Now That's What I Call A Music Thread: 2009

YI

Yeah, Marnie Stern is great, sexy as fuck, amazing (I will not argue with the Battles comparison because at times it is pretty apt) but I will agree the excessive twiddling does get on my tits at times.

...and trust the first day I don't have a computer to myself there's a shitload leaked/I want to download. New Owen EP, new Big D & The Kids Table, new Portugal The Man, We're All Broken EP, just realised there's a new Menzingers EP, Killswitch Engage, new Bouncing Souls EP, Against Me! (Eternal Cowboy demos), new Vic Ruggiero, Never Hit Again and of course...BROKENCYDE!!!

:( To be fair, my brother's out tonight, so I'll just download a load of the shit later. Tempted to download Brokencyde for giggles. :shifty:

Big D is so not very good. :( After how awesome "Strictly Rude" was...just. :( There's really only a couple of songs I like and they're the first two. :(

The Menzingers EP is absolutely epic. It's being full on bummed in the 'punk community', and I know why...it's like if Anti-Flag had been listening to a bit much Billy Bragg.

We're All Broken EP, I'm 4-tracks in and it's epic too.

Okay, Ha Ha Tonka are going to be big. They're like Kings of Leon with more mind altering drugs and Lynyrd Skynyrd records.

So they're in the middle of the bumfuck South instead of Nashville, then?

Blur were fucking INSANE!!! So, so good. Setlist was identical to what's been churned about before;

She's So High

Girls And Boys

Tracy Jacks

There's No Other Way

Jubilee

Badhead

Beetlebum

Out Of Time

Trimm Trab

Coffee and TV

Tender

Country House

Oily Water

Chemical World

Sunday Sunday

Parklife

End of a Century

To The End

This Is A Low

====================

Popscene

Advert

Song2

====================

For Tomorrow

The Universal

Thank fuck for no "Essex Dogs" it's fucking shit. Highlights were "End Of A Century", "Tender", "Jubilee", "Beetlebum", "Country House", "Out Of Time" and "Sunday Sunday"...and "The Universal"...and "Girls And Boys"..."Chemical World"...fuck...the entire thing was mental...one of the best shows I've ever been too, mammoth set but it never dragged at all.

Edited by YI

Okay, Mew's new album is going to be fucking epic. They've put out a taster EP with 2 album tracks and 3 B-sides. "Introducing Palace Players" has been floating about for a few weeks and it glorious, the other album track "Repeaterbeater" is fucking amazing. It's like a cross between "Special" and "Eye of The Tiger", it's fucking pounding...brilliant. -

As for the other stuff, "Owl" sounds like those really shit New Order b-sides you'd get on their singles, "Start" is a nice little piano song, nothing much too it though. "Swimmer's Chant" is really good. But the album tracks are so, so good, I have real high hopes for this. "...And The Glass Handed Kites" was good, but didn't really stand up well as time went on (lots of tracks I skip), the album before, "Frengers" is absolutely amazing though, I'm hoping/predicting another album of that quality.

Rx Bandits has leaked too. :D Fuck it, I have computer/music access all night...but I'm going out, I so want to stay in now. :(

Edited by YI

http://www.bridge9.com/#stay (Click Player);

2009 Bridge 9 summer sampler...seriously, best label in punk at the minute, especially since it's branching out more from hardcore.

new Strike Anywhere song (FUCKING HUUUGE)

new Death Before Dishonor (pretty cool)

new Polar Bear Club (awesome!)

new Ruiner (not really feeling)

new Dead Swans (FUCK YEAH!)

new Soul Control (rocking as fuck)

new Crime In Stereo (got such a groove to it...big fan...their transition to punk-rock Brand New is now complete)

new Paint It Black (already have the EP, it's rocking...the bass sounds so fucking muddy and disgusting)

new/unreleased Have Heart (RIP...good band, good song)

Plus there's some epic stuff by H2O, Defeater and Ceremony on for good measure too. They have a hell of a roster. The Strike Anywhere song is just so-so fucking good.

Edited by YI

Okay, Ha Ha Tonka are going to be big. They're like Kings of Leon with more mind altering drugs and Lynyrd Skynyrd records.

You mean Alabama? :P

You mean Alabama? :P

Please. We'd suck off this band if they were from Alabama. :(

Top three songs of all time:

1. Nothing Gets Crossed Out by Bright Eyes

2. You Will. You?Will. You? Will. You?Will. by Bright Eyes

3. False Advertising by Bright Eyes

What a coincidence that the best three songs of all time are all from the same album eh?

