Arcade game of dreams

Wow.

So, in Japan there is a massive multiplayer arcade game where players collect horse cards as if they're horse owners and then take them to the arcade to train them and then race them against other players in big rooms dedicated to the game. I've walked past a few times and it looks REALLY cool and I wish I spoke and read enough Japanese to play it.

Anyway it appears that Sega and Panini are producing a collectable footy card game where you build a squad through collecting cards and then play them off against eachother in arcades. That looks far too good.

:wub:

Oh, and any decent arcade machines you've seen recently?

I've never understood the application behind cards in arcades, then again i've never really tried to find out. Like this thing or fighting games or whatever. Do they sell the cards on the premises somewhere or do you have to buy them online?

I'm having a weird flashback to being in an arcade with Dragsy and his friend Graham and they had a football game like this?

Dragsy, clarify please.

Yeah, it's been done. About 5 years ago. but it was Luke, not G-Man, he got addicted, spent like £80 on his cards. In three weeks. (I spent £40, but shush, don't tell anyone). It was definitely Sega, I think it was Panini as well, but I cna't be certain.

It was quality though, it looked like Virtua Football, and you played by putting your cards on a flat surface that somehow read the cards and identified them, so you could put them in a formation on the playing surface, and they'd actually play that formation. Subs were just a matter of sliding one card on and the other off, and in between games you'd get to do training (where you'd get chemistry bonuses for cards practicing with each other loads) and player interaction as well. Even had leaderboards, although the highly imaginative folk of Southampton littered it with the likes of The Real Chelsea and Liverpool 2. My mighty Bay Bridge made it into the top ten, but I couldn't afford to keep playing (£2 per game, you got a card after every match).

All I know is that the shitty mini-arcade outside the movie theater here houses one of those tremendously bad "see how hard you can punch the bag" things, and despite being the most out of shape person there, I managed to score the highest out of all my friends. Closed fist forearm for the win!