for like 20 seconds then jump around like a twat for the rest of the time and everyone will still go fucking nuts!!!

Still can't believe how good he actually was, surprised me.

I love the out of time clapping at the start, haha, it annoyed the shit out of me at the time...I hate people who can't clap in time...Weakerthans fans win the award for best clappers, for the spontaneous perfect clapping to the end of "Night Windows".

Edited by YI

I remember seeing Death Cab in Portsmouth and some idiots were trying to clap along for the intro to Transatlantacism, they were so badly out of time they were putting Ben off and he was making these kind of awkward polit handgestures to sort of give them a hint, but it didn't work.

SHITTING FUCK YES!!!

A Wilhelm Scream, Newcastle, September 3rd...TRILLIANS!!! TRILLIANS!!! Shit's going to be FUCKING CRAZY!!!

Apparently the tour's with Polar Bear Club, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've decided already, the ledges in the middle of the room will be used for me to stand on and scream my heart out.

Hopefully Pure Graft are nowhere near proceedings. Already seen them once this year. That's one time too many.

Edited by YI