Edited by metalman

The Swellers have signed to Fuelled By Ramen, awesome for them...their debut was really good (EP before that was epic too), and the acoustic tracks they churned out last year sounded great too...a lot like older New Found Glory, fast and frantic, but catchy as hell, and the drumming is insane.

Jack's Mannequin dates, go on sale tomorrow (although might be Friday) apparently;

September 1st - Manchester, Academy 2

September 3rd - London, Koko

September 4th - Birmingham, O2 Academy

Damn my lack of funds. :( I so want to go. :( London tickets are only £14...I could afford to buy one...it's just, by that point I'm going to be skint as hell...grrrr.

Also Little Boots is playing Sunderland uni in October, £10 face value...thinking about it.

Edited by YI

Fuck...fuck...okay, I'm finding a gig that's happening on the 4th and trying to get an overdraft sorted, I know someone who'd at least put me up for a night or so, so...it's possibly do-able.

The Flatliners are playing Underworld...epic, was going to see them at Trillians (but it's the Monday after Leeds, so it'll probably be like HiFi Handgrenades last year and I'll be too knackered and can't be arsed...it's with Arteries and Nana's Revenge in London too...both aren't too shabby.

In other news, I finally tracked down the first Pedals On Our Pirate Ships album they other day. Nowhere near as good as "Take Flight", it's mostly just acoustic with a couple of 'full band' things cropping up towards the end...there's still some fabulous lyrics popping up in there though;

"it's such a pretty picture, one glass - three pitchers, this barstool is my throne, I'm royally alone"

"it's raining outside, and I don't want to ride my bike, think I'll stay in tonight......and experiment with drugs"

"lets put an end to the tragedy of friends that have died, only to discover, they could have lived as lovers, if their livers had survived" (Just so fucking catchy)

It borders on Matt Skiba acoustic stuff at times, which is pretty cool. Disappointed that "This One Time In a Cemetery" isn't on the album, it's a total acoustic Alk3 style track...wonder where it's actually from then. :/

Gaslight Anthem on "Live Lounge" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/livelounge/art...ghtanthem.shtml

Christ Jo Whiley is a twat. :shifty: Do "The '59 Sound" and an acoustic cover "I Do Not Hook Up" by Kelly Clarkson, which is awesome...not totally sold on the ending, but before the last chorus it's gorgeous.

Edited by YI

I think I'm going to my first formal concert (as in "show I will willingly pay for and travel to") in very early October. 12 days before my birthday, Andrew Bird and ST. VINCENT are playing in Birmingham. I'm going to take a bus (too broke for a car, but not too broke to likely blow $40-45 including bus fare for a show) to the show and it will probably be so so awesome. I have no idea why EWB needed to know this.

can

All you need to know. Couple of new songs on their website, both absolutely fucking awesome (TRUMPET!!!), less 'angry'...they're selling it on their tour (before a September actual release), I expect it to surface in a couple of weeks.

Edited by YI

Won tickets to see The Fray last night in Cleveland. With Richard Swift.

Richard Swift was pretty much getting booed by the end, especially when his last song sounded like it was over, and the crowd cheered, then he kept playing and everyone went "Awwwwwbooooooo!" He ended the song and looked a little pissed. Boring.

The Fray got a lot of people leaving early and our group left early as well, but pretty much when the encore started and the guitar player (can't be assed to look him up) came out alone and started doing a cover of Heartless. We all yelled "Don't you know I'm a Gayfish!" then we left.

Oh yeah, Jacks Mannequin was there too, and I swear at least half of the crowd was there for them only. And they fucking rocked. I loved them ever more than I did before, and we converted at least one person in our group who hadn't heard of them and just came for The Fray. She loves some Mannequin now.

SONNY YOU ARE A MARTYY!! CANT SAVE YOU COS YOU CHOSE YOURSELF!! SONNY IT ONLY GETD HARDERS!!! YOU START TO LOSE SIGHT OF THE COURSE!!! WAS IT EVEN THERE AT ALL!!! OR WAS IT IN YOUR HEAD!!

I haven't been lager drunk in ages...it's brilliant...all I want to do is sing.

Edited by YI

Man...I can't wait for Polar Bear Club at Leeds...really, really want to do the London thing and see them with AWS as well...such an amazing live band, was blasting the EP last night (given the random/mis-typed lyrics above :shifty:), fucking brilliant.

Edited by YI