Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

RossWalker any other north east area punk fan...BE ASHEMD!! BE FUCKING ASHAMED!!! You missed This Is A Standoff tonight...they were motherfucking INSANE!!! AMAZING!!

Crowd were reserved, but band were fucking class.

I did FIND AN EXCUSE!!! Though. For not going for a lass. :( BASTARDS!!! FUCKING BASTARDS!!! Once you 'find an excuse' there's no going back, you can't jsut 'switch that off'...there was tonnes of space, yet whenever I moved a step or two away from her during TIAS, she somehow ended nearer me (I thank my beard, it makes me look sexy) than before...she grazed my cock twice. WHY DID I HAVE TO FIND A FUCKING ECXCUSE!!! :( :( :( That's worse than just 'bottling'...cos you're trying to justify you bottling it...I hate me right now. :(

Rough setlist (some of it might be totally fucking wrong haha, cos a couple of their tunes do seem to blend together);

The Is A Little lemoncello In Everyone

Better Than All Of Us

You Won't Pass

The Light Is Still On In Broadmoor

My Baby Makes Me Watch The Notebood

Graveyards

Face The Sun

Affliction

Sweet Child O'Mine (snippet)

Dream Beater

Underwater

We Built This City On Rock & Roll (snippet)

Where I Can't Be Heard

An Admission

Silvio

Everything We Take

Linoleum (WHY IS EVERY FUCKER COVERING THIS AT THE MINUTE!?!)

Can't Tale Em All

Singer's banter was awesome.

One of the best value gigs av been to as well. 6 bands £6. Beasts weren't as shit as they were when I saw them with Polar Bear Club. Tripdash were awesome, but a bit short. Err...the 2nd band...the bassist had an ASTROLUX tattoo on his arm...met him at AWS a year or so back too, they were canny solid too.

Oh, Independent, i saw need to do a clubnight there. THey played MIKE HALE!!!!, Against Me!, Gaslight, Frank Turner, Hot Water Music and some other epic shit between bands and it had a faint aroma of weed, love that in any venue.

Only downside...my phone fucked on the emtty for some reason and i couldn't get it working again until 2nd to last band...so between bands I became very aware I was alone...leading to me forking out £20 odd on beers...never good. :(

Edited by YI

The new Owen song is absolutely fucking glorious. :wub:

The Field album is dull as shit.

"The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion" by Dredg has leaked, haven't listened yet. Got high hopes though.

This Is A Standoff were brilliant last night. One of the best punk acts I've seen live. Yes, the place was nowhere close to 'rocking', but the band were insane, so tight (especially nuts seeing as they had a stand-in drummer, and their drum parts are fucking CRAZY). Setlist...I have less idea than I had last night to be fair, so I'm hoping what I posted last night was fairly accurate. Awesome performance though.

Still trying to track down a working link to the Blue Roses album, which is pissing me off.

The Passion Pit album continues to be amazing. "Little Secrets", "Moth's Wings", "Folds In Your Hands", "Eyes As Candles", "Sleepyhead" and "Let Your Love Grow Tall" are all outstanding tracks.

Really enjoying Jeremy Enigk's new album too; "Make Believe", "Sandwich Time" and "Late Of Camera" are current standouts.

Got the new CKY and the Diamond Watch Wrists album (post-rock band featuring the drummer from Hella).

Edited by YI

I absolutely adore in intro to 'Eyes As Candles'. I'm just generally falling in love with Passion Pit.

Oooh, what the new CKY album like? I used to love them in my early teens.

Edited by Turbo Yannis

I'm only onto the 3rd song. It's very CKY, same formula, same shit. First song has some changes in syncopation/tempo that don't really work. But the verse groove is awesome. 2nd song. Again the verse is bloody awesome. Chorus isn't as good. But it's a solid song. 3rd song is basically the same. Good, but nothing groundbreaking.

It's just the same CKY, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. As it's a load of fun. But you do often feel like "I've heard this song done a million times better before". Which is why "Deceit Is Striking Gold" is basically the only song I revisit from the last album.

I still never got over having a CKY ticket, and me and my mate both bollocks'd up the day of the gig, so missed it. :(

At the time, CKY live was a thing of beauty. The novelty soon started to wear thin after the third time I'd seen them though.

Even though I'm pretty much indifferent towards them thesedays, I'll never forget them doing 'To All Of You" live. Amazing.

Dredg continue to be the only band to get away with U2 guitar noises. For anyone else, it's cheesy. For them, it's atmospheric.

Okay, so on first listen "Information" is right up there with "The Canyon Behind Her", "Eighteen People Living In Harmony" and "Planting Seeds" as the best Dredg song. Outstanding track (far from their best lyrically, but) it just works so well.

Okay, and "Morning This Morning" sounds like WHAM! This Dredg album is brilliant.

Edited by YI

"

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Oh, and awesome This Is A Standoff memories. I need to know who the drummer normally drums for. He's Italian, and called Sergio (I think...definitely an "S" name). I was thinking BeerBong (cos their drummer's fucking brutal), but different name. :( But he basically went through like dozens of sticks, breaking them, dropping them, he was crazy. Mid-set they had to ducktape the drums down to stop them moving...and that didn't work. Oh, and one point when he couldn't grab a new stick quick enough, he just punched the crash cymbal...the man was an absolute fucking legend!

Edited by YI

Had to transfer money from my ISA to my current account to pay for the ticket but I'm going to see the King Blues on Monday now. Ticket for less than a tenner is a bargain for the Blues and Master Shortie supporting.

