2009 MLB Season

sahyder1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So it turns out the "have absolutely no expectations for Lyle Overbay so he doesn't feel pressure" thing is actually a good idea.

Also, I was browsing around Baseball Reference earlier, and discovered a neat tradition of Cito Gaston's. In 1992, he decided to rest all his starters on the last day of the season, and we trotted out this lineup:

CF Derek Bell

RF Turner Ward

1B Domingo Martinez

LF Pat Tabler

DH Ed Sprague

C Randy Knorr

3B Tom Quinlan

2B Alfredo Griffin

SS Manny Lee

(Okay well Manny was a starter, but still.)

Then, in 1993, he did the same thing - but in the middle of September!

LF Rob Butler

SS Dick Schofield

3B Darnell Coles

1B Domingo Martinez

CF Turner Ward

RF Willie Canate

C Randy Knorr

2B Domingo Cedeno

DH Shawn Green

Don't exactly look like World Series-winning lineups to me. :shifty:

Cleveland with 14 runs so far in the top of the second. Anybody know the record for most runs in an inning?

Apparently in 1883 Chicago scored 18 runs in an inning Source: http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_runs2.shtml

Ball is just flying out of new Yankee Stadium. Could be trouble for them as they were relying on pitching. Absolutely loving the fact that Wang has an ERA of 34.5 after 3 starts. Now if Pavano comes in tomorrow and shuts out the Yankees for 6 innings I will be a really happy man.

The Jays continue their hot start today with an excellent top to bottom pitching performance from the staff. Ricky Romero goes 7 innings, strikes out 6 and gives up only 4 hits while walking two. Downs takes over for the third straight day and goes an excellent 1-2-3 inning while striking out two. Going into the 9th 1-0, Ryan comes in for a really solid 9th, getting Giambi to ground out and following up a blooper base hit off the end of Matt Holiday's bat with a strike-out of Jack Cust and an easy grounder from Eric Chavez. And appropriately enough, Lyle Overbay comes through with the RBI single to win it on Lyle Overbay Bobblehead day. With the win, the Jays clinch their 4th consecutive series victory to start the year, a feat they hadn't accomplished since 2001.

CC Sabathia sucks donkey meat. This guy is KILLING my fantasy team. If he wasn't taking the Yankees down with him I'd be really pissed off.

Join the club, naiwf. Join the club. I grabbed Sabathia and Santana both, counting on them to be my aces, and I'm already considering offering Sabathia up for trade if he doesn't do better his next start.

(Last year I picked up Erik Bedard counting on him to whip some ass on the mound, and he ended up on the DL twice)

CC Sabathia sucks donkey meat. This guy is KILLING my fantasy team. If he wasn't taking the Yankees down with him I'd be really pissed off.

Join the club, naiwf. Join the club. I grabbed Sabathia and Santana both, counting on them to be my aces, and I'm already considering offering Sabathia up for trade if he doesn't do better his next start.

(Last year I picked up Erik Bedard counting on him to whip some ass on the mound, and he ended up on the DL twice)

On a related note:

Adam Jones: .356 2 12 .455

A faint glimmer of hope coming out of Baltimore. That said, Bedard's been fantastic this year.

Edited by damshow

Has anyone been to New Yankee Stadium yet? I just booked my tickets for the 10th against the Jays and was wondering how good the view was from the grandstands.

I have tickets for July...27th...I believe it is. They're in the grandstands, too. But from what I've been told from a few friends that have been a couple of times, there isn't really a bad seat in the stadium.

So what is more impressive? 10 straight wins or 6 straight series wins?

Who got 6 straight series wins?

Am I correct in thinking the Jays? :wub: