Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown

Maxx

What gets me with American Idiot is that it appeals to a certain age and musical taste... and therefore isn't as open and longlasting as their other stuff. It's the perfect 13 year old view of politics, serious enough to have appeal, not serious enough to make you think once you see a gaping hole in their arguments.

Plus it was a huge rant at George W. Bush... capturing a moment... but now it doesn't work.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pre-ordered it. I am looking forward to this so much.

I listened to American Idiot from start to finish last night...still the best album I own by a long, long way. I think that album is easily, easily the best they've ever put out from a quality of sound, lyrically and number of good-to-brilliant songs on it.

So if it sounds anything like that this album will be quality. But it's got a high level to reach.

• 2 weeks later...

Maxx, drop me a PM about those bootlegs if you read this mate :)

Know Your Enemy doesn't sound too cracking, I prefer 21st Century Breakdown (the song, obviously), KYE is really repetitive, it might grow on me but if the album's mostly like that, I don't see me liking it.

VH1.com is leaking it on the 8th.

Second B-side just leaked out today, Hearts Collide, one of the poppiest Green Day songs I've ever heard and sounds like something between Warning and their Foxboro Hot Tubs stuff

Get in touch with me if you're interested

Edited by Vladimaxx Kozlov

Anyone know where I can score tickets for Manchester (either) or Sheffield at reasonable prices? My dickhead cousin told me they went on sale this Friday as opposed to last, ergo, I don't have any and they've sold out.

Anyone know where I can score tickets for Manchester (either) or Sheffield at reasonable prices? My dickhead cousin told me they went on sale this Friday as opposed to last, ergo, I don't have any and they've sold out.

Listened to 4 songs on youtube earlier. A big fat 'meh' from me. Green Day have never been the most 'exciting' band, but these songs seem so bland and mediocre and uninteresting, seriously if it wasn't Green Day, everyone would see these songs exactly for what they are.

"Know Your Enemy" is bloody annoying. My first impression, "hey this is kind of a catchy chorus...oh wait...it also appears to be the verse....actually...hang on...it's just the ENTIRE FUCKING SONG". Talk about taking a good idea and just beating it to the ground, then while it's lying there dying dropping a nice warm shit on it. Seriously, remember when you used to download songs from limewire and some cunt would have just looped the first 10 seconds of a song for 3-minutes? Well that cunt's Billie Joe Armstrong.

"21st Century Breakdown" is a mid-tempo dirge for the first couple of minutes. I quite like the drumming bit, and when it finally kicks in there's a period of 20 seconds or so which is good (but does just sound like every Green Day song ever :shifty:). But...again, I just can't get into it.

"Restless Heart Syndrome"...eugh, piano based dirge. Nothing happens.

"21 Guns"...eugh, acoustic based dirge, with 'grandiose' chorus. Nothing happens.

"American Eulogy"...hey, at least this isn't slow as fuck...the chorus just sounds 'off' though, it's really, really not good. I like the verse though. Probably the best song I've heard though. The end bit with "I DON'T WANNA LIVE IN THE MODERN WORLD!!" is catchy as fuck.

Also, lyrically all the songs seem as though they're extracts of some 'tortured' 14 year old scene kid's poetry blog.

Plus, I will at this time make note to the fact there's nothing cool about Tré Cool...he looks like a sex pest.

Just heard "Before the Lobotomy" and I really dig it, now to hear the rest of the leaked songs.

Edit: I agree with YI regarding "Know Your Enemy". And the piano is wank in 21st Century Breakdown, I mean seriously why, it doesn't need the piano, it'd sound better without it, I've listened to it a few times and just skip the piano now.

Edited by Footjob Fever

"21st Century Breakdown" is a mid-tempo dirge for the first couple of minutes. I quite like the drumming bit, and when it finally kicks in there's a period of 20 seconds or so which is good (but does just sound like every Green Day song ever :shifty:). But...again, I just can't get into it.

It sounds like a ceilidh.. >_>

I don't like first bit but the last three minutes of this one are quite good.

Know Your Enemy is just annoying.

Restless Heart Syndrome sounds like a rejected Paul McCartney song.

21 Guns sounds like a rejected John Lennon song. I quite like this one actually.

American Eulogy is the song here that's most like Green Day of old I'd say. Try as I might, I don't like it.

Before The Lobotomy is alright I suppose but probably overlong if anything. Slow bit doesn't work for me at all.

All in all it is nowhere near as bad as I was expecting given that I listened to it half asleep so I don't hear the lyrics. Certainly better than American Idiot. Might give it a listen if I know someone that picks it up.

Thing is Green Day are more often than not solid and catchy musically. It's more the lyrics that I hate, particularly since they've started taking themselves seriously.

Oh and American Idiot was shit musically and lyrically. <_< Except Extraordinary Girl and Are We The Waiting. I like them. Still shit lyrically.

Edited by metalman

Which verson of 21st Century Breakdown are you guys listening to? I'm pretty sure they toned down the piano in the album version

Also, no one found East Jesus Nowhere?

there you go, more to dislike. It sort of this album's Holiday. Edited by Vladimaxx Kozlov

Which verson of 21st Century Breakdown are you guys listening to? I'm pretty sure they toned down the piano in the album version

Also, no one found East Jesus Nowhere?

there you go, more to dislike. It sort of this album's Holiday.

I hadn't heard this one before. This might be my favourite one I've heard so far. The lyrics thing still applies of course. >_>

EDIT: Actually 21 guns is still my favourite. East Jesus Nowhere drags on a bit.

Edited by metalman

Oh hi free stream of entire album

http://www.wmuk-apache.co.uk/greenday/player.swf

For those who have disliked everything else they've heard so far, try Peacemaker and Last of the American Girls

Edited by Vladimaxx Kozlov