Confirmed Rise Against/Thursday/Poison The Well shows:

17 Nov 2009 20:00 Barrowlands Glasgow, Scotland

18 Nov 2009 20:00 Academy Newcastle

19 Nov 2009 20:00 Apollo Manchester

21 Nov 2009 20:00 Brixton London

22 Nov 2009 20:00 Great Hall Cardiff

...man, I'm so gonna be disappointed by Rise Against's setlist, but EVENTUALLY they play a fucking show in Newcastle (hopefully they don't cancel again)...but that's a fucking epic line-up, think I may have to go.

Taste Of Chaos the other year doesn't count...as I went to Babyshambles that night and it was a far better gig. :shifty:

And my token punk-rock band for the day is "Such Gold", their demo is fucking epic...kind of powerpunky, but with a more of a Kid Dynamite edge;

http://www.myspace.com/suchgold

Edited by YI

King Blues were AWESOME! First band on were Plastic Authority. They would have been okay if I'd been able to make out any of the lyrics. Joe Driscoll was on next and was excellent, live looped a set, beatbozing and using his guitar. Very cool. Then the King Blues came on and rocked! Very tight set but a bit shorter than I'd have liked and no 'What if Punk Never Happened?' :(

Edited by ADGray

Joe Driscoll's pretty cool, although gets very dull after the first time you've seen him. I've seen him four or five times now, and the novelty's kind of worn off - the first time you're impressed by how well he pulls it all off, the second time you're quite keen to see it again and to try and get other people to see how cool it is...and then after that you realise that the songs aren't actually much cop. Still, good live show to go to all the same.

can i just mention lisa hannigan is this weeks free itunes song (UK).

its beautiful. does anyone know why theres a big fuss over her recently? i only heard about her a couple of weeks ago and i keep seeing her name pop up, but the album was released last year.

Stuff like that always happens. A bunch of bands that get popular it's after they release stuff. I mean, The Killers re-released all their early singles and stuff (think the album was out before they got big too). There's a bunch recently. Fuck, that Metro Station song that's getting all sorts of play recently, that album was released in like 2006 or something.

NARC continues to be awesome at pimping great bands, with them hyping up We Were Promised Jetpacks and Passion Pit in the new issue. Great to pick up for a metro home and for finding out about local and some other little known bands, listening to their myspaces now, early standouts are;

Dot To Dots

Piney Gir

Pale Made Man

No & The Maybes

Musical Geniuses

Stuff like that always happens. A bunch of bands that get popular it's after they release stuff. I mean, The Killers re-released all their early singles and stuff (think the album was out before they got big too). There's a bunch recently. Fuck, that Metro Station song that's getting all sorts of play recently, that album was released in like 2006 or something.

and its a horrible song as well :mellow:. currently on my iPod:

fight%20like%20apes%20-%20and%20the%20mystery%20of%20the%20golden%20medallion.jpg

:wub:

"Shake It " is quality!!!

And I'm in two minds about Fight Like Apes. Some of the newer stuff I've heard I quite like, but I saw them at Leeds and they sounded like a spastic smashing up a conservatory.

Cribs tickets go on sale Friday, as do Rise Against w/Thursday, Poison The Well. Will be hopefully picking a couple of each up. Trying to organise RA, as a couple of my mates are all "I'll probably see them at Leeds"...grrr FUCK OFF!!! I want to see Arctic Monkeys at Leeds, sod Rise Against. :(

New Rx Bandits album is going to be release July 14th, it's called "Mandala", the album art is fucking gorgeous;

mandala_cover.JPG

Edited by YI

Bad news for fans of Antipodean indie pop everywhere;

Dear Friends,

There's no easy way to put this, so please accept our apologies for the seemingly abrupt nature of this post. We are saddened to announce that after sixteen years as The Lucksmiths, the band has decided to break up.

The last few years have been an uphill battle in many ways, so this isn't a hasty decision based on any falling-out between band members, but rather, an acceptance of the inevitable. This decision was finally reached a few months back, so we've had plenty of time to let it sink in.

We had tried to operate the band in a way that would suit all of us, but at the same time we've been very conscious that too much compromise would in the end affect our creative output. We're very proud of the music we make, and we certainly didn't want it to start stinking. So, in taking our cues from Devo, we've decided to whip the proverbial cream before it sits out too long.

We're really excited about our upcoming European tour, and have booked some Australian dates for our "farewell tour" in August. The details for these shows are in our gig guide. We really hope to see as many people at these shows as possible, as we will be playing super long sets, cramming in as many old favourites as possible.

We must apologise for not making it back to the USA, Canada, Japan, New Zealand or Singapore, or to the other amazing European countries we've previously visited — and for never having made it to the other fifty or so countries we'd hoped to tour one day.

We really want to thank you all, especially the wonderful people who've helped us out in any way, and anyone who's listened to our music or come to a show. We've loved having you in our world and we will miss you dearly.

xo The Lucksmiths

I'm sad now :(

Proper digging "Be Disappointed" by This Is A Standoff (although I prefer their debut "Be Excited", but I've been hammering them a shitload since seeing them live) and "Defining. Redifining" by Half Hearted Hero at the minute. Awesome 'tech-punk'. Fans of A Wilhelm Scream, Lipona, Strung Out etc, definitely need to check out. A little more pop-punky, Half Hearted Hero especially, but the tunes are absolutely killer. I've been listening to HHH all day, "Meter? I Just Met Her!?" is a tune and a half, right down to the random key change.

http://www.myspace.com/thisisastandoff

http://www.myspace.com/halfheartedheroband