Black Books

Summers

It's pretty awesome. I have the whole series on DVD, and it awoke me to Dylan Moran's awesomeness, so now I go and see him whenever he tours here. Bill Bailey too, but I was aware of him before Black Books.

I have Bernard holding up the paper saying "Pope Killed by Inferior Wine - Man Held" as my desktop.

"popekilledbyinferiorwine" was my brother's username on many places for quite some time. And my father's eBay name (largely my doing, though) was "iateallyourbees".

First series Black Books is superb, second is great, third has its moments but is easily the weakest, and resorts to sitcom convention a little too often - the first and second have better flashes of Father Ted-esque surrealism.

For some reason whenever I've not watched Black Books for a long time, I always seem to remember it as being especially dark - possibly just because of the character of Bernard - when really, it's bloody silly.

Favourite episodes were the Elephant and Hens one, and also The Cleaner like many above.

"But you can't taste anything! You smoke eight bajillion cigarettes a day! What's that?"

"What?!"

"What are you eating?"

"It's some sort of delicious biscuit."

"It's a coaster."

I think the show, like Fawlty Towers, ended at the right time - when it hadn't got stale and shit. One of my favourites of all time.

Gotta love black books. Always liked the series 3 episode where Bernard and Manny write the childrens book. The way they read out the story cracks me up everytime. also Manny talking playing with his breeze block and a bit of old bone. Need to pick up series 1 and 2 at some point love them all really. Shame there not repeated on G.O.L.D or Dave very often.