Street Fighter IV

Liam

I do like the Street Fighter games but I'm never any good at them. Got the Street Fighter Anniversary pack for the original Xbox a few years back and played a bit of Third Strike and I was awful. And I wasn't much better when I tried the new HD version of Super Street Fighter 2 from the Xbox Marketplace. If there's a demo though I'll certainly give it a shot, but I'm not gonna pay £40 for a game I'm just gonna get my ass handed to me repeatedly on.

There's no way I'm good enough to compete online, I can't be doing with all the hitboxes and all that nonsense, I just don't care enough. If it goes down in price at a later date I might pick it up, as the SF series is usually good for a drunken laguh with mates round. But then, The pads with the four button diamond formation are never great for the light/medium/heavy control set-ups.

Right, I was totally not interested in this. Then I played it on my lunch on Thursday with one of the guys and we had a blast, so me and Ad got it today. Graphically, it's wonderful. Not amazingly keen on the art style of the characters, but the backgrounds and special effects are simply breathtaking. The 360 pad isn't as big a concern as I had thought it might be - I still hit the occasional dragon punch when I'm trying for a Super/Ultra Combo Hadoken thing, but on the whole it responds well. Some of the achievements will be a bitch to get though.

So, anyonhe pick it up? And more importantly, who's up for an EWB tourney that blatantly won't get past the second round? I call shotgun on Ryu.

Who won the most between you and Dragsy?

I'm going to assume him since he's had some practise.

Also, people should find out when/if there is a demo.

Edited by Rear Admiral Ellis

We both had some fights straight off without any practice beforehand, he thumped me for the first five or so, then I got a few wins near the end but yeah he got the most wins. He's just better than me in fighting games with the exception of MK vs. DC which he's beaten me, like, once in about a bazillion attempts.

I had like two fights on Thursday, but yeah, experience on Anniversary on PS2 helped, the super-hadoken has the exact same controls. And Ad hasn't beaten me when we've both been full strength yet.

Word to the wise, if you're ever going for a win streak on XBL, and your opponent selects Zangief, back out/switch your console off/crash your modem. That fucking spinning punch thing is ridiculous. You can beat it if you can get a low roundhouse or something in, but half these cheesing fuckers use it so often, it's nigh-on impossible to get in without taking a few lumps, it's not worth the risk.

I've lost far more than I've won, which I'm gernerally not too fussed about. My problem is that there's a lot of folk using these cheesy characters or pulling off horribly annoying stunts like the Ryu/Ken crouching ankle-kick into oblivion strategy. It's not everyone, but I'd say only 3, maybe 4 fights out of 10 are actually enjoyable, with 2 actually being winnable (i.e. against someone who isn't a bloody hit-box nerd). If you're searching for matches, you may as well stick with stability as the preference, because "same skill" is either lying or broken.

I suck at this game, kinda. Haven't played a fighting game since Tekken 2 so I got smashed around by Rufus in my first fight. Finally settled on Zangief as my first main character, worked out how to do specials etc., and worked through Arcade on Medium. Seth - who has the stupidest name for a Captain Metropolis/Silver Surfer type of character - can suck my dick. HATE that guy. I do alright in the first round, then he starts busting out all these teleportation piledrivers and shoots me into oblivion and all that. Really pisses me off.

Im pretty swish with Dhalsim it seems, but the amount of people that are fucking Zangief online is absolutely ridiculous. Just got the achievement for no continues after the most epic battle with Seth that came down to us being on no health for about 15 seconds of the last round.

Oh and the Hard Trials can go fuck a dick.