Do you get names/numbers printed on your shirts/jerseys?

AJ

A sort of spin-off of the old what sports shirts do you own topics. What sports shirts do you own that you've had printed or in the case of pre-printed replicas (like NBA jerseys) which players do you go for? Also, do you maybe regret/are embarrassed by any of them?

As far as football shirts go, they're all Man Utd, which include the 90's purple (I was 11, but still, wtf was I thinking?) goalkeeper top printed with 1. Schmeichel. The latest white away shirt with 3. Evra. Then I had a few as a kid with my own nickname (Muzza) printed on with numbers of favourite players at the time which were the '95 strip (best ever) with Old Trafford in the background that I had number 7 printed on for Eric Cantona and the ill-fated grey away shirt with number 17 for Andy Cole.

The best of the lot though which always makes me smile when I think about it was when I'd asked for 11 for Giggs on the back of my blue/white striped away shirt but I was only allowed one number cause they were £3 each so I picked the next best possible number that I didn't already have... No. 5 - Lee Sharp :shifty:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't use to have numbers on the back of my football shirts but I have in recent years. I've had the Spurs home shirt for three seasons in a row now with Keane 10, then Berbatov 9 and Huddlestone 6. So going by those, expect Huddlestone to be sold in the summer... and then bought back in January. I also have a personalised England away shirt, the one before last, that says Dawson 27.

As for other sports, I have a Jagr 68 New York Rangers jersey and used to have a Hardaway 1 Orlando Magic top as well as a Starks 3 New York Knicks one.

I have more NFL jerseys than anything else; 22 E. Smith (blue Dallas Cowboys), 31 R. Williams (white Dallas Cowboys), 24 Barber (blue Thanksgiving throwback Dallas Cowboys), 4 Favre (green Green Bay Packers), 85 C. Johnson (black Cincinnati Bengals), 21 Tomlinson (white San Diego Chargers), 31 Cromartie (powder blue San Diego Chargers), and 31 Vasher (white Chicago Bears). My favourite would probably be the Barber or Cromartie jersey.

I used to be a goalkeeper when I was younger so I've got every Man Utd goalkeepers shirt from about 95-99 with 1. Schmeichel on them. I've also got the next 4 or 5 with 1. Matty on the back then after that I stopped with the keeper's shirts and went for the home shirt instead, my latest one has 8. Anderson on the back (Y)

I had a Barcelona shirt with Luis Enrique - 21 and Inter Christian Vieri - 32. Also a Japan shirt with number 7 for World Cup 2002. No idea who that was supposed to be. Egypt shirt with number 7 as well.

I only generally buy football tops if I go on holiday to a certain place. Makes for a good souvenir. I went to Barcelona, Milan and Egypt you see. I just got Japan cause I liked it though.

In April I'll be adding a Sunderland shirt to my collection! :D

I'm not a big jersey guy. Don't own any currently, but I just wanted to say that I think its the height of douchebaggery to put your own name on a jersey. Don't ask me why, just looks stupid to me.

I have it on tees but I think your point is still stupid. We've all been burned enough time buying jerseys and tees for guys and then they get traded or sign elsewhere. I have a Raptors one and an Angels one that I bought....and one Raptors one that was given to me.

I've just always felt that you don't play for the team, you don't deserve to have your name on the jersey. Just a pet peeve of mine, I'm not going to run out and bitch you out or something.

I've always that if you're a fan of the team you should have a Jersey or tee. Just a pet peeve of mine, I'm not going to run out and bitch you out or something. :shifty:

Also a Japan shirt with number 7 for World Cup 2002.

Probably the legend that was Hidetoshi Nakata, of Bolton loan-spell fame (along with a highly successful career in Italy). ;) Can't think of anyone else would would've DARED played right wing for Japan while he was available...

As for me, I have a Cornwall rugby shirt, and I plan on getting a Pirates one and possibly a France one. If I do get a France one, I'll probably have 8 on it (in rugby the number denotes the position only, you never have player names, like football in the 'olden days').

Football-wise I have an old 80's Arsenal shirt (with the HUGE JVC lettering), a late nineties Arsenal shirt, and I used to have the green 'keepers shirt from 90's but I dunno where it is. No names or numbers (I was tempted to get O'Leary- 14 on the 80's shirt, just for shits and giggles and to see the strange looks, but nah...). I've also got a 2004 Bristol Rovers home shirt and the sky and navy blue away shirt (sadly not the pink third strip :P). No numbers though. If I was to get a number, then clearly 9 - Lambert.

I'm not really a big fan of names and numbers on shirts, partly because it's so fucking expensive, but also because the shirt is likely to last a lot longer than the player (and a lot lot longer than the combination of player, team and squad number).

Edited by Farmer Reil

I'm possibly the only West Ham fan with a Frank Lampard top that was happy to wear it even after he moved to Chelsea. Also have a mid-90s Milan top with Albertini on the back which is getting a bit worn now. Haven't bought any in 10+ years though, would never really wear one.

Don't really have a problem with having your own name on a shirt, though I have the (possibly wrong) impression that kids are more likely to do it than adults. If you actually use your top when playing the sport in question it's probably more justified.

I'm not a big jersey guy. Don't own any currently, but I just wanted to say that I think its the height of douchebaggery to put your own name on a jersey. Don't ask me why, just looks stupid to me.

I'd never do it as an adult but it's common amongst kids. As a kid you dream of playing for your team, so getting your name/number on the kit makes sense in that way.

Oh and AJ, it's actually Lee Sharpe

Sorry, I'm really anal about stuff like that <_<

I knew that >_< Just a spelling mistake is all.

Forsberg Avs away Jersey

Forsberg Flyers away jersey

Forsberg Sweden yellow jersey

Mogilny Leafs home jersey

Mogilny Russia red jersey

Zetterberg Sweden yellow jersey

Nagy Coyotes home jersey

Gilmour Sabres away jersey

LaFontaine Sabres home jersey

Ray Sabres away jersey

Then I have a bunch of jerseys with no names or numbers on them. I try to get olympic jerseys of my favorite players, since they can't change countries and they'll probably be worth more. But yeah, I have a lot of hockey jerseys :rolleyes:

Yeah the 2002 Japanese number 7 was Nakata. I also have the home shirt from that World Cup but bought it as number 7 WITH Nakata printed on it as well. Their last group game was the last time he played for Japan so while I was gutted that he'd retired from international football, I was happy that I had his name on the final kit he played in. I chose to get the kit with his name on it cos he was synonimous with Japan back then.

Other than that I've never had a name on my shirts and never will.

Oh, basketball vests seem to always come with name already and so I have an old Kevin Garnett Timberwolves vest and, my holy grail, John Stockton Utah Jazz from the era of their finals battles with the Bulls.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I can't think of any pro team jersey that hasn't had a players name on it which I own(ed). I find they look kind of bare with nothing on them, and putting my own name also bothers me. I mean, unless it was some local team that had a jersey and I played for them and it was my name, but I think that ship has long sailed away.

Yeah the 2002 Japanese number 7 was Nakata. I also have the home shirt from that World Cup but bought it as number 7 WITH Nakata printed on it as well. Their last group game was the last time he played for Japan so while I was gutted that he'd retired from international football, I was happy that I had his name on the final kit he played in. I chose to get the kit with his name on it cos he was synonimous with Japan back then.

Actually he retired after the 2006 World Cup in Germany. Played all three of Japan's group games IIRC, then retired. :P