Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

...fuck me...listening to first album Manchester Orchestra...I get to "Sleeper 1972" (

) and I think I'm ready to cry and curl up into a ball and die...NOT...NOT stuff you want to listen to when you can't sleep in the dead of the night;

When my dad died the worms ate out both his eyes.

His soul flew right up in the sky and I cried myself to sleep.

My mother lies alone on her back at night.

Adding up hours till her demise, she counts herself to sleep.

When my sister finds my body closed up like the blinds,

I tell her I promise its fine, but she cries herself to sleep.

The men in black ties arrive at the house in surprise.

To find a little girl by your side in the wood box where you're sleeping.

I still see you inside of this God-awful house

You move awfully quiet now

And I still feel you everywhere

You told me this has always been worth living,

But what's really worth living anymore?

...I'm now so sad. :(

Man, their new album is not a patch on this. I miss them sounding like Brand New. :( The Devil & The Lion do a good Brand New sound-alike job too, but they split up after finishing their album. :(

Edited by YI

If the new Conor Oberst album is bad I might just cry.

There is no reason to be worried if the two songs I've heard already are anything to go by though.

and to answer my own question...

It's not very Bright Eyes.

But I was expecting that. It sounds more like Ryan Adams B-sides. But I like that.

Still not very Bright Eyes. He has changed. I think I still might cry.

http://www.myspace.com/inmeofficial

New InMe songs are up, pretty fucking awesome sounding. "Herald Moth" is a fucking shit album name though. :shifty:

"I Will Honour You" from the album is going to be brilliant, total ballad (from acoustic versions floating about), but glorious melody.

That's some fucking solo in "The Art Of Moderation"...FUCK YEAH!

Edited by YI

If the new Conor Oberst album is bad I might just cry.

There is no reason to be worried if the two songs I've heard already are anything to go by though.

and to answer my own question...

It's not very Bright Eyes.

But I was expecting that. It sounds more like Ryan Adams B-sides. But I like that.

Still not very Bright Eyes. He has changed. I think I still might cry.

Something's ironic about crying because Oberst DOESN'T sound like Bright Eyes. :shifty:

Saw Gogol Bordello w/ Man Man tonight. Spent half the night hopping on one foot because my shoe came off when I fell down. The show kind of went on for too long; Gogol kept teasing the ending, only for it too keep going and going. Honestly, they must have done it at least five times, not including the encore, and that's fucking draining. I usually put whatever energy I have left into jumping around when I think its almost over, so I had to do this six or so times.

And the encore just made me see how spoiled the spectators are; some were starting to get mad when it seemed like Gogol wasn't coming back out. Now I can appreciate why The Mars Volta did no encore when I saw them live, even if I was mad at the time(I understand, but they still seemed like self-indulgent pricks onstage).

Also, between Man Man and Gogol Bordello, a guy in luchadore mask came out and DJed. Just thought I'd share.

I just heard Enter Shakari's new song, and I honestly thought it was awful. I loved 'Sorry Your Not A Winner' and 'Anything Can Happen...' but Juggernauts is pretty awful. It seems like they've tried to mix a British kind of...well, rap. It doesn't hold a candle to their old stuff.

Thoughts?

Ever changed your opinion on a band purely because of who's in it? I saw the band name "White Belt Yellow Tag" floating about the area a bit (gigs at various venues in a short space of time, mostly in support slots) and just presumed they were a local band with a shit name. Anyways, they had a support slot with Gaslight Anthem in London last night, so out of curiosity gave them a listen, thought they were a bit shit. Jouzy brought them up to me a couple of days ago, again, because they're playing near him. And I went, "Oh, they're shit"...but them I found out it's actually ex-Cooper Temple Clause/yourcodenameis:milo...and I've started to enjoy their tunes on myspace, even if they are just bog-standard indie, often bordering into Coldplay territory. :shifty:

Also...there's supposed to be some kind of buzz about this lass - http://www.myspace.com/daisydaresyoumusic

She's recently signed, is apparently 15/16 and is touted as going to be the UK's answer to Miley/Avril...can't wait. :shifty:

Edited by YI

I find The New Amsterdams a grower of a band. "Worse For The Wear" is an absolutely outstanding album, the last one "At The Foot of My Rival" was awesome too...the one before that is basically the epitome of a grower album...in that I detested it at first, but it grew on me and was awesome. The earlier more acoustic albums are a bit hit and miss at times, but still some absolutely beautiful and breathtaking tracks on them.

...give "Worse For The Wear" another listen...I am right now. :)

And the next Gaylist will be up tonight/tomorrow. It is awesome band name month (:shifty:) with songs from; Peculiar Dance Moves, Big D & The Kids Table, Calvinball and Favours For Sailors. :shifty:

Edited by YI